Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner June 2013

Dissertation at uni

mrs-roth-to-be, 11 of March of 2012 at 20:45 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 19

Not long to go to hand in my 10,000 word assignment (doing an event management degree, so topic is on skills and attributes needed to be a conference and banqueting manager in Liverpool). But theres a small problem, have got roughly half way and am stuck..... oops :s not looking good now

19 replies

Latest activity by venart, 14 of March of 2012 at 10:30
  • smazzy_smoo
    Beginner June 2014
    smazzy_smoo ·
    • Hide content

Soooooo many words!!! I'm glad I didn't have to do that many for mine! We have a max of 4000, couldn't go one word over!! Are you enjoying what you're writing about? xxx

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Snap.

Mine is **** words on the relationship between the state, doctor's and general managers. Got to about 4000 words but lost all motivation.

Under 2 weeks till last draft is due and then 6 weeks till the final copy is due. AHHHHHH. Plus another 2x 3000 word essays and a 2000 word essay due in

Hope you get through it soon, just don't bury your head in the sand about it as I'm doing at the moment!

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

maybe you could use examples of where people have handled it well or badly by asking for people's experiences on Forums like these.

Apologies if you already have.

For instance I have dealinggs with hotels who arrange wedding fairs and experiences vary widely to give good or bad experiences and encourage me to go back or not.

• TheNinjaPigeon
    Beginner January 2011
    TheNinjaPigeon ·
    • Hide content

I am soooo glad my dissertation is behind me. 10,000 words on Arbitration and Mediation as an Alternative to Litigation Through the Court. I managed by doing a list of headings that I needed to cover and under each of those a list of points to talk about. It was easier to add to the skeleton of it so I could think of new areas and ideas to write about than to just get stuck in. Good luck!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Try writing a PhD thesis. Then you'll wish it was *just* 10,000 words!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

You should have a supervisor for your dissertation who will help you move on to the next stage or identify where you're tied yourself up. You should go and see him/her, take what you've written so far and get them to look over it.

• M
    Beginner June 2013
    mrs-roth-to-be ·
    • Hide content

Spent forever in the library yday, didnt leave uni til nrli 8pm. But.... go most of it done. found out it only has to be 8,000 - 10,000 words and only need another 400 words!!! woooo!!!!!!

yea i do enjoy writing about this topic as its interesting and can actually be useful to myself lol

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its all go in your life eh?!! If you are that stuck on it see your tutor? When does it have to be in for, would be very wary of rushing it as they are normally so heavily weighted.

8000 words sounds quite little unless there is a practical element? I did an "easy peasey arts degree" and still had to do 15,000 words!- I was so put off doing a MA after writing my dissertation- too many words.

Oh and 8 years on, I still have a reoccuring nightmare that I need to hand my dissertation in the next day and I havnt started. ☹️

• M
    Beginner June 2013
    mrs-roth-to-be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

yep it is *mini* lol none stop atm. Its not that its not easy to write, the introduction, methodology, results and discussion, conclusion, limiations and reecommendations are easy to do, but its my literature review that am really struggling with because theres not any literature on the exact subject, which is decreasing the word count and the literature that there is out there doesnt really relate to the topic so there is minmal words in ma literature review. Hope its ok apart from that though

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I already have nightmares the deadline will come and I'll have nothing to hand in. I still have over a year until the ultimate deadline, I hope it's not a premonition!

Wedding planning (and Hitched) does not make for successful writing up!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was about to say this, just with Masters instead. Although.. I struggled to keep it within the limit- I ended up almost 5,000 words over.. oops. Still got an awesome mark, though. My suggestion if you're stuck is to leave it for at least 48 hours, then go back and read what you've done from the beginning. By the time you get to where you were stopped, the words will be flowing again!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That worked fantastically when I was stuck on mine. It also helped me spot the bits where I'd wandered off and was talking absolute drivel for about 500 words!

• M
    Beginner June 2013
    mrs-roth-to-be ·
    • Hide content

I would but i started my work placement today, which is an hour away, and am there til about 6.30pm tomorrow so fingers crossed i can make it to uni n hand it in. so not really got much time Smiley sad

• M
    Beginner June 2013
    mrs-roth-to-be ·
    • Hide content

Not when iv got to go straight from placement to hand it in, its gonna take me bwt 90 mins if its clear to go from placement to uni and to hand it in before 8.15pm

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Eeek! Good luck!

As somone who always has stuff completed well within deadlines (and bearing in mind that what I do for a living is largely writing stuff to deadlines"!) I am amazed that you can leave it so close to the wire. I'd be cacking myself!

Hope it goes well.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh! well, there's my advice out the window ?

Don't forget to read your footnotes as well! When I got mine back I noticed that one of my footnotes just said "[Author], [Title], GET PUBLICATION INFO!!!"

.....I'm mortified that it is bound and in the library like this.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics