Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

sherry
Beginner May 2009

Being a size 10, 12, 14, 16 etc - waist size in inches?

sherry, 12 of January of 2009 at 22:46 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 13

Is there a common waist measurement which determines your size?

Ive been looking online at skirts and several sites are different for a size 14 i've seen waist sizes of 32" to 36"

I've just measured myself and wished I hadn't...

13 replies

Latest activity by Mrs-Riley, 25 of July of 2016 at 10:24
  • B
    Beginner January 2002
    Bubs ·
    • Hide content

I wear size 10 jeans from Top Shop and they are 28".

• essexmum
    Beginner August 2009
    essexmum ·
    • Hide content

These are my own personal waist mearsurements

36" - size 16

34" - Size 14

32" - Size 12

30" - Size 10

I know all of these becauase I do my measurements rather than weigh myself now. For shops with a 30" waist (prior to christmas) I was able to buy a size 10 in fatface, some New Look and some Next. I was a size 12 in Coast and a size 14 in Boden

A huge difference tbh, I really wish shops would come up with clothes sizes that actually match other shops, it would make online shopping soooo much better!

• M
    Beginner November 2007
    MarineGirl ·
    • Hide content

Waist size in inches? In furlongs more like *wanders back to BT*

• sherry
    Beginner May 2009
    sherry ·
    • Hide content

MG - you have an excuse. ?

• blossom
    blossom ·
    • Hide content

Size 10 26 inches

12 28

14 30

16 32

• Ronypoo
    Beginner March 2008
    Ronypoo ·
    • Hide content

Depends on the brand- the japanses brands like Uniglo come up rather small. I'm an hourglass so often i need to go up a waist size to get the right fit on hips ( def with jeans).I bought two jumpers in the sales, thankfully i tried tham on first - one i needed a 10, the other a size 14.

Go by your mesurements rather than the very non standard sizing!

• auldlangsyne
    Beginner May 2010
    auldlangsyne ·
    • Hide content

If i'm being organised and in a hurry i measure myself then take the tape measure with me and measure the clothes before i try them on. it saves the hassle of trying on a dozen pairs to get one that fits.

• Moose in the Garage
    Beginner May 2005
    Moose in the Garage ·
    • Hide content

Wow haven't sizes changed, I was a teenager in the late 60's and the "official" measurements were:

Size 10 - bust 32, waist 22, hip 34

Size 12 - bust 34, waist 24, hip 36

Size 14 - bust 36, waist 26, hip 38.

Just as now lots of girls aspired to be a size 10 - and loads of them were, I was definitely. I would imagine that would be thought of as a rather skinny unhealthy size these days but nearly all my friends were a 10 or 12. Shops didn't stock 6's or 8's as far as I remember and no one had heard of a size zero, mind you, using the sizes above a size zero would be bust 20, waist 10, hip 24 so pretty impossible really!!

• MD
    Beginner
    MD ·
    • Hide content

No - most shops vary

• Doughnut
    Beginner June 2008
    Doughnut ·
    • Hide content

Just measured mine and it's 28". I'm about a 12 at the moment.

• Twigi
    Twigi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm a dressmaker and work by these very old standards. Most patterns companies still use them (or something very similar) and all my old self made patterns are based around it. So, I have to be really careful when making a pattern for anyone as I usually end up making it 2 or 3 sizes larger than they are expecting so I'm very careful not to let them know this or mark their size on any paperwork they are likely to see. As a lady who says she is a size 12 would be insulted if she knew I was making her a size 16!!

• Moose in the Garage
    Beginner May 2005
    Moose in the Garage ·
    • Hide content

That's the thing isn't it - people are larger these days, I don't mean necessarily fatter at all, but larger, probably due to better pre natal nutrition and better nutrition for babies and children but people still have the concept of sizes 10, 12, 14 being the ones they want to be so the clothes companies keep the same numbers but make the clothes bigger because if they label them according to the old size scheme people don't want them.

Sorry that was a very long sentence, haven't got time to redo it!

• H
    Beginner
    HappyRedCakes657 ·
    • Hide content

Size 10 "28 inch waist"

Size 12 "30 inch waist"

Size 14 "32 inch waist"

Size 16 "34 inch waist"

Size 18 "36 inch waist"

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

Depends if we're really talking about waist or hip measurements.

For example, I have a 29.5 inch waist, but 40 inch hips! For high waisted skirts, I can usually get away with a 12, but it depends on the shop. I have three identical style skirts from New Look - one is a 14, one is a 12 and one is a 10... and I am definitely not a 10 anywhere else on my body! The material can often affect how things fit.

If it were trousers, I suppose I don't have them sat right on my hips, so can still get away with wearing a size 14 even though my hips are huge.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics