Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner August 2011

coach hire

madmo247, 24 of June of 2010 at 19:01 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi all,

i am new to this site. i was just wondering if anyone was having any problems with coach hire for their wedding. i have been quoted crazy prices. any help is much appreciated.

maureen?

13 replies

Latest activity by Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019, 17 of July of 2018 at 13:06
  • MrsKeating2B
    Beginner April 2011
    MrsKeating2B ·
    • Hide content

Hellooo.. i tried looking at coach hire prices not 4 wedding but for my hen doo.. unbelieveably i found that if you are only having say 16 or so people its cheaper to hire a limo bus which is obviously alot nicer.. i hired a 16 seater bus to take me from leeds to nottingham and back the next day for just 595.. obviously it would be a hell of alot cheaper for the one day and for lesss miles.. but i was quoted the same thing for a coach and it was 700 x

• M
    Beginner August 2011
    madmo247 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

thanks for the reply. i need 1 49 seater coach to take people from the church to the reception venue and one to take my evening guest to the venue. i also need the 2 coaches to return and pick everyone up. i have been quoted from £800 upwards. i don't know if that is the norm or they are taking the mic lol.

• MrsKeating2B
    Beginner April 2011
    MrsKeating2B ·
    • Hide content

If that is 800 for 2 big coaches for all the trips id say that was good really! Smiley smile your very kind organising all that for your guests! x

• Beckyv83
    Beginner September 2010
    Beckyv83 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I found similar to you. I needed a large 50 seater to take day guests to the venue, then evening guests to the venue and then two retuen journeys.

I got quoted £700, £800 and then i tried a local coach company and am paying £300, which is a bargain. I am in Southampton if that is any help.

Maybe try looking for a local company rather than a national one.

• lamby
    Beginner August 2010
    lamby ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I agree to try and find local, smaller companies. We were originally wanting one of those lovely old red buses but for one 20 minute journey, 60 seater, it was £600 - erm, was thinking more like £80!! The cheapest we found a 70 seater was £100 but in the end after aallllooottt of thought decided to just hire a mini bus firm and driver - 16 seater - to transport our family from church to venue, as we realised it might get a bit confusing/more work for us trying to co-ordinate who was going on the coach, and worrying people would hop on when they originally said they were driving etc and someone would be stranded! Still found a big variety in price - got our 16 seater for £45 in end and the same again to take them back to their hotels after the eve reception.

It's really lovely of you to transport guests, but if you can't afford that much (who can!!) then I really wouldn't worry - I wanted to do everything for them but I've never been to a wedding that has provided transport - have always navigated my own way between my hotel, church, venue and back and never thought twice. It's a nice gesture but really won't be expected x

• lateweddingdate
    Beginner August 2010
    lateweddingdate ·
    • Hide content

Hi, we have booked ours with the local bus company we are paying £150 but our journey is very short only 5-10 min drive but will be making several trips as only a 33seater and have approx 80 guests. Have you tried this option or are you looking for a tradional olde skool style bus? I wish you luck but do try local companies they appreciate the business more than a national company etc.

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

We had the same issues with coachhire too - eventually we managed to get a local company to do a 49 seater for £180

I say shop around and try the smaller companies too

Good luck!!!

• froggy29400
    Beginner October 2010
    froggy29400 ·
    • Hide content

And I thought my quote was high! It's for a traditional double-decker for up to 62 I think, and it's £300 both ways (15 mins by car so I guess a good half an hour by bus). I haven't booked it yet though... waiting to see if my guests need it (bit of a nightmare at the moment)

• M
    Beginner August 2011
    madmo247 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your reply.

I live in Airdrie North Lanarkshire so Southhampton a little far away but thanks. They are not fancy coaches that i have been quoted for. The venue is about a 20 minute drive from my church so not too far. I am having such an issue with this i don't know what to do for the best.

when we told everyone we had booked the wedding their first response was How do we get there? are you putting on transport.

How do you make everyone happy without beaking the bank?

• froggy29400
    Beginner October 2010
    froggy29400 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

can't you tell people you'll be organising a coach for whoever wants it but they will have to pay their space (which should work out much cheaper than a taxi!)? I've seen this being done before!

• M
    Beginner August 2011
    madmo247 ·
    • Hide content

That sounds like a plan.

thanks for all replys.

will keep you posted

• E
    ExpensiveGoldCars58005 ·
    • Hide content

For my cousins wedding she hired a party bus, i first thought whats wrong with her?! why she hired a party bus for her wedding ? But after the party bus experience i had, i even had recommended the party bus services to my friends. Party bus experience is really awesome and charming. I really recommend you guys to consider hiring one for your wedding.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

If you want the coach at both ends of the day to transport people, you may fall across the legal issue of how many hours one driver is allowed to work(despite a big gap in the middle, he/she is still technically on duty) so you may actually be paying for two drivers......This might explain the cost...

Peter

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

I feel like it's a bit rude of your guests to be asking you about providing transport - they are adults! I would never expect a wedding to come with transport! You're already paying for entertainment and food for 8 hours!

That said, I did go to a wedding where transport was put on, and very much appreciated it - however they had a lot of people from out of the area coming to the wedding which was held out in the sticks, whilst most people had accommodation in the nearby city. Plus it was in their back garden so parking would have been a nightmare!

We considered putting on transport, but the costs put us off. I'd rather make sure the guests have an awesome time at the actual event. Most of our guests will be coming from similar areas, so people can club together for a minibus or taxi if they choose not to stay nearby, and are actually already organising this anyway.

We're also encouraging lift shares through our wedding website.

As Peter said - find out exactly what the costs are for. Depending on how far away you are, the driver could maybe take the coach back to the depot, and have a second driver do the evening drive, removing the 'on duty for 8 hours costs'?

Good luck! X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics