Getting married in the UK VS Married Abroad??

Join the conversation!

Chat and get advice from other brides-to-be.

Register for free Sign in to reply
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 12Next >
Sort Posts:
  • Posted: 24 Feb 2014 13:39

Getting married in the UK VS Married Abroad??

This is me and my fiance's dilemma right now! He's keen to get married abroad, but I think it would be more realistic to get married in the UK?

Sway us?? 

• Posted: 24 Feb 2014 13:47

Re: Getting married in the UK VS Married Abroad??

We're getting married abroad and it's been the easiest thing to plan for the most part. BUT it's just OH and I that are going.

We're having a reception back in England 6 weeks after we get back.

We've got a wedding co-ordinator who's organised everything for us, and all we have to do now is get married!

• Posted: 24 Feb 2014 13:51

How exciting!

Who did you organise it through?

• Posted: 24 Feb 2014 14:01

I am getting married in the UK my best friend is getting married abroad. There's pros and cons to both really.

Firstly if you choose to get married in a hot country then you are almost guaranteed amazing weather but in the UK it's really luck of the dice with regards to the weather! 
    A lot of people think it is cheaper to get married abroad but that depends what you want! I suppose you do get your honeymoon sort of included but there are some great packages available in the UK. 

The biggest issue my friend had was so many people straight away said they couldn't come and she was quite upset. I struggled to get the money and time off work to attend but I've managed it. it's not been easy and it's put a bit of a strain on our friendship but it's all ok now! 

Personally I would always pick a UK wedding but just make sure you do some serious research before you make any decisions :) xx

• Posted: 24 Feb 2014 14:07

We've booked our through Thomson, we've got a 7 night all inclusive holiday and our wedding is 2 days after we arrive so we have a sort of mini-moon afterwards. We paid our deposit and they sent us all the paperwork that needed to be completed and they're making sure the legal side of things are sorted, we now just have to turn up at the resort!  

It's worked for us, because we're essentially eloping, so we've not had to worry about people attending, infact we didn't invite anyone. If you want people to share the day with you, I think a UK wedding would realistically be easier to organise.

• Posted: 24 Feb 2014 14:13

We are getting married in SW France, cannot wait!

We have invited all of our closest friends / family and expect to have about 60+guests. It is stressful in that we are booking a holiday for 60 people with a wedding in the middle! Finding the right venue was by far the toughest bit. After that everything else has been a joy to plan.

I am really looking forward to spending some proper time with our guests, most will be staying for 5 nights and some for 3 nights. We don't get to see our family very often as we live in Manc and our families are dotted around the county in Kent, Yorkshire, South Wales and the New Forest, as well as OH parents and sister now living in SW France!!

It certainly hasn't been anymore expensive booking abroad. They don't seem to have cottoned on to charging for absolutely everything yet!! The exclusivity fee for the venue includes hire of the barn, bar, courtyard and tables, chairs, table linen, candles, lanterns, setting up / decorating the tables and the bar staying open until everyone goes to bed! This obviously isn't the case for all venues abroad, but from what I discovered they appear to be a lot more relaxed!

The only downside (as I see it) is you have to be prepared for guests to be unable to make it. But I guess that would still be the case for some in the UK. Logistically it can be tricky too, if you have certain venue decorations in mind for example, they can be tricky to source in other countries.

Posted: 24 Feb 2014 14:20

Were getting married in an ice chapel in lapland and its been so easy to organise as we have a fantastic wedding planner. The most expensive bit is the actual holiday which could be counted as the honeymoon. Were having a reindeer sleigh to the chapel for me and most likely a snowmobile for the groom. Were having a party for those who cant come but it has saved a lot of family politics going abroad! There have been a few dramas but nothing too bad! Its not cheap marrying abroad as you do have to pay for a holiday but the actual wedsing costs can be very cheap and you can get so much! It really depends on what you want from your day. We wanted it to be about us, very small and intimate and somewhere spectacular with a casual party after where i get to wear my dresd twice ao i am biased and say abroad!!!!

• Posted: 24 Feb 2014 14:45

Those marrying abroad - who have you booked through? I've googled for days and I am not seeing a stand out wedding planning team?

• Posted: 24 Feb 2014 14:49

Muppet:

We're getting married abroad and it's been the easiest thing to plan for the most part. BUT it's just OH and I that are going.

We're having a reception back in England 6 weeks after we get back.

We've got a wedding co-ordinator who's organised everything for us, and all we have to do now is get married!

We are doing the same as you Muppet. Except we are not having reception at home. Wedding planner sorts it all out and all we do is rock up;) xxx

• Posted: 24 Feb 2014 14:54

girlaboutbarbs:

Those marrying abroad - who have you booked through? I've googled for days and I am not seeing a stand out wedding planning team?

We have booked directly with the venue, and they gave us a list of recommended suppliers for things they cannot provide (florist, DJ/band, photographer, celebrant etc). There is a wedding planner they can also recommend but we haven't needed to use one as it has been pretty straightforward booking it all ourselves so pointless paying someone else to do it. We also have a co-ordinator at the venue who will help make sure everything runs to plan

• Posted: 24 Feb 2014 14:56

girlaboutbarbs:

We booked through Sandals at their Barbados resort. They have been amazing. The wedding is all legal out there so they have sent us all paperwork and docs we need to submit before and during. They arrange for us to go get the wedding license when we are out there. They give you a thousand dollars towards your weddingmoom and you have a pre travel and on site wedding team. Its been so stress free. We get married on 6th day and its a 10 night all inclusive package. I did a lot of research and checked reviews on trip advisor before we booked.

Good luck with planning. When do you plan to get married? Xxx

• Posted: 24 Feb 2014 15:01

Hopefully 2016. My partner is studying until June 2015 - so I want him to be clear of stress and not worrying about saving!

• Posted: 24 Feb 2014 15:21

Abroad options sound lovely!

However, for me personally I couldnt do it. I want my nan at my wedding and she's a frail old dear as it is without asking her to jump on a plane for the 1st time in her life!

Good luck with the planning!

Posted: 24 Feb 2014 16:02

We booked through sun and snow weddings. She does summer weddings in greece and winter in lapland. She doesnt show her lapland packages online she emails but i can give you the details if yoir interested in a snowy white wedding :) x

• Posted: 24 Feb 2014 16:17

I really wanted to elope but I'd be sad without my closest family there too so I think so we've compromised and are having a small wedding here in the UK for 15 people and then we're going off to have an amazing honeymoon.  

I really like the overseas option for the ease of setting up the wedding and guaranteed better weather etc if it was just me and OH I'd definitely do it! 

Return to: Wedding Planning
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 12Next >