Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Red Baroness
Beginner July 2012

Registrar's Fees!

Red Baroness, 4 of June of 2010 at 09:39 Posted on Planning 0 32

I have just looked on my local council's website and nearly had a heart attack!

For 2011 the fees are £524, with an additional booking fee of £50! That's not including notices! It will have gone up again by the time we get married. ☹️

What are you all being charged?????

32 replies

Latest activity by SClarke2019, 15 of July of 2019 at 22:27
  • tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

We are paying £350 then notices and i thought that was expensive!!

• flutterbye
    Beginner
    flutterbye ·
    • Hide content

Ouch, that is expensive! Ours charge £33.50 for each notice and then £385 for a Mon-Sat or £470 for a Sunday.

• M
    Beginner July 2010
    meggles24 ·
    • Hide content

Oh my god thats silly!

I know it all depends on the council- but ours is 95 quid including the certificate and everything!

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

Meggles i want to live where you live!! we have to pay £3.50 for our certificate ontop. Granted not the largest amount of money but would have thought it was included after forking out a couple of hundred and it kind of is the whole point of the whole day.

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

I think its a rip off.

as they are coming to venue £420 + £70 notices.

if it was in office.. £100 + £70 notices

• MrsRegantobe
    Beginner November 2010
    MrsRegantobe ·
    • Hide content

Our's is £165 + £30 each for notice. I think ours is £3.50 for the cert as well.

I have no idea why or how they can charge so much - I hope it's all needed for something and not an inflated price.

• atlonglast
    Beginner November 2010
    atlonglast ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £125 and an extra £50 to have him wed us at the hotel instead of the registry office. So £175 all together.

• mrsjbw2b
    Beginner August 2010
    mrsjbw2b ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £263.50 , plus £60 for the bands , then £3.50 for the certificate, they r comming to our venue

• grace85
    Beginner February 2011
    grace85 ·
    • Hide content

We've paid £60 notice fees and as we're getting married in a licensed premises we've got to pay £310.

If we were to do it at the registry office it would be about £90 that's all.

• M
    Beginner July 2010
    meggles24 ·
    • Hide content

We're in ealing- so its not like its a dump- and the building is groegous with huge marble staircases!

We ended up quite lucky!- especially as this was just the formality bit and our real wedding is the day after!

We actually shopped around looking for councils with cheapest fees and luckily our own was the cheapest!

• smyvicki
    Beginner September 2010
    smyvicki ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £450 plus £33 each to give notice, it really is a bloody rip off, havnt looked how much the certificate is yet!

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

£454.50 for the registrar to come to our venue, £30 each to give notice.

• M
    Beginner October 2010
    mrsmiller2b ·
    • Hide content

We've paid £60 notice fees (£30 each) then it's £302 (I think) for the registrar, I'm not sure how much the marriage certificate will be. ililacit that is extortionate x

• H
    Beginner
    hshc86 ·
    • Hide content

Oh my god, I can't beleive how much of a rip off registrars are!!

We haven't decided on our venue yet so I haven't looked up registrars fees in that area but I'm just going to assume they're going to be stupid prices like my current council's ones are.

This is ridiculous, it's not as if the registrar actually does much for goodness sakes!

• R
    Beginner August 2011
    robertson2b ·
    • Hide content

I have just seen this thread so thought I would give the local registrar a quick call to check fees (apparently I can't book until a year till the date) and they just told me it would be £423!!!!!!!!! I budgeted £200 and that I thought was being generous.

I'm quite shocked by that - especially as I have just been told that someone who got married in the registry office paid approx £100. How can they justify all that money?!

• S
    Beginner July 2011
    starla ·
    • Hide content

Wow guess i owe my dads friend a huge thankyou!! as he's going to be our registrar at my local church for free!! i knew it was a bit pricey but not that much!!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Can no one beat mine then??!! lol.

Just spoke to my friend who is getting married this year, and she confirmed that is the correct amount as she is paying about £570 in total for this year ☹️

• Shnarfy1
    Beginner November 2010
    Shnarfy1 ·
    • Hide content

We need to pay £33.50 each for notice and marriage license and then £170 to pay for the actual room (which I actually think is an awful lot for quite a small room but it is very nice.)

• Beckyv83
    Beginner September 2010
    Beckyv83 ·
    • Hide content

We paid £25 then £60 for notices and now have to £413.50. I would love to know what this is for!

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

I think the response to the extra expense is that they are blocking out lots of time to attend and could be doing others in that time..? not sure its much of a justification .. an extra £300+ in a lot of cases

I was reconsidering changing to the registry office instead, but then you have to worry and work out and cost for transport then!! etc for everyone its just not going to save anything.

but i think its alot of money, and can't see the justification. I was horrified at our £400+ price plus the bans etc.

• A
    Beginner December 2010
    anglefish ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £760 but were getting married on new years eve lol xx

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same here: £354 plus notices and we thought it was huge!

• Nolan2B
    Beginner April 2011
    Nolan2B ·
    • Hide content

Our registrar fees are £540 plus £67 for the bands & £3.50 for each certificate!! Nice to know I'm one of the dearest then lol! That's the fees for all Kent registrars.

• G
    Beginner July 2010
    Gwyn4940 ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married in Medway rather than in Kent (previously I thought Medway was in Kent but apparently not for weddings!!). We are getting married on a Sunday and we are paying £500 for the registrar plus about £70 for the notices and £3.50 for the marriage certificate.

I am shocked that the variation is so vast.

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

Mines extortionate! 525 for registrar in hotel, 60 notices and 7 certificates..

• Blackkat
    Beginner July 2008
    Blackkat ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married in Norfolk & we paid £60 for giving notice & £353.50 for a saturday for the registar to come to our venue. I can't understand why its so expensive

• froggy29400
    Beginner October 2010
    froggy29400 ·
    • Hide content

For the notice of marriage it was £75 or £76 (it went up a few days before we did it!), and for the hall, registrars, certificates and everything else it's £300. The cheapest we could have had -for a small office, 15 persons - was £42. We went for the big hall (capacity 100).

• J
    Beginner October 2010
    JBlackburn ·
    • Hide content

Ours doesn't seem to be that expensive now I have read the other posts. We are paying £270.00 for the registrar plus £7.00 for certificate (Lancashire County Council). We had to pay £30 each to register our intent to marriage at our local registry office on top of the above expenses.

• julia (modernphotographic)
    Beginner July 2010
    julia (modernphotographic) ·
    • Hide content

Think ours was about 400 plus about 35 each for notices so nearly 500... i was shocked it was so much!

• froggy29400
    Beginner October 2010
    froggy29400 ·
    • Hide content

I'll add to my previous reply that had I chosen to get married in France it would have been completely free... [:'(]

But I thought 1) it was too complicated planning a wedding in France and 2) we both met in the UK, have always lived in the UK together so France doesn't mean anything to us as a couple!

• Ellie_S
    Beginner March 2012
    Ellie_S ·
    • Hide content

Ours just says its £33.50 each n doesnt say anything else ?

• S
    Beginner March 2021
    SClarke2019 ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £527 but £30 each and then another £120 NON REFUNDABLE deposit on that! what the actual hell!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics