Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner April 2012

Fizz: Champagne, Prosecco or Cava?

clarabella1972, 6 of December of 2011 at 14:42 Posted on Planning 0 21

I'm a red wine girl - champagne and other fizz is a complete mystery to me. Is it really worth the extra cost in terms of taste and appearance to have real champagne or are you going for an alternative such as prosecco or cava?

It seems to me that this is the perfect time to get good deals on such things as all the supermarkets are doing special offers so I am keen to stock up!

21 replies

Latest activity by Mellow_Yellow, 7 of December of 2011 at 23:39
  • L
    Beginner September 2012
    LeicesterBride ·
    • Hide content

Personally, I think a fizz that you like, whatever it's called, is fine.

I'm a massive champagne fan, and loads of our firends are loaded (we're not!) and when we go to their's for anything we have teh real deal. however, I don't freel bad in any way that we're proposing ot serve alternative fizz.

You can get decent prosecco on sale, or Cava at full price, for about £5-£7 and provided you (or someone close to you that likes fizz!) says it's not rubbish, then that'll be fine. *Must* taste nice, though. Not just cheap for thesake of cheap. this is, in my opinion, perfectly do-able ?

We're having pre-christmas drinkies at ours with some friends and have bought a sleection of cheaper fizz with which we shall be conducting blind tasting! We've printed cards for coments/scores too - the winner will likely be selected as our wedding fizz of choice !

HTH

xx

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    clarabella1972 ·
    • Hide content

That is a brilliant idea! Can I nick it?

Can you also share your scores with me?

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

What leicesterbride said, as long as it tastes nice i dont think it matters if its a £50 bottle or a £5 bottle, like the idea of a taste test though x

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

We're going for a demi-sec sparkling wine. My dad is seriously into his wine and this was his suggestion as he felt a demi-sec would appeal to the greater number of pallets. personally i think going for actual champagne is unnecessary on this occassion. a lot of people won't see the bottle and if you shop around you can get stuff that tastes great, without the price tag.

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

Like above, for our table wine we did a wine tasting with friends at home. was great fun!!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

A good quality Cava is better than a budget-conscious Champagne.

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    clarabella1972 ·
    • Hide content

I think a taste test is probably the way forward, but i can see us getting trollied if there are, say, 6 bottles to test between 4 or 6 of us. ouch!

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Completely agree with leicesterbride and Footlong, we had Prosecco at our wedding, I personally prefer a good prosecco to plenty of champagne and certainly any I could afford to serve to a lot of people!

• teapotty
    Beginner October 2013
    teapotty ·
    • Hide content

We had lambrusco at our engagement party and loads of people commented how nice it was and asked what it was and where it was from.......£2.28 per bottle from Asda!!!

• Jokaty82
    Beginner May 2012
    Jokaty82 ·
    • Hide content

I LOVE Prosecco. Always gets my vote, much easier to drink than champagne xx

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

I'm a red wine girl too, but do like a nice pink Moet. However, we are having cava on our tables and I've bought some pink Moet to give out to family / guests.

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    clarabella1972 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Would you recommend any particular ones to try? Why is it easier to drink?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lighter, fresher, more crisp, less sophisticated a taste (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

We had 'real' Champagne but only because we got it at an amazing deal... Sainsbury's were selling Lanson and Heidsieck for less than half price and then offered another 10% off if you bought 6. We had to do quite a few trips, four people at four different tills, buying bottles until we had enough! We also had a venue with no corkage fee so it worked out to be affordable... about £12 a bottle IIRC.

The bottles of champagne and the red/white wine were out at the beginning of the evening and then given out at the bar, so we wanted to have nice-looking labels haha!

If we'd been at a more 'normal' wedding venue though with more expensive bar prices it'd probably have been prosecco, as some other ladies have said I find it preferable to Cava and easier to drink.

• C
    Beginner June 2012
    Country Flower ·
    • Hide content

We are supplying our own Fizz for the toast and after working many years in event management had decided that I didn't want 'real' Champagne as lots of poeple don't like it and the others (mostly) don't know the difference. Having said that we were just about to go for the real thing but I changed my mind at the last minute.

Whilst we were at our wine supplier I learned some useful information. Apparently champagne is fizzy because of the fermentation process. Sparkling wines such as Cava and Prosecco have the fizz added afterward (like fizzy pop). This means that the Champagne bubbles stay longer - this is important for us as we are serving Hibiscus Flowers in our 'Fizz' which may mean that it is poured away from the table and served in the glass. (therefore time taken to get from bar to table). However you can get a 'champagne process' sparkling wine - made the same way as champagne but not in the champagne region. The one we are getting is Austrailian and was around £11 per bottle from our supplier, less than half the price of champagne.

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    clarabella1972 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I came across those yesterday for the first time and was wondering about using them for the wedding. Are they a gimick or do they do anything to the drink apart from look nice?

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

We served champagne for the toast (and for getting ready in the morning!) and a NZ 'champage' (Deutz - Majestic wine) for general quoffing.

Which you serve should depend on what you like to drink and your budget. I'd prefer a decent quality prosecco over a cheap champagne. Also, if you're on a tight budget I'd avoid the sweeter stuff as it tastes cheap.

• C
    Beginner June 2012
    Country Flower ·
    • Hide content

They do look pretty, they give a slightly sweet taste too. We are going to buy a Jar to try over Christmas but I'm 99% sure I want them. Going back to the thing about the Fizziness though - the sugar in the flowers will make the fizz go quicker, hence the need to use with a Champagne or Champagne process wine x

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

We had champagne at the church straight after the wedding for everyone which we had bought at the venue we had prosecco.

• R
    Beginner June 2012
    Randomsabreur ·
    • Hide content

We're having a French (non Champagne region) methode traditionelle vin mousseux for everything. Had it many times with my parents (from their favourite vineyard) and knew we like it more than most Champagnes. The vineyard is in Valencay, in one of the main French winemaking regions and the Fizz cost 5.50 Euros/bottle. It's not far from Champagne really, but as it's not in the "right" place it doesn't command the extra for the name. Also helps buying by the case direct from the maker...

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I personally like champagne, prosecco, and cava - in that order ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics