Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I
Beginner January 1999

Debenhams gift list question

irrelephant, 26 of April of 2012 at 13:36 Posted on Planning 0 19

Now I know gift lists are a bit of a contentious point around here and i don't want to start a debate about whether or not we should be setting one up. However, guests have been asking where we are registered and so we are doing it.

Debenhams is probably the best option for us. Not as expensive as John Lewis, but still some nice stuff. However, I don't what it includes and I can't find anything more detailed than what they have on their website.

What I want to know is, is anyone else registered/has registered in the past with debenhams and knows how it works?

I'm a bit confused about some of the things to do with it. It says £50 gift card AND free delivery but during the registration it is asking which one I want. Also It says you can either have traditional or gift cards or honeymoon or charity. Can we not mix and match? That would be more ideal for us.

Does anyone know anything more about it?

19 replies

Latest activity by Fran @ Hitched, 27 of April of 2012 at 17:05
  • Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

Sorry haven't actually gone through the process - but did go and look in debhanhams and John Lewis so we could decide. I had been routing for Debhanhams - but really it has the same stuff as John Lewis but not as much variety (although I went to a smaller Debhanhams than John Lewis). Also JOhn Lewis does have a own range that is reasonable priced so I dont think it has to be as expnsive as I expected. And its own plates look like Denby butnot the cost so I like that.

I think they have people instore if you can get to one close?

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

The nearest JL to us is Solihull which is putting D off but tbh having read reviews of the debenhams gift list i don't really want to go with them.

I think the JL one is much easier to understand and has much better reviews but D and his mum are insisting on debenhams.

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BatsGirl ·
    • Hide content

We registered and chose the gift card then when we went in we were told it was the gift card + free delivery + they gave us a bottle of wine. The gift card apears if £x amount is purchased off your list.

Worth signing up to. We've only had one negative comment about it and I'm not sure where the bitchiness came from TBH - we're not EXPECTING people to buy but know it's helped us in the past and I've always asked friends for theirs. Grrr.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

PinPin was the negative comment about the gift list itself or that you HAVE a giftlist?

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BatsGirl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That we had one... I've arranged one and also bought from one and I've not had any issues using them.

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What kind of things were the reviews saying DWC? I think we are going to have small, discreet unadvertised list that we will give out on request and were going to go with Debehams. John Lewis definitely have a better range but it is the price that puts me off. I wouldn't shop there myself much but would in Debenhams. Slightly concerned though if reviews are bad ?

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

We're going to set up ours this weekend. Last time we were there, they told us that if we signed up, we'd get a free bottle of bubbly and a £50 gift card and we could take our name off the list if we wanted to. I thought it was too good to be true, so signed up and got the bubbly and a gift card, which said in the small print that it would only be activated once £200 was spent on your gift list!

We had a little think and didn't think it was such a bad idea to do a gift list anyway, but like sweetpea, we're just going to leave it with our parents in case people ask, rather than put it in the invitations.

I think you can have a bit of whatever you want on there, e.g some pots and pans and also a gift card list.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Ok, the reviews were saying that the gift list was temperamental, people were having all sorts of issues with them.

I've just been totting up a list to show D of the price differences, trying to get the same thing in both shops where possible. I think the main thing is that in debenhams its more geared towards buying actual sets, where as in John Lewis its much more traditional and buying individual bits rather than a box of tableware for example. Although having totted it up, there really isn't much difference in prices. A couple of pounds either way, with infact some of the debenhams things being more expensive.

Jojo, i don't mind having a gift list, it doesn't bother me. If i'm going to ask for vouchers, i might as well put a gift list together. in our families people prefer giving gifts rather than money/vouchers.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

It would be nice to replace all our stuff ready for when we can move into our own house though. All the stuff we have at the moment is from our uni days and kernackered. We only have three dinner plates left for example!

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

We've got some of them rellies who want to buy you a set of teaspoons whether you want them or not and vouchers would be scowled upon! I'm really not fussed whether the list is used or not but it's good for those who REALLY want some ideas and want you buy you a 'thing'. I'm uncomfortable with it but have been told to suck it up and do it ?

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

We had one and generally it worked really well. found the instore people excellent and i would go deal with them. the one problem we had was that we found it after a friend mentioned it that some people were being charged for delivery. but that was resolved within hours of me contacting them and all people were phoned, apologised to and repaid.

• Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am glad I read this, i couldnt be bothered to do a totting up so just went for gut feel Smiley smile Its reassured me I am right Thanks! I want to put more individual items than sets as I think its gives people more flexibility to only spend what they want so John Lewis for me - I understand now why so many people do.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

So from you lot on here it seems as though there is a much of a muchness about the two lists really. I think then i will just have to show D my little excel spread sheet and see what he thinks.

Its such hard work doing this. If i could get away with it i wouldn't be bothering but i've had six different requests now, including one cousin who asks me every other day if its sorted yet.

• lianne22
    Beginner September 2012
    lianne22 ·
    • Hide content

We set our Debenhams list up last week. The hardest part is chosing what to put on it! We are having one as lots of people have asked us for details. We like the idea that people can put money onto the giftcard that debenhams give you instead of purchasing a present, but the option of a physical gift is still there for those who want it.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

I think we're going to set up with John Lewis now, although i'm wondering if Debenhams have more choice?

• lianne22
    Beginner September 2012
    lianne22 ·
    • Hide content

I would have prefered John Lewis, but Debenhams is more accessible for our guests.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

That is true. I have signed up to JL but might move it to debenhams.

• Fran @ Hitched
    Beginner April 2012
    Fran @ Hitched ·
    • Hide content

Hi Everyone,

I posted a few weeks back - regarding a brand new gift list feature that hitched.co.uk is going to launch in the near future. We are still looking for beta testers if anyone is interested?

If you are at the stages of planning your wedding gift list and would like to be involved in a brand new feature on hitched.co.uk then please email me directly for further information.

Thanks,

Fran

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics