Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner July 2017

Are you throwing your bouquet?

SunnyGoldHair813, 19 of June of 2017 at 09:53 Posted on Planning 0 24

Just as the title says really, are you throwing your bouqet at your wedding? If so, when?

The past couple of weddings I've been to they haven't done this, and I'm not sure if they forgot or if they just didn't plan on doing it.

Only thing putting me off is I kind of want to keep my bouquet for as long as possible, plus I don't want it getting ruined when I throw it. Could I throw one of the bridesmaid's bouquets? (One BM is my sister and I know she wont mind me asking to do this).

24 replies

Latest activity by StillOptimistic, 25 of September of 2017 at 15:19
  • Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

I didn't throw mine, because it contained a lot of flowers I had made and wanted to keep.

The last Wedding I attended, they threw the bouquet shortly before we went into dinner, as all the guests were in the same place.

I can't see why you couldn't throw someone elses bouquet if you wanted to Smiley smile

X

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content

I am not going to throw mine as I want to keep it for as long as possible. It is a good idea to use one of the bridesmaids though.

• DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content

No but I made mine from a book and my bridesmaids from brooches so I'm not throwing away all that hard work!

I think the tradition is outdated so even with flowers I wouldn't be throwing it. Plus most of my friends are already married.

If you're going to do it then using a bridesmaid's bouquet is a good idea.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

A long time back it was the norm to throw the bouquet then for a few years it went out of favour but I have seen over the last few years that it is becoming more popular again, and yes quite often its one of the bridesmaids bouquets that gets used.

I don't think it matters because traditionally it is supposed to be the brides and also the ladies gathered are supposed to be the unmarried ones with the one to catch it being the next to marry. The problem is sometimes that if you only include the un married ones then you may only have one or two and it doesn't look so good on the photos so you gather together as many ladies who want to take part and once you do that then the tradition has sort of been undone so it dosen't matter whos you throw.

I have also seen that sometimes the florist has made up a special extra one just for throwing, maybe from spare bits at a low cost

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

I threw my chief's bridesmaid's bouquet, because 1) I wanted to keep mine, 2) she's not sentimental and doesn't like flowers so gave her a good excuse to not have it for rest of the day.

So that worked out really nicely for us, so do give it a thought, also consider your dress, depending on how you intend to throw it, you may expose more of yourself than planned (I doubt it, but if it's overhead throw with a strong arm, and the dress is strapless and a bit loose)

• H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

I am actually having a wand instead of a bouquet, so no, i won't be throwing mine as it will take someone's eye out!

There's no reason why you cant throw a different bouquet, and I've seen mixed opinions on the whole throwing the bouquet thing. Some people like it as a bit of fun, others find it annoying (so when are you getting married etc.)

Your call basically, for a bit of fun and some cool photos, why not?

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

I'm not throwing mine, my gran is making it :-)

• M
    Beginner October 2018
    Meg101 ·
    • Hide content

I've never been to a wedding where they threw it. I probably won't at mine either

• Hide content
    View quoted message

There was a discussion on here a couple of years ago about the same thing and someone also mentioned their Gran and the way it was written it sounded like they were throwing their Gran instead ?

• PadBin
    Rockstar July 2016
    PadBin ·
    • Hide content

The weddings I've been to when they threw it it was after dinner and just before the disco, I don't think using your bridesmaids one would be a problem, the only thing is make sure you have a enough confident single lady's to do it as I no I only had 3 single lady's at my wedding and I don't think they would of been happy to of been singled out.

I made my bouquet out of brooches and ribbon flowers, it was quite heavy so could of done a lot of damage if thrown. I put it on the gift table which was next to the table where we had lots of vintage cameras and props, it wasn't until my hubby developed the film's that I reliesed my aunty was using my bouquet as a photo prop which was very funny.

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol not sure I could lift my gran, let alone throw her. I also think it might be frowned upon! She was a florist when she was younger and she did my flowers when I was May Queen at church, she's always wanted to do my flowers, we've just had to calm her down as she wanted to do ALL the flowers but she's 84... bless her heart.

• R
    Beginner June 2020
    RunawayGretna ·
    • Hide content

Never been to a wedding that's had it thrown. To be honest, the first time I got married, I completely forgot about it. I put it next to the cake and there it stayed lol. This time round I won't be either as it's only me, the other half and put three kids.

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

I didn't throw mine, as I wanted to keep it so didn't want to damage it. Only one of the brides from the weddings I've been to in the past few years has thrown hers - and the person who caught it took it home, so that wouldn't have worked for me.

You could maybe throw it but take it home if it's made of flowers that would survive it (mine wasn't, but the person who threw hers, the bouquet looked the same afterwards). If not, I think throwing a bridesmaids one would be totally fine if it's something you'd like to do. I'm sure nobody would mind Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SunnyBlueDecor836 ·
    • Hide content

I'm thinking of having a corsage on my wrist and throwing that (I may have to put it round something so it's got enough weight) as I want to put my bouquet on my mums grave.

• P
    Beginner September 2017
    PinkGems254 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I'm not planning on throwing mine as I'm going to put it on my grandparents grave the next day - I'll have small photos of them attached to the bouquet on the actually day but i just thought it would be a nice touch as they can't be there on the day.

I won't be throwing any of my bridesmaids bouquets either as they are all going on graves as well, i.e one of my bridesmaids lost her dad so she will put hers on his grave instead.

I'm not that bothered about throwing it, i'd rather have that moment at the grave instead and its a small way of me including them in the day

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

Ive honestly never seen or heard of this in real life... just on youve been framed lol

I always thought it was an american tradtion like smashing cake in each others face

• Bacchant
    Beginner June 2017
    Bacchant ·
    • Hide content

I had wanted to throw my bouquet, but completely forgot to on the day.

I don't like the symbolism of the bouquet toss, so instead the plan was that whoever caught it (male/female/married/single) would get a bottle of wine.

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

My bouquet was massive & weighed a tonne! H&S & all that. Plus it was too pretty to get damaged & we were planning on taking it to OH's nan's grave the next day.

Also - I think there were only about 3 unmarried people at the wedding so may have been inappropriate to haul them up in front of everyone.

But yes I think if your BM has no major plans to do anything with her bouquet defo throw that one!

• L
    Beginner July 2018
    Lusciouslittlebluebellx ·
    • Hide content

I don't plan on throwing mine and a few of my friends never threw theirs at their wedding either. I don't think it's quite the 'norm' these days. I want to keep my flowers afterwards and get them pressed and framed... that seems more like the norm these days!

I don't see why you can't throw your bridesmaids bouquet Smiley smile if throwing a bouquet makes you happy, do it! Smiley smile

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a really fun thing to do and I'm always disappointed when the bride doesn't do it! I do understand why brides might want to keep their bouquet or put it on a grave of a loved one.

• E
    Beginner October 2017
    ExpensiveYellowConfetti904 ·
    • Hide content

I'm throwing mine to start the party off on the night.

• Hide content

Whenever I have photographed one being thrown its always been understood that the catcher does not actually get to take it home, so you can still use it how you planned after the wedding.

Also when it is thrown typically just before the evening section by then they are past their best but they don't actually get damaged by throwing and being caught (unless there is a massive fight and they get ripped in half ). Yes if you throw them as soon as you get them in the morning then you would see some effects but not after you have been swatting wasps with them all day?

• H
    Beginner September 2017
    HappyGreenFlowers958 ·
    • Hide content

I think i will throw my chief bridesmaids and then my actual bouquet will be put on my granddads grave.

• L
    Beginner September 2017
    LuxuriousYellowDiamonds486 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not going to throw mine - it is costing me £80 so it would literally be throwing cash away!!

And it is too pretty.

• S
    Beginner January 2011
    StillOptimistic ·
    • Hide content

In the US, most brides have a small, inexpensive bouquet made specifically for this ritual. And yes, the person who catches it takes it home with them. I've seen women push other women out of the way to catch the bouquet. ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics