Make sure you have everything you need for your honeymoon by checking our extensive honeymoon checklist
Your honeymoon is one of the most exciting holidays of your life! Once you’ve decided where you’re going (and we have a selection of the best honeymoon destinations to help you choose!) you need to make sure you’ve packed accordingly. We’ve got a honeymoon checklist to help you on your way.
Download the checklist
Reminder: Don’t forget, when booking your honeymoon make sure the name you book your travel in matches the name on your passport – it’s easy to get excited and book it in your married name, but if that’s not on your passport it can cause problems!
No matter where you’re going on honeymoon, it’s likely you’ll need most if not all of these items, so pay attention and make room in your luggage:
- Passport/relevant ID
- Tickets and ticket confirmations (not just for your flight, but your accommodation and any attractions or trips you’ve booked too)
- Visa (even if you got yours electronically, it’s always worth carrying a print out just in case!)
- Cash (in the currency of the country you’re visiting)
- Essential bank cards (don’t take them all – just the ones you plan on using. Make sure you let your bank know your card will be used abroad too!)
- Travel insurance details (print out at least two copies of this)
- Emergency contacts (numbers you may need for your bank/credit card company, your doctor etc.)
- Adapter plugs
- Phone chargers
- Small first aid kit (plasters, painkillers etc.)
- Any prescription medicine you take (with the original packaging/a copy of your prescription)
- Luggage locks and tags with your contact details on
As long as you have all those things, everything else can be bought!
It's best not to buy your toiletries at the airport or gamble and see if they’re available abroad. Save yourself time and money and take these essentials with you:
- Face wash
- Shampoo and conditioner – your hotel may provide it but if you’re partial to a particular brand pack your own.
- Shower gel (as above!)
- Hair product – if you’re honeymooning in a hot country and your hair is prone to frizz, take something to keep it under control!
- Make up
- Make up remover
- Manicure set (nail file, clippers, nail polish – no doubt you’ll have some amazing wedding nail art on your fingertips, but carry nail polish in case you need to do a touch up!)
- Razors (don’t have these in your hand luggage!) and shaving gel
- Hair grips, hair ties, etc.
- After sun lotion in case of sun burn
- Moisturiser (if you’re going somewhere very hot or very cold your skin could dry out!)
Check with your hotel to see what is included with your room – a luxury hotel will usually provide shampoo, conditioner, moisturiser, hairdryers and more. If you don’t need to bring some of the things listed above it means more room for clothes!
This list contains things which you can buy at the airport or on holiday, but it’s better to have it with you as you’ll probably get a better deal buying it at home!
- Sun cream (this is non-negotiable, whether you’re going somewhere snowy or sunny!)
- Lip salve
- Travel sickness medicine
- Insect repellent and bite relief
- Indigestion tablets
- Diarrhoea medicine (especially if you’re heading somewhere a little more exotic)
- Sanitary products
Women’s Packing List
Of course, what you need to pack for yourself depends on where you’re going and what you’re doing. This basic list should give you an idea of what you need though.
- Comfy clothes to travel in – especially if you’re flying long haul (consider packing a change of clothes too for the journey)
- A coat – unless you’re heading somewhere you know to be super-hot
- A cardigan or cover up – this is useful in case the nights get chilly, the air con is too much in some places or if you visit somewhere religious and need to cover your shoulders
- Day to day clothes – dresses, shorts, t-shirts (adjust to suit the weather of your destination)
- Underwear (include a variety of items including strapless bras and thongs to work with lots of outfits)
- Lingerie (check out of list of stunning honeymoon lingerie to inspire you!)
- Sensible shoes (essential for sight-seeing and walking around)
- Not so sensible shoes for nights out!
- Flip flops for days by the pool or at the beach
- A clutch bag for evening
- A secure, practical bag for the day
- A canvas/fabric beach bag
- A kaftan or sarong
- A scarf
- Accessories – jewellery, sunglasses, hats etc.
Men’s Packing List
Again – alter this list to suit your location and plans! Make sure you pack a variety of options to suit all events - even if you're off for a relaxing beach break if you plan on going for fancy dinners you'll need more formal clothes.
- Comfy clothes to travel in
- A coat – unless you’re sure it won’t be needed!
- A light jacket/jumper/cardigan
- Casual day clothes
- Smart clothes for the evening (shirts, smart trousers)
- Lace up shoes (for formal use)
- Trainers or other comfy shoes for walking
- Flip flops or sandals
- Accessories – tie, sunglasses, hats etc.
Handy Things to Have
These are items that you don’t necessarily need to take if you’re trying to save room but are useful to have if you can fit them in!
- Beach towels (just check where you’re staying provides them before you go)
- Books to read – essential if you don’t have a Kindle or similar
- Games – essential if you have some long journeys ahead!
- Guide book (or alternatively do lots of internet research beforehand and screen grab must-visit places on your phone)
Finally, once you’ve packed everything you need, don’t forget there are some things you need to leave at home. Leave a close friend or family member copies of your passports, travel documents (including insurance), and credit cards in case you lose anything. Also make sure they have the contact details for your hotel and know your itinerary (even roughly).
Download the checklist
It’s important to make sure you have copies of your wills, life insurance policies and relevant financial information to hand at home too – let someone you trust know where it can be found just in case.
If you want a honeymoon that’s truly unforgettable, make sure you check out our selection of unmissable honeymoon experiences.