Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

mrsmould-to-be
Beginner March 2011

My wedding on a budget

mrsmould-to-be, 11 of November of 2009 at 09:55 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hiya ladies/gents

am new to the board will give you a small intro....im Katie, im 24 i live in Essex with my Fiance and we are looking to marry February/March 2011...as yet we are not booked up but we are in the process of doing this

ive got a fair bit of my wedding plans sorted/underway, but the main issue with my wedding is im on a very tight budget, im trying to cut as many corners as i can...i wondered if you ladies have any tips etc you can share with me?

Im looking for help and ideas with flowers and table decs particularly....my theme is yellow, men are in black tails with pale yellow/lemon and bridesmaids in yellow...i was thinking of having silk flower bouquets as they can be much cheaper and can be a nice thing for the BM's to keep and for myself but some opinions on this that ive heard from folk havnt been positive

My invites, placescards and cake boxes im making myself along with my favours; i wasnt going to have these but seeing as i can make and fill them for less than £30, i thought i would keep to tradition and serve these

Thanks in advance ladies and look forward to sharing ideas with you all ?

14 replies

Latest activity by mrsmould-to-be, 11 of November of 2009 at 13:47
  • Broody_wife
    Beginner
    Broody_wife ·
    • Hide content

Welcome to Hitched!! You'll need to flash some pics! lol so we can all have a nosey!! Have you thought about silk flowers? Those can work out cheaper than real ones. x

• Maxibon
    Beginner March 2009
    Maxibon ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome to Hitched!

There are lots of ladies - and men, on here that have small budgets and we'll all be happy to help out any way we can!

Have you decided on a church wedding or a civil ceremony? The best advice I have is to look at magazines and see a few things that tou like and search like crazy online to find cheaper alternatives, and dont be afraid to compromise (I'm not having disposable cameras on tables anymore as many people have digital cameras and are better at using those!)

Max xxx

• B
    Beginner April 2010
    Baz183 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Katie

I'm also from Essex (Basildon). Whereabouts are you? We're getting married next April. I've tried to cut a few corners too by getting bits and pieces second hand and from ebay. I saved loads (about £700) buying my dress second hand and it really does look like new. I've also borrowed a few bits from my friend (veil etc).

Cakes can be quite expensive too so you could always look at getting one from M&S (or similar) and then decorating yourself.

I think there's also a stationery place in Braintree freeport which is supposed to be good if you are making your own invites etc (not sure if this is close to you).

HTH. Look forward to hearing about your planning.

• mrsmould-to-be
    Beginner March 2011
    mrsmould-to-be ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies!

will upload some pics of what i have already....

im wanting a church wedding...we are set on the venues which actually arent costing as much as i expected, the reception venue is cheaper than expected due to us wanting to book in the cheaper months!

Got lots of magazines to browse which is handy - and yes i agree with you Max on the digital camera front, i wont be haveing table cameras....

i managed to pick up some blank CD's in Tesco the other night and some clear wallets, im going to hand those out to guests to put there pics of my big day on...think that cost me £10 in total so another bargain! xxx

• mrsmould-to-be
    Beginner March 2011
    mrsmould-to-be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hiya!...im originally from Stanford but im now over in Romford!

yes the cake i would probably get from M & S, although both my MIL and Aunt do fab cakes so i may get one of them to make and decorate for us...i have been told about Freeport and im looking to visit in th new year, dont think i can face it now with xmas round the corner!

Where abouts are you getting married?...im lloking to book The Old rectory, just waiting to hear back from them

I keep looking at second hand dresses, im very tempted!

• B
    Beginner April 2010
    Baz183 ·
    • Hide content

Would be nice if either your MIL or Aunt could make your cake. Would make it really personal.

The Old Rectory looks really lovely. Hope you get the date you want.

We're getting married in church and our reception is at De Rougemont Manor in Brentwood.

I don't regret getting my dress second hand at all. OH said to buy whatever I wanted but I just couldn't justify the money and now i'm really pleased I went down that route. I've had it professionally cleaned and altered and still saved. There's load of second hand sites and I can recommend someone for alterations in Elm Park if you ever need it.

• emmy1979
    Rockstar June 2023 West Yorkshire
    emmy1979 ·
    • Hide content

Have you thought about doing your flowers yourself? Sounds like you are a creative type if you are doing the other bits. I'm trying to do an eco wedding and this actually overlaps as a budget wedding too. I'm doing an evening wedding flowers course at the college where I work. It lasts 10 weeks and is £50 - it goes through bouquets, button holes, centrepieces and church flowers and works out that I'm going to save a small fortune. I'm getting the expertise of a professional florist lecturer and all my fellow students (in their enthusiasm) have offered to help me on the day.

For the invites, placecards etc I'm using recycled paper using free templates off the internet. I think my favours are going to be a stock pockets! The cake I am buying from Tesco's (3 fruit cakes in descending size adds up to £40) and my SIL will be decorating it with something winter themed. My best frriend and I actually do wedding photography on the side so she will do the photo's (under my direction!) hopefully (haven't asked her yet). You can always ask a photography student from your local college if they would do it - they will put loads of effort in and you won't have to pay them very much. They'll have a portfolio of work so you can check out their ability beforehand.

Hth.

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Hiya and welcome to hitched!!!!

A way of keeping costs down is to make things yourself like favours, invitations etc.

Also, remember the bay of e - you can get everything there!!!!

• mrsmould-to-be
    Beginner March 2011
    mrsmould-to-be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

De Rougemont is fab, ive been to a few wedding receptions there before!

oohh yes ill defo keep you in mind if i need alterations, im a dab hand with a needle but i dont want to risk it with my dress for the big day!! xx

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome to hitched!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Hi & Welcome to Hitched.

If you are looking for silk flowers we work to your budget.

• thefuturemrsclarke
    Beginner July 2010
    thefuturemrsclarke ·
    • Hide content

Hello, im from basildon now but work in romford. the old rectory is nice, i looked at that although it was wotrking out a bit expensive for me. im getting married at mount avenue in bretwood. and having a church wedding. if you need any tips or cheap suppliers let me know, iv done loads of research into this ato get the good cheaper 1s x

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

?

• mrsmould-to-be
    Beginner March 2011
    mrsmould-to-be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hiya..oohh not heard of Mount Avenue....i will keep you in mind, thanks! xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇