Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

What favours are you having?

12 of March of 2011 at 01:08 Posted on Planning 0 39

I was a bit clueless about weddings until I started planning one. I don't remember much about the ones I attended as a kid, and as an adult I've only been to two as a day guest and two as an evening guest. I'd never heard of favours until I started reading wedding websites and magazines, sometimes people had them e.g. sweets but I didn't know they were a particular 'thing' or that they're called favours until a few weeks ago.

I don't really know how much to spend or what to get. I was thinking personalised chocs would be nice, e.g. something like https://www.notonthehighstreet.com/thechocolatelibrary/product/thank-so-much-chocolate-bar, otherwise I'm a bit stumped, and not sure what the norm is at all! I would definitely like to have them, I think it's a lovely idea and will make the tables look nice, I just don't know what to get.

39 replies

Latest activity by Naboo, 13 of March of 2011 at 19:36
  • Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

I'm giving flower seeds as my favours. I'm quite green fingered so its quite personal and plus I think better than giving something that will be eaten in two minutes! But I guess if you give chocolates at least you know they will be gone and not left behind!

xxx

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

We haven't decided on favours yet but while I was googling, I found this website and they seem pretty reasonable compared to a lot of others I've seen

http://www.chocolatebuttons.co.uk/weddings-events/wedding-novelties.html?limit=30&p=1

• C
    chuckward101 ·
    • Hide content

Also, you might ask your wedding planner about these favours. It is really a good idea that you included this especially presenting it to your guests.

Why you don't try to ask others' opinion. I agree that personalised chocs will work.

• agentblackcat
    Beginner July 2011
    agentblackcat ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I am having tablet - love the stuff, think we will just wrap it in cellophane and tie a ribbon round x

• K
    Beginner October 2011
    karen945 ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting 35g toblerone bars with personalised labels, and maybe some love hearts. I'm paying 60p for the toblerones. It's a local company that are doing them for me.

Visit your local wedding fairs to see local companies for inspiration

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

We're having something similar to these

We have purchased the small jam jars from Ikea- £1.99 for 4 and the personalised stickers from Vistaprint. We will then buy the sweets or something to go inside nearer the time. Finishing them off with ribbon around the top and a Thank you tag.

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

In my opinion this is the best way of doing favours by far

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are doing something similar. We are making a donation to Cancer Research. All the guests will get a Cancer research pin and card explaining a donation has been made. Then if they leave them on the table it wont really bother us as the money will have gone to a good cause

• S
    Beginner August 2011
    syppox2000 ·
    • Hide content

My H2B is Australian so we are having our table names as Aussie beers and then these will be the favours for the men. Women are having an Australian favourite - Caramel Koalas! (these are like Freddo frogs ). This is all working out cheap but helps with a bit of aussie flavour. We weren't going to do favours otherwise as they seem such a waste of money to be left on the tables!

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content

We're having Cancer Research stuff - Pins/bookmarks/pens etc and some sweets Smiley smile

• N
    Beginner April 2011
    nat2683 ·
    • Hide content

I bought some favour boxes and personalised ribbon from ebay.

Was going to fill them with sugared almonds, but then we ordered some personalised M&Ms for our sweetie buffet and they look so good we are going to order more to fill all the favour boxes.

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

I have just seen the personalised rock that you can have in your colours ! I quite fancy that so will show OH.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

We're making a bag of homemade favours for everyone, including a pot of raspberry jam, some tablet, and some shortbread - with all the packaging and ingredients we are estimating costs at between £1.50 - £2 per bag.

• S
    Beginner December 2012
    Sarah-Jayne x ·
    • Hide content

I have made these favours before, they come with a personalised thank you poem in a scroll inside and the tag can include guests names to double up as a place card.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

We are having these:

(sorry if it turns out huge!)

with Vistaprint labels saying thank you for sharing our special day.

They cost us just over £1 each in total, maybe about £1.15 each I think? Jam jars were 50p each, sweets to fill them were about 50p per jar and then I bought the labels 'free' from Vistaprint and the ribbon from eBay.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

We went to a few wedding fayres and we liked the tablet and shortbread because alot of family are coming to Scotland from England for the wedding and we thought they would like the 'Scottishness' of it. Tablet is really easy to make, and cheap - sugar, butter, and condensed milk...we are just going to put cubes of this into little white organza bags (about £2 for 50 off eBay). Shortbread will need to be made a day or two before so it doesn't go soggy, if all goes well we're going to use heart shaped biscuit cutters to make little shortbread hearts, and put them in little foil bags (about £5 for 50 off eBay). Jam jars are the most expensive (about £20 for 50 glass jars with lids off eBay) I'm hoping that we'll be able to go to a 'pick your own' to get them as it would add to the personal element of it all, and silver spoon make jam sugar available in Tesco, Asda, etc with added pectin so no need for fiddling - equal amounts of jam sugar and raspberries - voila! The best part is that the jam can easily be made a month before hand, and the tablet easily a few weeks, the shortbread will be the only last minute baking. We're going to put them in little white gift bags (off eBay, of course) and make labels for them saying something like 'wedding treats, handmade by X and X, as a thank you for sharing our day'

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content

A friend of mine is an expert tablet maker and she's offered to make us some for our favours. Before she did I was toying with the idea of various homemade truffles and chocolates and now it's getting closer to the wedding - 5 weeks today eeeek!! - I'm almost disappointed not to be doing them myself.

I'd say play to your strengths, make something cute that's not too difficult but means something too - I'm currently trying to find the right message to put on my favours to personalise them - debating whether to try a personal message for each guest - there's only going to be 25 adult guests at my wedding breakfast so it probably wouldn't be too hard... if I was good with words lol

• *willow*
    Beginner
    *willow* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

we are doing the same but for our local cancer centre. my thoughts exactly - if people forget them i wont care! as i havent gone to the effort of making anything and the money has been spent on something that means alot to us

• J
    Beginner June 2011
    jen_hhl ·
    • Hide content

We have made a donation to 2 charities, have pins for alzheimer scotland and children's first. We are gonna put them on personalised bookmarks. Also having tablet and coconut ice for evening guests.

Jx

• L
    Beginner April 2011
    loopyjennie ·
    • Hide content

We are having favour bags with red chocolate hearts, mints and strawberry sherberts.. we are making them ourselves and ordered the bags off of ebay..

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

We are having similar ones to these, although I jazzed them up with little diamontes. I got 10 for £1 at poundland, yep, 10p each! Not the fanciest favour, but most people leave them on the table anyway. The wedding is in Sydney anyway, so no one will know they were 10p each. From vistaprint I ordered sticky labels in our colours to put on the back, with our names, date of wedding & thanks for sharing our special day.

Inside I will either put foiled cadbury chocolate hearts (I love cadburys) & can buy them in bulk from ebay, fudge or home-made chocolates made by me!

• T
    Beginner
    Taz the Penguin ·
    • Hide content

I have been inspired to consider biscuits now as I do love baking and our friends know we both love to cook. Before that I was thinking of making some paper cones out of sheet music of songs we like, filled with sweets and tied with coloured ribbon.

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

am I being really stupid - but what's a tablet? x

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Scottish fudge type stuff ?

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content

AHHHH!! I kept reading about tablets and I was thinking...why would you give someone tablets as a favour?! lol x

• sarahjolley
    Beginner September 2012
    sarahjolley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wondered to ?

• P
    Beginner June 2012
    pink_tink ·
    • Hide content

I didn`t know what tablets were either!

How do you guys get Free stickers off vista print? I can only get free business cards.

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I get emails for lots of things. Have recently got stickers, tshirts mugs etc. I ordered something once and now I get emails nearly every week and only pay for P&P. I have 2 accounts and on the other one don't get much. Maybe buy something small then you will be inundated with emails

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've got my children's table decs from here! Filling vases with pink and silver chocolate eggs that they can help themselves to (hopefully after the wb). I got 2kg of them for £30 inc delivery.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was about to ask the same thing but didnt know if I was being a bit dense lol!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics