Beautiful, vintage-style dresses are becoming more and more popular with modern brides. We’ve picked ten exquisite wedding gowns inspired by the most elegant bridal designs and sartorial trends of the past.
- Johanna HehirFor an elegant, sophisticated and timeless look, a 1930s-inspired evening dress is ideal. This graceful, v-neck dress has a silk crepe drape bodice with a French couture beaded lace waist. The bias-panelled, fishtail puddle-hem skirt sweeps the floor and finishes the gown beautifully. Stella by Johanna Hehir.
Price starts at £2,700
- Halfpenny LondonDesigned by the talented Kate Halfpenny, celebrity fashion stylist and bridal wear designer, this incredible Grecian-style dress (modelled by actress Emilia Fox) is one of a stunning range in Kate’s bridal collection. This soft and flowing silk tulle dress has porcelain antique rose detailing and is worn with a long antique veil to perfect the vintage look.
Erin by Halfpenny London. Vintage dresses start at £1,400, Halfpenny London Collection starts at £2,500 and couture starts at £3,500
- Charlotte BalbierThis graceful, girly dress is from Charlotte Balbier’s English Tea Party collection. Quintessentially ‘cool Britannia’, the collection is Charlotte’s interpretation of fantasy and romance; Alice in Wonderland meets a modern day fairytale. This beautiful dress features Charlotte’s signature vintage lace and feminine styling and is available in Ivory/Mocha (as pictured) or Ivory/Ivory.
Flo by Charlotte Balbier. Price starts at £1,278
- Vintage Wedding Dress CompanyThe 1920s’ was an era of elegance and passion – and this 20s-style lace wedding dress is absolutely stunning. With a plunging neckline and low-slung waist it combines effortless chic with fashion drama. VWDC restores original vintage dresses, but this gown is from a collection of six new dresses inspired by each era from the 20s to the 70s. Decades Lace Collection:
1920s by the Vintage Wedding Dress Company.
Original vintage dresses from £950, Decades Collection from £1,350
- Benjamin RobertsExtremely feminine, this dress has a gorgeous Audrey Hepburn feel and demands to be worn with dramatic eyes, pale pink lips and hair piled high with a sparkling tiara. The soft, A-line tulle gown has an appliqué underskirt that falls down from a sweetheart empire. It also has an oversized (and detachable) bow at the back.
Style 2101 by Benjamin Roberts. Price starts at £1,035
- Ronald JoyceThis simple and elegant A-line dress has a ‘vintage princess’ feel – and it is incredibly similar to the dress Kate Middleton wore for her evening wedding reception. With a waist-cinching, embellished band it is flattering to any figure, and taking the vintage look a step further, with a statement bolero or shrug (just like Kate did), makes it stand out from the crowd.
Style 64016 by Ronald Joyce. Price starts at £860
- Luella’s Boudoir:Luella’s Boudoir is a boutique in South London filled with vintage treasures. The majority of Luella’s vintage-inspired wedding dresses are produced in London and as well as a unique ready-to-wear selection, you can also take advantage of a bespoke design service. This heavenly empire line full-length gown has a diamante detail under the bust and delicate tulle straps.
Foxglove from the Wildflower Collection by Luella’s Boudoir. Sale price £995 (was £1,850)
- Matthew WilliamsonLeading British designer Matthew Williamson is well-known as ‘the king of bo-ho chic’ – and this vintage-inspired wedding dress proves the point. The utterly fabulous, strapless devoré gown has a crossover bodice and crystal and pearl artisanal trim. You can imagine the likes of Kate Moss and Sienna Miller in this bohemian 1970s-esque dress if they ever get married.
Devoré long gown by Matthew Williamson. Price starts at £3,250
- Candy AnthonyCandy Anthony is a British company producing vintage-inspired dresses. Each gown is individually cut and handmade using a selection of satin, vintage-inspired lace, tulles or polka-dot overlays. This pretty 1950s style has a graceful bodice contrasting with a billowing skirt. It’s nipped-in at the waist with a strawberry silk sash that could be changed to suit your colour scheme. Zsa-Zsa by Candy Anthony. Price starts at £995
- Ily Bridal CoutureThe 80s has been a huge fashion inspiration for much of the 21st century and this daring dress by Ily has its roots in 80s trends. The short, eye-catching length is enhanced by a puffball-style, ruched hem and the asymmetric shoulder detail is pure 80s chic. Add a wild, 80s-inspired hair accessory and sky high heels and the hip, retro look is complete.
Elloise by Ily Bridal Couture. Price starts at £650