How To Store The Wedding Cake
Published: 01 Aug 2007 - in cakes
According to wedding traditions, the top tier of the wedding cake is stored and used at the christening of the couple's first child. But since starting a family immediately is not in the plans of most newly weds, they now choose to use the top tier of their wedding cake on their first anniversary.
Such a sweet tradition can however remain sweet, only if you store the wedding cake properly. If not preserved in the right manner, your wedding cake will turn sour and will not keep for an entire year, thus making you miss out on enjoying this wonderful tradition.
But, worry not. We're not going to let that happen to you, and have thus put together the following tips, which will ensure that your wedding cake is stored properly, so you can enjoy it on your first anniversary.
Storing the wedding cake:
- Remove the cake topper and any other big decorations from the top tier of the wedding cake. Smaller decorations, especially if made from icing, can be left on.
- If the cake is placed on a cardboard bottom, which is not wrapped in foil, you need to transfer the cake onto a foil covered cardboard or onto a plastic plate. This will prevent your cake from getting any kind of cardboard smell or taste in it.
- Freeze the cake in the freezer for an hour. This will make the icing hard so that it will not stick to the paper when wrapped.
- Remove the cake from the freezer after an hour and start wrapping it. Use cling wrap (plastic wrap) and ensure that the cake is thoroughly covered from top to bottom and all the sides. The wrapping should be absolutely airtight.
- Once you have wrapped the wedding cake with cling wrap, you now need to double wrap it with aluminium foil paper. Adequate wrapping will ensure that there is no taste of freezer burn in the cake.
- Place the entire wrapped cake into a container that can be placed in the freezer.
- Leave the container and the cake to freeze for the next one year.
The above steps for storing your wedding cake will keep it as fresh as the day it was baked!