Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner August 2014

DIY village hall decorations...help please!

weddingvirgin, 16 of April of 2014 at 10:40 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi everyone,

I'm getting married next August and this month I've given myself the task of sorting out the decorations. I've been putting this off for ages as I'm not very creative or good at visualising how things will look. Sadly my laptop has committed suicide so can't flash a pic!

So we are having a village hall wedding and are on quite a tight budget. I've already accepted it's going to look very plain and there are going to be some things I don't like such as the mustard curtains and the chairs (originally wanted to hire nicer ones but it was double the cost of the venue hire and my florist had her reception in the same place and told me she didn't really notice them on the day!) I've only been to two weddings in quite spectacular venues so starting to panic about ours a bit!!!

for the meal and ceilidh I'm not worried about how it looks as people will be so busy eating and dancing to notice. For the ceremony however id like to try and make it look a bit weddingy! It's likely a lot of the tables will be set up down the sides of the hall to allow a quick turn around for the meal which will be decorated with trailing ivy and tea lights. The. I'll have the (ugly!) chairs but my florist is going to do pew ends.

Finally for the place where we'll stand I've bought something similar to this..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Signature-08273-Gardman-Nature-Arch/dp/6040138114/ref=sr_1_20?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1397640662&sr=1-20&keywords=garden+arch

but not really sure how to go about decorating it! Fairy lights? Flowers? Any one have any suggestions? Also this might seem silly but I only went to my second wedding recently and I forgot we would need a table to sign the registrars book!! Would it look daft it was over to one side as I think it might look a bit silly behind the arch.

Finally I'd planned on getting some decorations to hang from the ceiling but can't find anything I like for a reasonable price. Not a big fun of bunting sadly! Hoping if we have the arch as a focus point people won't really be looking around too much?

12 replies

Latest activity by Haror1990, 1 of September of 2020 at 06:58
  • K
    Beginner June 2014
    ktk8 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

how about paper lanterns they look great hung at different lengths,

im having my reception in a machine shed on my brothers farm and we are using loads of fairy lights, paper lanterns and draping organza from the ceiling!

if you want fairy lights go on ebay I got around 500 meters for £60

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

What's your venue called? It'll be easier to give decoration suggestions if we can look up your venue first.

• W
    Beginner August 2014
    weddingvirgin ·
    • Hide content

Hey.

Fairy lights might be a good shout as they seem reasonably priced. I think I'm going to have to go and have a look at the venue and figure out the logistics of plugging them in.

My venue doesn't really have much of presence online. It's just a bog standard village hall in a tiny rural village in NE Scotland. My florist had her reception there over a year ago and don't think there's been any weddings there since!

most of the online pics I found were of the renovation works but this is one of their coffee morning when they opened.

http://www.monymusk.org/downloads/open_doors_00.jpg

just imagine mustard curtains and some big square white panels in the ceiling for sound insulation!

• M
    Beginner May 2015
    missgeebee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was going to say the same, you can get lovely colour variations!

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

With decorating village halls, I think it's a fine line. Too much decoration can look like you are trying to hard to cover stuff up and make it fancy. Much better to go with it and accept it's a village hall. Stick to a few things to keep it looking together. Fairy lights and flowers for example my be nice, since your having your arch and pew ends. Add in some pompoms or lanterns that pick out your colours and you are away!

I'm lucky that my village hall is pretty nice decor in grey and creams. I really wanted quite a glam Art Deco theme, but it would have looked daft and like I was trying to tart up the hall too much. So I'm now having bunting and mercury glass with bits of lace and pearl. No other decor than what's on the tables (lots of candles) and the bunting. I must confess to booking chairs (£400) when the hire of the hall is less than 1/4 of that. I've cut other areas as I wan't having the blue plastic ones.

• W
    Beginner August 2014
    weddingvirgin ·
    • Hide content

ATB you couldn't be more right! It's definitely a fine line. I think I might just go for hanging some fairy lights from the roof. Paper lanterns are nice but I think too little or too much doesn't look quite right so I'll probably just find it less stressful to do something more simple.

Ketu53. Thanks for the advice. I did actually see some good priced artificial hanging flowers on eBay that might work. Also when I meant side table for the book I meant the one that me and my fiancé need to sign during the ceremony. Was worried it might look a bit weird for us to walk over to one side of the room during the ceremony.

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

How about something like this for the arch?

If you search 'indoor wedding arch' on pinterest loads of awesome ideas pop up!

• Mrs P to be 2015
    Beginner March 2015
    Mrs P to be 2015 ·
    • Hide content

Lights, lights and more lights! They will help to disguise the bits you don't like and draw attention to the bits you do. Festoon lights along with bunting or paper Pom poms ( which are really simple to make if you want to match them to your exact color scheme) will look great in a village hall. Candles are also a great, cost-effective option and will help transform your space.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I saw another picture of your hall with the curtains, they aren't mustard, they are a similar colour to the wood panelling and go fine! It looks cute and fresh. Does it still have the black chairs? The so aren't as bad as the ones in my hall that are horrible blue plastic. My friend had chairs the same as yours, but blue and they looked fine!

A few weddings in my hall have taken the curtains down, if you really don't want them, would that be an option?

• W
    Beginner August 2014
    weddingvirgin ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the advice people. Think I'm just going to fairy light mad and hope it works out ok!

• H
    Maryland
    Haror1990 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all that, I want interior suggestions for my house. please advice me if you can.

• H
    Maryland
    Haror1990 ·
    • Hide content

Bamboo is a versatile material that can be used in everything from cutting boards to floors to countertops. If you want a beautiful, resilient, eco-friendly and affordable material for your home or a commercial project, you've found it.

https://www.ambientbp.com/bamboo-plywood-panels.php

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics