Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Savvy July 2018

Caterer - Can you haggle?

FutureMrsT123, 22 of June of 2017 at 10:01 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi all,

were due to meet our caterers for the first time on Sunday, and this is where a large chunk of the budget is going as our venue insists on using their own in house caterers. I just wondered how much "haggle" room there is with this sort of situation. Of course, they know we're using them so they're not going to be worried about losing business, but at the same time we'll be spending quite a lot on them! Has anyone had this before and got any tips or hints as to what's acceptable to ask, or not ask, or how much you can realistically barter with them?

Im not good at haggling as it is ? So just don't want to put my foot in it! Tips on the right way to phrase things also greatly appreciated! Thanks xxx

5 replies

Latest activity by FutureMrsT123, 23 of June of 2017 at 20:12
  • H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

If it's a package, there's probably no haggle room to be honest, but you can always ask. It depends on if you're asking them to serve expensive food as well.

The best course of action in my mind would have been to ask the venue if the caterers were flexible on price, because the venue would be more willing to compromise in order to get the booking, especially "off peak"

As long as you're polite about it i can't see any harm in asking, what sort of food are you having?

• F
    Savvy July 2018
    FutureMrsT123 ·
    • Hide content

Ahh thanks, good point. We did know the prices at the time of booking to, so obviously we have budgeted for it but it's always just nice to get a bargain wherever you can! Didn't think of asking before we booked - think I was too in love with the venue to think!

We're having a sit down meal, but probably canapés and then two courses, and fish and chips in the evening I think! The caterers do do packages - we're opting for the cheapest, so I suppose I'll just see what they say at the weekend!

• H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

Happy to help Smiley smile

I know what its like getting all worked up over something that you forget to ask the important questions. I now make a list before every appointment in my trusty notebook haha

You can still ask them, but probably tread carefully. Maybe just suggest that you need to trim a little off the budget and ask them if they can help at all. Worst they can do is say "no the price is the price" you just thank them and say you'll have to look at other ways of making the saving.

I'd probably say it like this: "I know this is a bit cheeky, but is there any chance of a small discount or some kind of special offer? We're a teeny bit over budget and would really appreciate any help you can give us"

Most places will try to do something so that they get recommendations from you for future business

• F
    Savvy July 2018
    FutureMrsT123 ·
    • Hide content

Amazing, you sound very organised! Can I take you with me on Sunday? Haha good phrasing, might try asking that. On the plus side they're not charging us any corkage so might have to see this as our way of saving a bit and their way of doing us a deal! x

• H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

Haha sorry but I promised the OH we'd go somewhere Sunday.

It's always best to be polite in my opinion.

No corkage sounds like a pretty good deal to be honest.

Best of luck x

• F
    Savvy July 2018
    FutureMrsT123 ·
    • Hide content

Ah thank you! I agree, niceness goes a long way - trying not to be bridezilla through any of this, whilst still being particular about what we would like - a tough balance! I suppose they're used to it though. Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing our venue again too apart from anything else! And no corkage is such a blessing! X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics