Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Purple Pixie
Beginner July 2012

Fingers crossed for F1

Purple Pixie, 19 of June of 2009 at 08:09 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 15

I really hoped that they'd have been able to come to some sort of agreement by now. The thought of a breakaway championship makes me really sad (and a tiny bit angry).

I love the racing but I also love the history and the unusual race tracks which would probably be lost (or just kept by Bernie). I can't imagine 'F1' without Monaco.

Is there still time for things to be saved or is it a done deal now?

And more importantly, why didn't they have a deadline for sorting things that wasn't the day before British practice starts!

15 replies

Latest activity by FigJam, 19 of June of 2009 at 10:54
  • clair_de_lune
    Beginner
    clair_de_lune ·
    • Hide content

I'm sad too, trying to bury my head and not think about it.

• S
    Beginner January 2006
    seraphina ·
    • Hide content

TBH I'd be quite happy to see a rival race series - Bernie and Max have run the sport into the ground.

• B
    bobbly1 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree - I think it is time for a change. The breakaway teams are, amongst other things, looking at lowering the ticket prices for the fans. The prices have leapt up over the past few years, and you also now cannot just buy a ticket for race day, you have to get a 3 day ticket.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Not so much a breakaway, although I do recall an alternative set up a few years ago. All cars were the same......It didn't last beyond its trial year due to lack of interest.

Anyone else remember this??

Peter

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I remember it Peter. It was dire.

In the long run a breakaway championship might have some good benefits but it would take a long time to get it properly established and I don't know whether it would survive that initial period, although with the amount of money some of the teams have got it possibly could.

But I like tradition. I like Monaco. I just don't want it to change.

• B
    bobbly1 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would think the same tracks would be used and they would set up agreements with the tracks involved (partly because of the income the tracks and surrounding businesses get from the racegoers) I suppose the main thing would be sorting out the broadcasting rights etc.

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Possibly for some tracks but I think they'd lose Monaco. Bernie's got a contract with them hasn't he and I can't see them being able to shut the whole place down twice each year.

• hay
    Beginner July 2007
    hay ·
    • Hide content

The TV issues are going to be a nightmare. Not sure the BBC will want to pay for showing Force India v Williams all season long. I think the new championship would be very middle east based with all the money that has recently gone into building tracks in that region.

• Hello Sunshine
    Beginner
    Hello Sunshine ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Umm, we've got race-day only tickets for this weekend. I'd agree about lowering prices though, it's crazy money for two of us to go.

• glider12000
    Beginner July 2014
    glider12000 ·
    • Hide content

Spanky and the Poison Dwarf have slowly eroded the credibility of the sport, and I hope that this move gives them a kick up the arse, that despite there being money involve, the most important factor is the fans, as without them, there is no sponsorship, no money and ultimately no racing.

• emma numbers
    Beginner June 2008
    emma numbers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally WSS. All the rule changes and format changes that keep happening each year have really put me off and made it all quite dull.

• FigJam
    Beginner
    FigJam ·
    • Hide content

I've no idea what I think woudl be for the "best", agree that it has been run under a monopoly for too long, but also agree that I would hate to lose the F1 "traditions" of Monaco etc.

Also agree that their deadline timing sucks and is detracting from the build up to the British GP where the attention should be on Button, not the threat of a breakaway series.

Speaking of losing F1 "traditions", Mark Webber has written a really interesting column on the BBC Sport website, speaking about how he's sad that F1 is losing Silverstone. Have to agree with him, it won't feel the same next year. ☹️

• S
    Beginner January 2006
    seraphina ·
    • Hide content

Would have thought if anything the new series would be more Europe based - I thought the only reason there were so many rubbish middle east circuits was that they would hand money hand over fist to Bernie and outspent Silverstone/the EU circuits.

Monaco is good but I can't stand the other city races, give me a proper, well designed circuit any day. IMO the TV rights will follow the good drivers - Massa, Hamilton,etc

• Chicken
    Beginner October 2003
    Chicken ·
    • Hide content

I just want Bernie and Flavio to be mates. My football club can face no more turmoil.

• Missus Jolly
    Beginner October 2004
    Missus Jolly ·
    • Hide content

I didn't think that this was a done deal. I think that it will just force Ecclestone and co into a corner from which they have to back down. Ultimately if this happens F1 will become a minor player because with the big players elsewhere F1 will simply not get the television deals. Surely that would see the collapse of Formula 1. Are Ecclestone and Moseley really so arrogant that they could envisage any other outcome?

• FigJam
    Beginner
    FigJam ·
    • Hide content

Just saw this on BBC website;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8108488.stm

Looks like it's happening. From the teams listed, I'll be watching the FOTA series! Wonder what the powers that be's response will be?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics