There’s something about an outdoor wedding that makes a big day extra special — and British weddings in beautiful gardens and stunning marquees are among the best in the world. If you’re considering saying your vows, or celebrating your wedding outdoors here are 10 of the most inspiring garden venues and marquee hire companies.
- Yaxley HallRomantic and traditional, this is a private home in its own woodland setting dating back to the 16th century. Most couples marrying at Yaxley have a traditional ceremony, held inside the Hall, followed by a full wedding breakfast and evening celebration in the silk-lined, banqueting house marquee — complete with chandeliers. If you want an outdoor or garden wedding, the ‘Gothick Temple’ provides the perfect alternative.
Based on 40 guests, hire of Yaxley Hall including a drinks and canapé reception and three course wedding meal (including wine, champagne for toasts and coffee) costs from £6,650 including VAT.
- Woodhall ManorNestling in nine-acres of landscaped grounds and walled gardens, Woodhall Manor in Suffolk offers traditional ‘wedding tea parties’ in summer; couples can marry in the Dovecote, within the Tudor walled garden, followed by afternoon tea in the Manor’s country garden. Guests sip tea out of vintage china cups, or indulge in a glass of champagne accompanied by freshly baked scones, Suffolk jam and clotted cream, whilst enjoying the sounds of a string quartet and croquet on the lawn.
Based on 60 guests, prices for Woodhall Manor’s Traditional High Tea weddings start from £1,995 +VAT.
- MoodiesMoodies provide white wedding marquees with a choice of lining colours and themes, and an array of sizes and shapes. As the marquees are free-standing they can be constructed on virtually any surface and you have various options for lighting, dance floors and furniture. As well as marquees, Moodies also offer a catering service with a wide selection of menus using locally-sourced produce and organic food.
For prices and further information contact Moodies.
- Highland TipisIf you’re marrying in Scotland, Highland Tipis certainly have the ‘wow’ factor. The funky-looking tents provide a spectacular setting whatever the Scottish weather has in store for your big day. Raw wood and diffused light make an outdoor wedding feel intimate, and the tipis can be adapted to have their sides raised in summer, revealing the view of your chosen venue, or you can have an open log fire as a dynamic centrepiece in winter. Price for one tipi for 40 guests with a small dance floor, including construction and essentials (main lighting, floor matting, log fire, timber tables and benches), starts at £2,520. Price excludes delivery.
Contact Highland Tipis for more details.
- Poundon HouseA classic country house venue, Poundon is located on the Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire border. It has a south-facing terrace with exceptional views, and a front lawn ideal for a drinks reception — or a game of croquet! The venue also offers an elegant marquee for up to 200 guests, with hand-printed Indian lining, a dance floor and staging for a band. As the sun goes down, the surrounding trees light-up, creating a magical outdoor setting for the evening.
Contact Poundon House for prices and further information.
- Shenley Cricket CentreIs there anything more English than cricket? Shenley Cricket Club, located in the idyllic Hertfordshire countryside within easy reach of London, is a brilliant backdrop for a traditional wedding. On the outskirts of the picturesque village of Shenley, the 10-acre setting offers superb views and one of the finest cricket grounds in England. The venue can host anything from an intimate wedding to a reception with up to 250 guests.
Hire prices at Shenley Cricket Centre start at £1,250 +VAT (Fridays) and £2,000 +VAT (Saturdays) from May to September; £850 +VAT (Fridays) and £1,250 +VAT (Saturdays) from October to April.
- JF MarqueesFounded in 2007, JF Marquees is an independent, family-run marquee hire business offering tailored, bespoke wedding services. JF has a wide range of marquees, furniture, heating, lighting, dance floors and accessories, catering for outside functions in style, whatever happens with the unpredictable British weather. Based in Surrey, the company provides marquees for weddings in Surrey, Sussex, London, Hampshire, Berkshire and Kent. A wedding for 120 starts at £2,500 to £3,000 +VAT.
Contact JF Marquees for more information.
- FennesFennes, a dedicated wedding venue in Essex, is set in 100-acres of tranquil countryside and offers exclusive use for weddings. Parts of the house date back to the 15th century and the drawing room, overlooking the landscaped gardens, has large sash windows that allow sunlight to flood the room. Outside ceremonies can also be arranged and the extensive grounds offer endless opportunities for photographs. Last minute wedding packages start at £2,800.
Contact Fennes for more details.
- Heaton House FarmSet in 165-acres of scenic countryside, Heaton House Farm has breathtaking views across three shires. It has three interlinked sandstone barns (with under-floor heating, computer controlled lighting and concealed sound systems) licensed for civil ceremonies and civil partnerships. The gorgeous grounds and water gardens are perfect for outdoor photography — and if your guests can’t get enough of the outdoors atmosphere there are camping and caravanning facilities on site.
Contact Heaton House Farm for an e-brochure and prices.
- Grimscote ManorCouples who marry at Grimscote Manor receive exclusive use of the hotel’s four-acre grounds and woodland throughout their special day. The venue has an outdoor swimming pool and the picturesque Stenhouse Bridge, waterfall, Victorian bandstand and ornate steps are perfect for romantic photographs. Grimscote also has a 60ft x 40ft marquee which accommodates up to 160 guests and can be decorated to suit your taste, style and colour scheme.
Contact Grimscote Manor for an e-brochure and prices.