Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

amihohu
Beginner September 2013

bbq/hog roast experience

amihohu, 24 of May of 2012 at 10:41 Posted on Planning 0 38

Hello!

I'm after peoples experiences with BBQ/Hog roasts/hot buffets for the main meal at a reception. The problem is, our guest list looks to be about 100 for the day, and although we'd love a sit down served 3 course meal, because of cost, we may have to look to doing a bbq/hog roast type thing. Has anyone got any experience with how it works with a number around that large? We would ideally still like to have a table plan, and maybe for tables to be called up one at a time for their turn, but I don't know how well this works with 100 people? I'm a little worried that the first table will be on pudding before the last table has evening got up! If anyone has any suggestions/experience with this, it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

38 replies

Latest activity by Brian Parkes LSWPP (HIB), 25 of May of 2012 at 13:36
  • T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ok, do you want the truth?

I went to my friend's wedding 3 years ago where she had 110 people to the main part of her wedding. They had a table plan and tables were called up one at a time to help themselves to the buffet. We were called up second to last where there was hardly any food left and the table after us had nothing. They had to go to the garage over the road to get some crisps. It was awful!

I am guessing if you have enough food though, this wouldnt happen.

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

Eek that's terrible! Yeah I mean I would hope we'd make sure there was definately enough food, but we would be worried about the last table having to wait so long! I wonder if that was a fault of the catering company saying what they had was enough for the guests, or if the bride and groom simply hadn;'t ordered enough?

• R
    Beginner April 2013
    robinsr ·
    • Hide content

Hello Uhohima,

My Mum had a hog/beef roast for her summer wedding a coule of summer ago. It was really good- the guy cooked, carved and served and we had lots of bits to go with it like apple sauce and stuffing etc etc.

There were only about 60 guests so not as many as you will be feeding but loads of leftovers and a table just went up one at a time which seemed to work quite well. It was quite a relaxed garden party wedding though rather than a formal affair!

I guess it would depend on how many people are serving the hog as to how speedy it would be to feed 100 people.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We waited for about 40 minutes. If you want a buffet type meal though there's no getting around the fact that people have to queue and wait for their food.

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I guess that's the main problem! Mind you, saying that, the last wedding I went to was table service, and the head table had pretty much finished their main before we got our starters! I'm not sure if it was just that place being bad though.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds like bad service. That didnt happen at my wedding and it certainly hasnt happened at any wedding I've been to that had a sit down meal.

I hope I havent put you off? I am just not a fan of buffets at all as I dont like queuing for food. I am sure if you have enough servers and enough food (which I am sure you will) then it will be fine. I just think my friends didnt order enough food.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I shouldnt see numbers being a problem it is down to your caterer to ensure they have enough food you may just need 2 pigs. You can also get your caterer to set up two serving stations (a mirror of each other) so you can serve 2 tables at a time and reduce waiting time.

• B
    Beginner April 2011
    babypp2 ·
    • Hide content

Eek that's terrible! Yeah I mean I would hope we'd make sure there was definately enough food, but we would be worried about the last table having to wait so long!

• aliellen30
    Beginner July 2014
    aliellen30 ·
    • Hide content

Hey hun

i am cbm in a few weeks to my best mate and she is having a bbq sit down meal apparently her caterers are serving this at the tables so no queueing i have no idea how this is going to work so will let you know lol

might be someting worth considering xx

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

Hey Smiley smile

I did wonder about table service for it, but I don't know if the added cost of servers would just bring it up to a normal table served meal? Let me know how it works out though. Two serving stations could be a good possibility.

• C
    Beginner August 2012
    chloe_chloe ·
    • Hide content

To be honest I´m not a huge fan of having to stand around queuing up for a buffet at a wedding breakfast. I would much rather be served at the table, I find it much more enjoyable. I think buffets are difficult, especially for large numbers, as some tables will have to wait for ages. At one wedding I went to there was hardly anything left by the time we went up to eat and what was left was stone cold.

I appreciate that having a sit down meal makes the cost mount up though. You don´t have to have 3 courses - you could have your wedding cake as dessert and perhaps a cheese course? Or you could ask if the main courses could be served "family" style - ie where they bring large plates to the table where the guests help themselves. I´ve seen this done at a couple of weddings, one where they had various curries and another where each table had a roast leg of lamb and one guest was given the task of carving. This should cut the cost as there is less work involved for the caterers in plating everything up.

• aliellen30
    Beginner July 2014
    aliellen30 ·
    • Hide content

I know this might sound really random and might not go with your vision but why not have 2 -3 serving stations for the BBQ stuff then on each table have rolls and condiments you can DIY the sauces into pretty jars have bowls of salad etc that way u know know there will be loads to eat on each table and rule out the huge queing for a bread roll situation x

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

Ooh that could be a good idea! Thanks for all the advice/suggestions everyone Smiley smile

• SuperDuff
    Beginner November 2013
    SuperDuff ·
    • Hide content

I love the idea of hog roasts/BBQ types, but I think it would only really work well for a smaller amount of people. My manager had a hog roast instead of evening buffet, and I think there were about 80 people. We were lucky as one of the first in the queue, but I wouldn't like to know what the people at the back of the queue ended up with.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We had the same experience at a sit down BBQ buffet wedding, we were the last table to be called and there was barely any food left. Plus the top table had finished by the time we got any food so we felt like we had to rush.

On the other hand, we had a hog roast at a garden party style wedding with no table plan or table order to get food, people got up when they were ready and there were no problems at all. Much more relaxed and less of a conveyer belt!

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd much prefer something like this.

• J
    Beginner August 2013
    Jessie_bride ·
    • Hide content

I'm planning on having a cold starter on the tables for when people come in (I'm having 100 people seated with a table plan) then a BBQ/buffet (not confirmed yet) and then a served dessert. It cuts the cost down a little but still gives the choice of a buffet/BBQ.

I know that people generally prefer a three course sit down meal but if your budget doesn't allow/ if it's what you want then go for it! Can you chat to the cater/ venue to see what they say? I'd assume a decent caterer or venue can handle the numbers and provide enough food.

J x

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I never said that the OP shouldnt go with the buffet option, I was just sharing my opinion.

• V
    Beginner June 2012
    Vicloveschocolate ·
    • Hide content

We went to a wedding and we were on the last table to be served. There was a lot of meat still left (they had a hog roast) but it turned out that a lot of meat eaters just did not want to eat the pork and so opted for the vegetarian option. The vegetarian option completely ran out and the genuine vegetarians on our table could only have a main course of bread and salad.

So just one note of caution I would say is just make sure you cater for more vegetarians than perhaps you think you will have per people's dietary requirements.

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

We did think about the starter on the table thing, so that could definately be an option. We did also think about people getting it when they liked, but I'm just not sure how well that would work with 100 people? They may all end up just standing in a massive queue haha.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

He he, I have refrained from comment until now but, as a vegetarian, I can only agree wholeheartedly with this. The number of times I have been left with nothing at buffets etc because people just "fancy a bit of that veggie stuff". Also, to be brutally honest, hog roasts aren't great for me to be around - what would be the layout of the food bits - could a veggie get away from it but still be part of the party? You may also have to contend with people who don't eat pork for religious reasons?

• J
    Beginner August 2013
    Jessie_bride ·
    • Hide content

I'd chat to your venue or cateter and see what they suggest in terms of calling up tables/ free will?

Trcikers- I only meant I've had the OH family say they'd prefer a three course, and my bridesmaids gave me the same opinion so it seems like the most popular choice.

J x

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think, if you can afford it a sit down meal is the way to go. Just my opinion though!

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I'm actually a veggie too, (but the htb is a fierce meateater haha) so I'd make sure there was a good amount of veggie food Smiley laugh We only have a couple of veggies coming, and they aren't too bothered about the whole pig being stuck infront of them thing, so that shouldn't be a problem, although I hadn't thought about meateaters going for veggie more than the meat.

Ideally we would like a 3 course sit down, so I guess we'll have to count out the pennies and see what we can sort, perhaps not having a starter and canapes, just one or the other, and having our cake as the dessert (we were thinking of having a cheesecake wedding cake, so that could work well). Although the only thing that did slightly worry me about the sit down, is how the heck do you chose one meal for 100 people! (not including veggie version). Most places seem to offer loads of choice, but then you basically have to pick one starter, main and dessert for the lot. The chances of everyone liking what we pick seems rather slim... that was the thinking behind the bbq/hogroast/hot buffet thing, as we may be able to ahve a few more choices, 2 lots of meat, fish possibly etc.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

I had a guy last week put a policemans hat on whilst carving the meat.

I won't be considering him.

• DaffyB
    Beginner June 2012
    DaffyB ·
    • Hide content

I agree about making sure there's plenty of vegetarian options to go with a hog roast. I'm not a vegetarian but I don't like hog roasts. At a wedding i went to they had hog roast in the evening and there was no vegetarian option. I ended up eating stuffing on a bread roll.

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what we're having. Only 70 guests though so hopefully people won't have to queue for too long. We decided against choosing one main course for everyone because we wanted to give people a choice (not saying its a bad thing not to.) We've only got 2 veggies coming as well who are family so they know the plan and are fine with it.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

We had a buffet for 110 people and it was absolutely fine. Guests were very complimentary about the standard of the food adn the amount of choice. Plenty for everyone and service was very quick.

I'd worry about your vegetarian guests with a BBQ/hog roast. They usually get poor/no choice at this sort of event.

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

That's good to hear AmnesiaCustard, did you have a table by table going up thing going on?

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you can get away from the fact that the last table will be fed mains whilst others will be on desserts, with 100 people you have to queue. I really like the idea of serving it on the tables rather than getting up and queuing...I also think with buffets you sometimes risk the hierarchy aspect e.g if your last table up you feel a bit like the least important (or maybe that's just the way I think haha)

Again I agree with veggie stuff, make sure there plenty, I don't eat meat and i always feel I have to make sure I rush to get the veggie option before other meat eaters take it all haha

Good luck! X

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, we had a free for all! People just chatted to others while queuingand it was very friendly and no one had to wait too long.

And as I am a pescetarian our buffet was all veggie/fish with some platers of roast meat for those (OHs family) who can;t do without. I hate having to ask "what's in the samosas/quiche?" Everyone could tuck in!

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We LOVED our buffet and so did our guests. They still talk about the quality and choice of the food. So I disagree with Trickers!!! (but still love you fluffy!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics