Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner May 2013

Honeymoon Help

answerbacklou, 27 of March of 2012 at 16:09 Posted on Planning 0 9

I wonder if any of you can help.

I have posted this in the honeymoon section but wasn't sure how popular it was so thought i would post here aswell.

I have been looking at honeymoon destinations and have no idea where to go.

Due to H2Bs work we have to go in the fist two weeks in August, i have been looking in a couple of brochures and this seems to be the wet season for all the Caribbean islands. We want somewhere where we can relax, have a bit of luxury and go on some exciting trips.

So i was wondering if anyone has any suggestion of where we could go or if anyone has been anywhere they would recommend? Also if anyone been to the Caribbean in the wet season how wet is it ?

I haven't a clue where to go so i am open to all ideas

Thank you in advance

9 replies

Latest activity by answerbacklou, 28 of March of 2012 at 12:12
  • S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

Hi.

My husband and I married in July and so we were honeymooning in August. We went to the Dominican Repbulic to an all inclusive resort (not one of the Sandals ones). We knew how much we had to spend and we wanted to have a couple of excersions as well. We had got hold of brochures and were looking about. We found a nice hotel, wasnt as expensive or as many stars as some of the others, but it served our needs fine. It had a private beach, although there was access to the public beach if you wanted to go along for a wander.

I would certainly advise a private beach if you go to a caribbean resort, the main reason I say this is when we were there (and we are talking 15 years ago!) the public beach was full of "hawkers" wanting to sell you things (everything from sun hats to t-shirts!). We even had one approach us at the "barrier" between the private and public beach who wanted to buy my husbands trainers!

I will tell you that it rained about one day. It was warm rain.

I hope that has helped

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I went to Jamaica in the last 2 weeks of August in 2009 and had no problems. I'd also been to Florida in July/August several times as a kid which was similar.

Mornings were always beautiful. Every couple of days, it would get overcast mid afternoon, have a massive downpour and then it'd be fine. One day there was a spectacular storm with thunder and lightning, but that was only one day.

Don't be put off the Caribbean because of the time of year. Jamaica was one of my favourite holidays ever, although I haven't been to any other islands.

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    sue250 ·
    • Hide content

Were going to Aruba which is in the Caribbean - it doesn't really have the typical wet season of other Caribbean islands. The “rainy season“ is end of october to january. It is also outside of the hurricane belt so you wouldn't be affected by them either. I looked into it before we booked and May is classed as the wet season in some of the other islands we looked at. Aruba might be worth a look if you fancy the Caribbean without the rain Smiley smile

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Wet season isn't really that wet. Not in my experience anyway. I went to the Dominican Republic in June and it rained for 20 minutes at 8.30pm on the 1st night and that was it. Perfectly dry for the next 10 days! Florida is the same weather and during a 3 week holiday there in July/August, it would pour and pour for about 15 mins and then dry just as quick as it came!! Maybe once or twice a day. Really not enough to stop me going again or discourage others from going during this time!!

Obviously I am biased but I'd highly recommend the Dominican Republic. Its the largest of the islands so there are so many amazing excursions to do. In a 10 night holidays we did 3 days of trips.

1) Monster truck safari (the zebra one which went off roading, better than the tiger one) - visiting a local school, house, farm in the 'jungle' - and stopped for lunch up in the hills and had a swim in the river. Paradise!

2) Dolphin swimming at Ocean World and shark swimming too!! Terrifying but amazing!! And a bargain to compared to other places like Florida. £120 for both I think it was.

3) Nothern Highlights - Rum factory! (With free drinks), jewellry factory, dinner at cafe with monkeys haha! and visited a colonial fort.

Also, our hotel was gorgeous. Four star plus Gran Ventana Beach Resort - all inclusive, water activities etc. Stunning place - bar in the pool! And lovely and relaxed, not like some of the stuffy looking hotels we drove past. All white and minimalistic and stuck up!

Amazing island! I am desperate to get back to the Caribbean for my honeymoon and try another island this time.

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    MrsB2013 ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married in Sept and pretty much the same - we have looked into this and the places out with wet season (if you dont want to risk it) is Europe, America, Kenya, Aruba or Mauritus.

We are between two totally different ideas of two weeks luxury in Greece or a west coast trip of america!

• lamby
    Beginner August 2010
    lamby ·
    • Hide content

We got married in August so had the same dilemma. I've heard lots of people went to Mexico at that time (our original choice) and didn't mind the rain, they sort of planned their day around it, so always went for a siesta at 3 pm say. For us, as we were spending loads of dosh and it was going to be our most special ever holiday, we decided we didn't want to that really, and wanted to go somewhere not monsoony / rainy, so we went for Hawaii and Vegas instead which was fab!

It really depends how important it is to you, and you could be really lucky and get hardly any rain, it's just if you are prepared to take that chance, and if it does rain a lot, especially if you're on an all day excursion, how much it will bother you?

Good luck deciding, it's a nice dilemma to have really! ?

• princesssaraht
    Beginner December 2012
    princesssaraht ·
    • Hide content

We went to the Dominican Republic in the wet season and I have to admit it rained from about 2pm until 6pm 10 out of 14 days. On the last day the hotel grounds actually flooded, the weather was so bad! sorry to put a dampener (excuse the pun!) on everyone elses posts!

• gsijane
    Beginner September 2011
    gsijane ·
    • Hide content

WE got married sept last year and went on honeymoon to St Lucia, although we got told it was hurricane season we only saw rain once! It was fantastic. we stayed at Coconut bay beach resort and spa

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

We had a similar dilemma and it took us weeks of deliberating to settle on a plan. The travel agent was trying to talk us into Bali as apparently it's a gorgeous spot and the weather at that time of year will be perfect. We also considered the states and then had a very serious look at Borneo to go and see the orange monkeys (can't spell tonight!!) in the wild as well as stay in a hut on stilts but it was all getting out of hand financially. So we settled on the south of france including a week in Corsica! Morocco is another good option and there's a place called La Pause just outside of Marrakech would looks unbelievably lush.

• A
    Beginner May 2013
    answerbacklou ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your help, you have definitely given us something to thin about Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics