Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

InkedDoll
VIP January 2015

Inked Doll's Gretna Green Wedding Report

InkedDoll, 25 of January of 2015 at 17:04 Posted on Planning 0 68

Ladies (and some gents), I present to you:

InkedDoll’s Gretna Green Wedding Report!

(Before we start: I apologise that the pics are watermarked. We don’t have the proper ones back from the tog yet, but I wanted to do it while everything was still relatively fresh in my mind!)

Part One: How we met and proposal

H and I hail from different parts of the country, but both moved to Manchester in the late 90s. When I got my first job at a large well-known ticket agent, I befriended a girl who was also new, and H was a friend of hers. Neither he nor I can recall our first meeting, but it’s safe to say it was in a nightclub where he used to DJ (shout out to the late Jilly’s Rockworld), and there was likely alcohol involved.

Over the years we moved in and out of the same social circles, and when I started sharing a flat with another good friend of his in 2007, we started seeing more of each other. I was long-term single, but he was in a relationship, so nothing happened between us. Then in 2012 he became single, and we began flirting via email. He asked me to be his girlfriend after only a week or so, and I happily accepted.

Things became very serious between us very quickly. Despite the fact that I was 37 and fairly jaded after so many years of being alone, it was a whirlwind romance, of the type that I never thought I would experience. We started talking about moving in together after about three months, but were both tied to contracts and other flatmates, so that became a tedious process of looking at places without really knowing if we could take them. Marriage was also discussed, but I said we should wait til we lived together, at least.

Then one evening in May 2013, just over six months after we started dating, we were sitting on my sofa watching Match of the Day when he dropped to his knee and took from his pocket…a Ring Pop. This was a reference to a now defunct sitcom we both loved, The New Normal. I tried to find the scene on youtube so I could link it in, but alas no joy. Instead, here is what a Ring Pop looks like:

I laughed and told him to stop being ridiculous. He sat back down. About an hour later, he dropped to one knee again, and produced my vintage ruby and diamond in white gold engagement ring. I said yes. I cried. We texted my mother and ordered a takeaway pizza.

Ring

Pizza

Part two to follow…

68 replies

Latest activity by VegasBride2015, 28 of March of 2015 at 08:36
  • Mrs.K2b
    Beginner August 2015
    Mrs.K2b ·
    • Hide content

Yay! Been looking forward to this one! Hurry up with the next part though!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Part Two: The build up

For the first seven months of being engaged, we did no planning at all. We found a flat, moved in together and concentrated on buying furniture and the like. Then towards the end of 2013, we thought we’d probably better consider actually getting married.

It was my dream to elope to Vegas. Sadly, a quick review of our finances was enough to prove that it wasn’t gonna happen without accruing a pile of debt, which understandably neither of us wanted to commit to. So if you want to elope but can’t make it to Vegas, where do you go? Gretna Green.

We browsed websites and decided that we could afford it with minimal strain, so in January 2014 we booked the date – 16 January 2015, which also happened to be my 40th birthday. I’m a real drama queen about getting old, so getting married seemed like the perfect way to distract myself from the horror of turning 40.

We broke the news to my parents and my H’s mum. They were not thrilled, but accepted that we wanted to do things on our own. Everything was fine until two months later, when H’s mum had a heart attack.

The attack was not life-threatening, but she was in hospital and my H was understandably very upset. He decided then that he wanted her at our wedding. I was conflicted as it had been my dream to elope, but I couldn’t deny him his wishes to have his mum there. After some discussion, we agreed to invite close family: our parents, my brother, sister-in-law and niece, and our aunts and uncles. This totalled 19 people. It was time to get online and choose some invitations!

Regulars of this forum will know that I was not the best at planning. As the months passed, I suffered ridiculous anxieties about my appearance – weight, skin, you name it, I worried about it. The knowledge that people would be there watching us get married triggered all my latent neuroses, and for this reason I didn’t enjoy planning much at all. Still, I booked us a meal in a restaurant for after the ceremony and got on with the practicalities like bouquet, favours and rings. Oh, and the dress.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I Bought My Dress Three Weeks Before The Wedding: The Inked Doll Story

I knew I didn’t want a traditional wedding gown. I began scouring online for dresses, ordered and tried on several, sent them back. In desperation, I contacted a dressmaker in Scotland who sold dresses on etsy in the style I wanted, a simple 60s style shift.

A long chain of emails began. She sent mock-ups, I sent them back with adjustments, I sent measurements, etc. This went on for months and the dress wasn’t ready til November. It arrived. It was too small.

I went into a panic. I convinced myself the lining was at fault and had it adjusted, it didn’t help. I started dieting with vigour, but when four weeks before the wedding it was just too tight, I had to accept that I couldn’t lose enough weight in the time left to make a significant difference. I admitted defeat.

I don’t know what went wrong – I know I hadn’t gained weight in the time, but maybe I got my measurements wrong, or maybe the dressmaker did. I didn’t check, because I didn’t want to start an argument and produce negativity that would affect my wedding day. I just put the dress away – it’s still hanging in my wardrobe right now - and started the online search again.

Three weeks before the day, with the very real possibility that I would get married in denim shorts and a Jim Morrison T shirt encroaching, I was idly browsing in a high street store for a Christmas-themed T shirt to wear for the Christmas night my H was DJing at - and there it was. Ivory, lace front, long sheer sleeves, short but not too short. I tried it on and sent my mum a snap from the changing room. She agreed it was perfect. Dress: done.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Part Three: The day

We arrived at our beautiful hotel, Smiths, the afternoon before the wedding. The weather was wild – crazy high winds and rain – so I was praying for a change the next day. We went to the registry office to collect our marriage schedule, then settled in for the night. Here’s a pic of the hotel:

We woke up next morning to a perfect day – cold, crisp and clear. The ceremony was not til 3pm, so I had ample time to relax and get ready in a leisurely fashion. Nevertheless, by 2pm I was still running around in a panic. Can a woman ever have enough time to get ready for her own wedding? I suspect not.

Just before 3pm, my H and I strolled across the road to the blacksmiths shop, where the wedding co-ordinator, minister and our family - a total of eleven guests - were waiting for us. And now for the flashes!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Here's my dad and me before the ceremony:

Exchanging rings during the ceremony:

You may now kiss the bride

The minister bringing down the anvil - in the olden days, this solemnised your marriage.

With (l-r) my SIL, niece, mum, dad, aunt and brother

Signing the register. My smile makes me look like Wallace here. More cheese, Gromit?

Thank goodness I got the opportunity to wear my vintage fur.

And here we are strolling off towards our future. Yes, the tog was a bit cheesy. No, I didn't mind.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Just as the tog was finishing up his pics, a crowd of Japanese tourists emerged from another part of the blacksmiths. They were very excited to see a wedding taking place and all started snapping away, so we posed for a few more pics, which are probably now on Facebook somewhere. We'll never know.

After the ceremony we went to the bar at our hotel for drinks. We hadn't told the majority of people we know that we were getting married, so we were straight on Facebook to share the news. Here's a pic my mum took of me on my phone, looking impressively anti-social.

Then we went to a different hotel, the Mill Forge, for our meal. It was lovely - relaxed, not too posh, they looked after us a treat. Recommended!

At about 8.30pm, we headed back to our hotel and took a cocktail from the bar up to our room. We watched 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown and The Last Leg on TV in bed, and thus ended our wedding day.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Oh my god ID, how did I not know that you ditched the dress and bought another one 3 weeks before the wedding?! Fab choice though, looks great! The sleeves are gorgeous. Love your proposal story ☺ pics are lovely, particularly love the one by the hands. Congrats again!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop. Been longing to read this and see the pics. Beautiful beautiful stuff. So you, just as it should be Smiley smile and your photos are perfect. And no, you don't look like Wallace. You look great x

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Part Four: Aftermath

The word ‘aftermath’ makes it sound a bit like our wedding was an explosion, or a flood. It wasn’t. I was gonna go for ‘conclusion’, but that sounds like I’m writing an essay. I expect a B at least for this.

Anyway. The next morning we went across to the blacksmiths shop to take a few more snaps of the scenery, then headed home. We couldn’t afford a honeymoon, so we’ve just spent this week lounging around the house, a couple of days out, and arranging my H’s change of name, and my change of title. Brides to be, heed my warning: that last part is tedious.

So, to sum up: Gretna is beautiful. I know people sometimes have concerns about it being like some sort of wedding conveyor belt, but it really isn’t. We were treated like individuals all the way through the process, and made to feel special. Our minister was amazing too – Mark Smith of the River of Life Church, in case anyone ever needs a rec. The blacksmiths shop is steeped in history, it’s intimate and romantic, and I’d recommend it for any elopement or small wedding.

And that’s about it. We’re married now, and I drink my tea from this reminder.

Oh, and yeah - I couldn't have done it without the ladies of Hitched! Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner March 2015
    Sums2b ·
    • Hide content

Are you really 40?? You look about 25!

I love your engagement ring, it's gorgeous.

the whole day looks lovely, huge congratulations xx

• S
    Beginner April 2015
    Spring Bride 85 ·
    • Hide content

Yay! Thanks for sharing. :-)

So glad you had a lovely day. You look really lovely and happy in the pics.

I hadn't realised you'd changed dresses! Well done you for finding one so perfect with so little time to spare. I'd be a mess!

Congratulations and thanks again for showing us. :-)

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

Superb! Definitely deserving of an A.

Love the fact you can drink a cup of tea from your wedding venue.

Great report. Well done!

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

I'll be honest; i got more than a little teary. sounds like you had an intimate and perfect day. your pics are lovely- nothing like i expected from your posts of late; i honestly think you look fantastic- every inch the beautiful bride and SO happy Smiley smile

wishing you and mr id, every happiness in your married life together Smiley smile may each day be a new adventure!

and as for the wallace thing; a. don't see it myself, and b. i could give you a run for your money with one of my wedding pics, i like to call 'the overly happy smurf' Smiley winking lol

congratulations chick Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner December 2016
    sarah121 ·
    • Hide content

Aww I do love a good wedding report. Congrats ID Smiley smile xxx

• bubblerawk
    Beginner July 2016
    bubblerawk ·
    • Hide content

Awww lovely Smiley smile

your engagement ring is amazing.

and woohoo i used to loves Jillys Smiley laugh

• miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

Lovely report, congratulations Inked Doll ;-)

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

This is such a lovely report. I only joined hitched earlier this month so have only caught the very end of your planning. Looks like a perfect day. Congratulations!

• Mrs.K2b
    Beginner August 2015
    Mrs.K2b ·
    • Hide content

I love it, you look gorgeous (and nowhere near 40!) I knew you'd had issues along the way with your dress, but didn't realise you'd got a different one completely!

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

YAY, a "short but sweet" report, got to say you totally rock the vintage look, you look fantastic, loved the photos.

Beginner March 2015
    2ndtimeforever ·
    • Hide content

Oh wow, what a beautiful intimate day. You looked fabulous you rocked that dress!!

I haven't posted much on hitched but I have followed most people stories since I joined and I really looked forward to reading your report .. A+ Mrs Smiley smile

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!!! You look beautiful and so happy xx

• Barnett2015
    Beginner April 2015
    Barnett2015 ·
    • Hide content

Ahhhh it all looks so romantic and intimate. Love it!

In that photo of you signing the register you H2B looks very pleased with himself and his new wife!

• jennybob
    Beginner April 2015
    jennybob ·
    • Hide content

Huge congratulations!! I loved your report and all the pics Smiley smile xxx

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I like the eloping reports the best. I'm so glad you had a lovely day. I didn't realised you ditched your original dress. The dress you replaced it with is lovely. Xx

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Loved reading this inked doll, congratulations you look very happy x

• soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations ID, love the report as I have only caught snippits of your planning. You definitely don't look 40 and you look so amazingly happy!

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    McHelenz ·
    • Hide content

A star!!

It looks like a beautiful day Smiley smile, and I second a previous comment, you deffo can't be 40! I hope I age that well Smiley smile

I love you ended to day on the last leg, the best way to end any wedding! xx

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

Another who didn't realise you'd ditched the dress! Did you keep that quiet from us or did I miss it when I was AWOL for my own wedding?

You definitely don't look 40! You both look incredibly happy. Congratulations. ?

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

What a lovely report to read. You looked AMAZING Smiley smile

So glad you got the day that you wanted. I like Gretna weddings, I think they can be really special, and yours definitely seemed to be. But OMG at the dress drama, I felt stressed just reading that!!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Aw lovely report. Love the proposal and the ring pop, they were awesome in the 90s!

Your new dress was lovely too.

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

Wow, what they all said really! I have been so looking forward to your report ID, and I'm so pleased your day didn't disappoint. Thanks for sharing your planning and day with us all. You looked gorgeous, i think your dress is fab, i cant believe it ws so last minute!

Congratulations!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Thankyou all Smiley smile no, I didn't mention on here that I had been forced to ditch my original dress. Not sure why - I think at that point I just put my head down and focussed on the search for a new one. Glad everyone likes the replacement - I won't say how much it cost, but if ever there is a ' cheapest dress' category in the hitched awards, I suspect I would win! I am still considering losing some weight to try to help my arthritic hip, so maybe I'll fit into the original one day. If and when we can afford it we're hoping to make it to Vegas for a vow renewal, so maybe then.

Oh and I'm very glad I don't look 40, that's reassuring to read!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics