Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

How are you using your wedding colours?

6 of August of 2011 at 15:18 Posted on Planning 0 17

So in the crash course in wedding planning I've had over the last few months since I started planning, I've noticed that when people talk about "my wedding colours" they don't always mean the same thing - people may or may not use their colours for the flowers, or the bridesmaids' dresses, or the stationery. So I wondered where and how people are using their colours ie how you are implementing your colour scheme? I know what I think I'm probably going to do, just being nosy.

17 replies

Latest activity by rachb3, 6 of August of 2011 at 19:44
  • moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

My colours will be used in the bridesmaids dresses, the mens ties, the flowers, the stationary and any other little details that can tie in

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Our "colour" was turquoise and we had it in the invitations, bridesmaids dress, band on the flowergirl dress, the room and best man's ties, the ribbon on the flowers, my evening shoes, my mum's outfit, the table crystals, the ribbon on the cake, the OOS, the favours (beads and organza bags)...

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Ours is a bit complicated Smiley smile

Our main colours are ivory and hunter green. The bride's dress is ivory, the bridesmaids are in hunter green. The men in the bridal party will be wearing their own suits and shirts, but all have a hunter green tie to wear. Me and the Best Man, and FoB will have hunter green waistcoats, and I will be wearing an ivory shirt (courtesy of our very own BespokeTailor).

As we're getting married in the New Forest in autumn, we're bringing in autumnal accents of reds, golds, yellows, orange, brown etc on the petals our flowergirl is scattering in front of the bridal party, and on the tables (scuse the coke can, this picture was taken for another purpose)

As autumn is also harvest time, we're using dried cereals (wheat, oats, barley, linseed) and lavender in our table centrepieces.

The guest tables will have white tablecloths (they charged too much extra for ivory) and hunter green centre squares, and the top table runner will be hunter green. There will be a hunter green 'swag' with burgundy silk roses on the top table.

The bouquets etc are burgundy and ivory roses.

Our invitations are ivory and hunter green. This is the image we've used on the cover, and features within our wedding stationary, thankyous, etc - also the forest background without us on it is used on our table decorations etc.

The bridesmaids "dolly bags" are ivory with green ribbon attached to them.

We've got some silk ivy and autumnal leaf garlands which will also be used to decorate various bits around the room like the ceremony table, top table and handrails on the bannisters.

Favours are again hunter green and ivory organza bags.

Finally, during the ceremony, we have 'row ends' on the chairs of some dark green pampas grass type stuff from Ikea, in bundles, and tied with ivory or hunter green florist bows and these will alternate in colours up the aisle. These specially decorated chairs will become the top table chairs after the ceremony.

It also helps that our room has ivory/cream fabric chairs and walls, and a dark red/burgundy carpet and curtains. It wasn't set up for a wedding when we took the picture.

If I ever get an email back from them, I also plan to have green uplighters dotted around the room for the evening to give it a bit of colour, but it doesn't matter if we don't.

Hope that is of help.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

I don't know what my colour scheme is!

I've thought about purple, blue and greens mixed together. I originally wanted Lavender as the bouquet/table centres but turns out its probably too late in the season for fresh lavender, but might look at dried lavender like AJ has used. I was going to use a pale green for the bridesmaid dresses in that case.

My Save the dates were celadon green, aqua blue and white. Not even a hint of lavender in there...

Other than that I don't know what we're going to do.

• Zoexx
    Beginner July 2012
    Zoexx ·
    • Hide content

Mine is Cadburys purple, I'm using different shades of purple for the flowers, my centre pieces are silver so I'll have purple petals on the tables and my invites are ivory and purple....a bit of a mix but keeping in the purple theme!

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    mrs jenkins 2 b ·
    • Hide content

Mine are a bit boring there ivory and gold but might include navy blue

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Our colours are sage green and dusky pink, but I didn't think OH would like to wear pink so the green is our main colour

So the men will probably have green cravats, the BMs are in green, the FGs will have pink sashes and we'll have pink/ivory/green flowers

The table decorations will have mainly greenery with pink and ivory flowers. Favours will have green ribbon. Cake will have green accents and a smidge of pink. Etc Etc

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

We weren't really going to have specific colours as such. I know I want(ed) heather/cornflowers on the tables tied with a tartan ribbon (my father's family tartan which is bluish green) and I also like sage green. I wasn't going to have a "bridesmaid" as such either. We were simply going to give important people (Mums, Dads, my best mate, J's best man and J's brothers) corsages and buttonholes to mark them out.

Then the wedding dress shop offered me a free BM dress, and I told my friend she could order what she wanted, knowing she likes sage green. She's chosen a very very bright teal blue. Almost turquoise and not at all what I like. Hmmm. So now I have to think of cheap, country-style flowers that will match. Ah well. I don't want to dictate what ties the men wear, but I have a feeling I'm going to have to ask them to wear sthg in a similar colour just because I now seem to have acquired a bridesmaid.

As far as stationery is concerned, our STDs are green and white because it was an existing template on vistaprint that cost pennies. The actual invitations will have a photo of either us or where we got engaged on them, so no colour scheme there. I don't think people will remember colours too much tbh.

However, you want Bridezilla? Oooh my first wedding was like that. I had a pale gold dress and banned white from the day. To the extent that the men had to buy ivory shirts, I had to hire ivory and pale gold table linen because the venue's was white. All invitations were ivory and gold, my BMs were in a darker shade of gold, the cake was chocolate with gold ribbon, men were in gold waistcoats and cravats, Flowers were "fire colours", no pastels or soft ivories. In all honesty it looked amazing, but the stress, cost and control-freakery won't be repeated LOL!!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

It's not easy to explain really, being almost three themes in one (green/ivory > autumn/forest > harvest) and as we had all the pictures having previously been flashed on here it was just a matter of putting the image links in from my online storage area.

I think that, with a lot of these sort of colour scheme ideas, it's all "in the mind" and not easy to actually explain to someone else, so illustrations (I guess a 'mood board' of sorts) seemed to be the way to go. I think a lot of ideas are quite organic, and change as we are out and about we see things we hadn't thought of (such as the row end decorations when we were in Ikea buying the vases) so they do change - occasionally quite drastically - as our plans progress.

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

Our colour scheme is Ivory and a light cappuccino with accents of dusky pink. The colours won't feature greatly but My dress is Ivory, the BM dresses are a shade of cappuccino, the Flowers are dusky pink and the Mens suits will feature cappuccino cravats.

The table centre pieces are candelabras with ivory pearls draped over them and the other accessories around the room will be ivory/vintage chic. Hopefully it will all come together!

?

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

We are having black and white gingham checks.

We have used them on the STD cards, invitations, place setting cards, centre pieces and our table seating plan.

We are also having gingham/check ribbon on FG dresses, gingham bags for FG's, and the gents will be having gingham pocket hankies.

• R
    Beginner
    rachb3 ·
    • Hide content

Our colours are ivory/cream, and slate grey. Me and my girls are having all cream bouquets and the men cream flower button holes, my dress is ivory, the invites and OOS were/are ivory, the bridesmaid dresses, all ribbon, luggage tags for the wishing tree, some room dec flower arrangements, are grey. We have 15 big mirrors in the venue and we intend to hang large hearts of different styles from grey ribbon over the glass of each one. Oh, and the men suits are grey with a lighter grey cravat.

It all seemed very clear to me, but AJ is quite right, as I'm writing it it is more in my mind! x

• R
    Beginner
    rachb3 ·
    • Hide content

These colours sound fab enterflora, I can't wait to see your wedding report! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics