Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Suit hire - how much?!

19 of April of 2013 at 15:47 Posted on Planning 0 20

Afternoon all!

The Groom and Best Man have had bespoke suits made but we are now looking to set up the 6 bridal party men / ushers with theirs and I am absolutely gobsmacked at how much these cost to hire!

We don't want tails or Prince Edward coats, just a fairly standard 3 piece grey suit and the two prices which we've seen so far are £115 - £130 per suit. This does NOT include shirts, cuff links, cravats/ties, shoes... We need to go with a national retailer as we are fitting in London and Warwickshire, but does anyone have any recommendation which might come in cheaper? Or am I being naive and this is actually how much suit hire costs?

Failing this, I think we're going to buy the suits because most stores are offering a £99 package but that's still close to £600 I don't want to be spending!

Can't wait to hear your thoughts as ever guys! x

20 replies

Latest activity by Sparkly Momma, 24 of July of 2013 at 15:59
  • N
    Beginner July 2014
    neo_kat26 ·
    • Hide content

Our Bestmen/Ushers etc are paying to hire their own instead of giving us a wedding present! They offered and my OH accepted ? Handy really because if they had said it to me I would have insisted that they didnt need to do that!!

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    morristobe ·
    • Hide content

Were using Slaters, were having tails which is £120 including shirt and cravat, so i'm guessing a standard suit would be cheaper. They also do buy 4 get 1 free

• rp304
    Beginner August 2013
    rp304 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, we are hiring our suits from an independent shop and it's £95 for full set of jacket, trousers, shirt, waistcoat, cravat and cuff links. But because we are ordering 6, we get one free and they had 5% off orders is Feb so it works out £77.30 each which we were pleased with.
    Other places we looked wanted about £100 for whole package.

Moss Bros does wedding suit hire and the packages includes two piece suit, waistcoat, shirt, cravat or tie and handkerchief for around £92 depending on the suit you choose. And you get one outfit free if you order over four, so that should make a big difference to the price Smiley smile http://www.moss.co.uk/pws/hire/pricing/pricing.html

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

Yikes, that's expensive! My fella has hired everything for £90! It is a lower price because of 1 in 5 suits free offer though. They have a few branches in the Midlands but none down South unfortunately. I hope you find something!

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

If you do go down the buying route then I recommend Tesco - I got suits with a jacket, trousers, waistcoat and tie for £52 each (though I waited for an offer to get £10 off per £40 spent) They are good quality and they fit really well. The men really liked them too, with my FBIL commenting that they were a lot like the ones they hired for another wedding at £100 each.

I bought shirts from Debenhams for only £15 each (plus buy one get one half price)

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

I don't know how much you want everything to match but we are telling the best man and two ushers just to wear their own suits, that will save us a lot of money!

• J
    Beginner April 2013
    JanetJones ·
    • Hide content

DO NOT FEAR!

I got my suits - and they were fantastic - from https://www.formallyyours.co.uk/.

ALL suits cost £57. This includes jacket, waistcoat, shirt, tie, handkerchief, trousers. They deliver - £5 per address - to your house one week before the wedding, if any replacements are required they will deliver those too in good time.

Then they pick up the Monday after the wedding. From whichever address you wish - my OH's suit was delivered to Dursley, the best man's to Surrey, and my Dad's to South Wales. Then they were all picked up from South Wales.

The suits were awesome.

• M
    Beginner March 2014
    Mary C to be K ·
    • Hide content

We're going down the route of buying or wearing one they already own. It seemed such a waste of money to hire when we could buy for the same money or less and they can use the suits again. I've looked at Tesco, which are amazingly good for the price, and sales in Marks, Debenhams and John Lewis all of which have good offers.

• A
    Beginner December 2013
    Amaranth ·
    • Hide content

We're hiring kilts- tartan still to be decided, we'll probably let the guys come to the final decision between a few- and the guys are paying £99 each for the adults, and £59 for my stepson. We're only having our dads, adult brothers and my stepson in the kilts; her two half-brothers will be in whatever their mother wants. She didn't want them in kilts, so, whatever. No biggie

The £99 package for the men includes everything: the kilt, shirt, cravat tie, waistcoat, jacket, sporran, kilt pin, hose flashes, fake sgian dhu and shoes. The same is included in the £59 package for my stepson. The guys can choose the waistcoat/jacket style they want; as long as it's black and they're in the right tartan, I don't care in the slightest.

It rather helps that they're paying for their own, gotta say.

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

I was going to suggest Greenwoods. Not sure what their suits are like but they always have promos advertised in their window.

• Guy Wade
    Guy Wade ·
    • Hide content

If you decide to buy from Tesco/Matalan/Primark etc. then check the material OUTSIDE on a SUNNY day (ask if you can a pair of trousers to the window).

A lot of their suits are really good prices and perfectly good quality for the money but the high Nylon content can look sparkly and cheap in daylight. The suits that are meant to look shiny are better than the ones that aren't. Black especially can be a problem.

• O
    Beginner August 2013
    okikokikate ·
    • Hide content

Where is the best place price wise to get top and tails?

confused with the accidental waiver charges and hire fees for the different places

• N
    Beginner August 2013
    Numpty217 ·
    • Hide content

We have gone with Slaters in Manchester Smiley smile The Staff were brilliant with all our party as we couldn't get everyone in one the same day. They have the Mid Grey Short Morning Suit, As like you said we didnt want the Tails either!! They were £86.00 Each but when you buy 5, you get the 5th Hire for free comes with the shirt, hankies and ties too Smiley smile
    Hope this helps when for when you go shopping xx Good luck xx

• K
    Beginner April 2014
    kitcat10210 ·
    • Hide content

We are going for Greendwoods. They were one of the stallholders at a wedding fayre that we went to sunday just gone and they have an offer on at the minute where you get everything (tie, hanky, jacket,pants,waistcoat,cufflinks, shirt) for £69, and he said that offer is on until September. We are snatching their hands off! I dont know if it is just our local store doing this but he also said if we find anywhere doing the whole lot cheaper then they will match the price, in his words, just to Pi%% them off! Apparently business is brutal at the moment lol.

• B
    Beginner June 2014
    Babbo ·
    • Hide content

Went to a wedding fayre saturday and I now think we will be using Greenwoods too!! just £80-90 for full hire, suit, shirt, cravat cufflinks ect!

• H
    Beginner
    HappyBlackDiamonds25 ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

My husband, groom and my father hired suits from Thomas Farthing.

They have affordable pirses for hiring formal attire. My John had Prince Edwar suit - black: ?

http://hire.thomasfarthing.co.uk/17-black.html

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

My OH will be going with Slaters or Youngs as they're around the £100ish mark and include everything.

• Sparkly Momma
    Beginner November 2013
    Sparkly Momma ·
    • Hide content

The problem we are also having is that we want normal suits, not 'wedding' styles. I'd recommend getting yourself to an outlet village or House of Fraser outlet store that kind of thing. Real bargains to be had and better quality than supermarkets/Matalan for about the same price.

We are strongly considering letting everyone wear their own though, this close we can't afford to buy them and if we're not paying I don't think we should be dictating what they wear!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics