Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner

wedding dress box? and *flash* of my odd ring :)

dimpie, 22 of August of 2011 at 17:34 Posted on Planning 0 15

Ladies, I'm having an overseas wedding and just found out that the wedding dress travel box is sold at over £50 pound in the dress shop (like they don't know how many bills I'm already receiving!!!)

I now have decided to buy the box and ask them to pack it in the shop. I know there are many cheaper options online like on eBay, but can anyone recommend any good ones? I plan to carry the box as my only hand luggage, so good quality and suitable size are crucial.

And almost had a big argument with my side of the family over our wedding ring - We changed our plan and went for a sapphire ring because:

- sapphire is the birthstone of my OH, that makes it very special to us

- it's called 'stone of destiny' or 'The stone of loyalty and fidelity'... Sold! ?

- stands for qualities required in a healthy relationship, like loyalty, faithfulness, truth, sincerity, constancy and reliability... sold again! ?

I know it is a rare and odd choice for a wedding ring, but I thought my family would really support and respect our choice, which unfortunately, wasn't the case!!! Everyone wants to have some personal touch to their wedding, and why can't they accept that we want to do it in the way that's special to us as a couple and not necessarily tick everyone's boxes?

Yepp! I know it's my own big day and I should stand by my choice, but I do start to feel the pressure from family and friends. Sweet struggle!!!

15 replies

Latest activity by kellouloud, 23 of October of 2012 at 10:27
  • tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

My sister got married abroad and had her dress packed into a little suitcase (hand luggage size) i think she got it in tk maxx for £10-15. might be an option for you. check with your airline for size & weight restrictions. plus i love your ring, it is beautiful & its so nice that you chose it fotr its meanings, very sweet

• D
    Beginner
    dimpie ·
    • Hide content

Thank you!! It's very helpful! Smiley smile

• Banana88
    Beginner May 2012
    Banana88 ·
    • Hide content

I don't have a clue about the dress box - sorry! ?

But just wanted to say I too like your choice of ring and that you chose it because it means something to you and not because it's just a standard/plain wedding band. Ignore your family, it's beautiful! At the end of the day it's you that has to wear it ... If you're happy with it, that's all that matters! x

• Frugal Splurger
    Beginner September 2011
    Frugal Splurger ·
    • Hide content

Hi! I am also getting married abroad and will be having my dress packed into a dress box. I got mine 2nd hand off Ebay (it was originally one of the Empty Box Company ones with the floral pattern on) and it was about £20 instead of £60. I am just going to ask friends and family on our flight to write good luck messages for me on the box on the way there to make it more personal to me. There are other types of boxes on ebay that are approx £20 but they're plain white ones with plastic handles - not as elegant as the Empty Box ones but they do the job! Other than that i have heard of people just packing them into a normal hand luggage case? Good luck!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Can't comment re box, but I like the idea of the small suitcase- you can use it again after the wedding, and you use the pockets of it to put magazines/books etc. Also, you can get ones that specifically fit the dimensions of the cabin baggage (they state it on the label).

I think the ring is lovely, I have always loved sapphires. Whislt I think it;s an unusual shape for WR and looks more like an ER, if you love it, have it! It has nothing to do with your parents.

Just to through a suggestion into the mix, have you thought about having a WR that is an enternity ring with alternate diamonds/sapphires?

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Dilly Dandy- love your WR BTW. I love the mix of metals ?

• D
    Beginner
    dimpie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

... And I have to wear it for many years. Got to get the one I love! xx Thanks for the lovely msg.

• D
    Beginner
    dimpie ·
    • Hide content

That's exactly the reason I changed my mind and went for a ring that makes me feel special. ? Thanks for the pic support ? I like those colours too!

• D
    Beginner
    dimpie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Empty Box does have some designs that I like. I was thinking of just packing it in a normal hand luggage case as well, but wasn't brave enough to take the rick. If any thing happened, I probably had to show up at my wedding in vest & short & flip flop lol

• D
    Beginner
    dimpie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have already bought mine ... but that's a very nice ring!

• T
    Beginner January 2011
    Taffeta23 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I purchased a Wedding Travel Box for my sister from the Empty Box Company website and it was only £31.50 plus postage, and it is made to preserve the dress after the day so better really than a suitcase. They are not as expensive as you think! It was in a beautiful paper design as well and it was my present to her and she just loved it!

• EAC13
    Beginner June 2013
    EAC13 ·
    • Hide content

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your ring, it's gorgeous. Have what you want, everyone else will get over it in a short time x

• carter89
    Beginner May 2013
    carter89 ·
    • Hide content

Http://www.lifememoriesbox.co.uk/luxury-wedding-dress-travel-box-with-personalisation-and-ribbon-16-p.asp

Hopefully this works, im thinking of getting mine from here, they are recommended by Thomson and First Choice and £27.00 x

• K
    Beginner January 2012
    kellouloud ·
    • Hide content

I for married in Florida 1st time round I just packed my dress in a normal case ! There was no problems with it, I just hung it up in the shower room that sorted any creasers

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics