Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

1234ABC
Beginner

******My Wedding Report - 15/12/11******

1234ABC, 11 of June of 2012 at 22:36 Posted on Planning 0 23

SO! Yes, I got married in December 2011....It is nearly 6 months since our big day, and I'm SO pleased to say i've finally finished writing my report. (HURRAY!) I need to add some photo's to it, but I'll make a start tonight with the run up to the day. It will probably be tomorrow night before you'll get the next instalment, but I promise photo's with it!

Friday 9th December

Last day of work. Having been sent home from work the day before due to Hurricane “BawBag” I found myself with a LOT of work to get done before I finished at 3 for my staff Christmas Party. I work across 2 different departments in my work, so I whist trying to get through my workload, I was called into my colleagues office and was presented with a gorgeous card and vouchers for a very nice restaurant in Glasgow (Carluccio’s in case you’re wondering! Apparently it’s a lovely place!) I was amazed at the generosity of my colleagues and really couldn't thank them enough for their lovely gift. I then had to return to my work and I somehow I managed to get everything finished and got away on time.

Across the campus to my other post’s location, a colleague and me were in charge of the Christmas Quiz, so we had to set up for that. It was also her 40th birthday the following day, so I had been busying myself with organising a card and a cake and a wee whip round for her, completely forgetting that it was my last day at work before the wedding. So after we had all sang Happy Birthday and presented the birthday cake, it was then my turn to be given another beautiful card with a very generous gift of IKEA vouchers.

We then went on with the rest of our evening quiz and then headed out for a lovely Christmas dinner in a restaurant by the name of Alla Turca, which is actually a lovely place if you like that kind of food!

As I was driving (It was OH’s Christmas do that night too, and I had agreed to be designated driver) I got in touch with OH to let him know when I was ready to head out and he came to meet me. In true RKB style, it took me longer to get away than I originally thought I would, so I actually met OH further up the street than we’d agreed.

I saw him standing (albeit very drunk) with his hands behind his back all smiles. As I crossed the road he took a couple of steps forward and brought out a lovely single rose that he’d been hiding behind his back. 2 of my colleagues who I’d been with were there to give the “Awwwwww” factor to the moment. I was at that moment so excited that I was getting married in 6 days time.

Saturday 10th December

This wasn’t as busy a day for us as we were amazingly well organised. Quick trip into town to get gifts engraved and pick up the last of the wedding gifts. Went for a lovely Lunch in Roma on Bath Street. Had an actual laugh out loud at a couple walking past Berketex Brides. The girl was looking longingly at the dresses in the window, and the boyfriend’s face was an overdose of apprehensiveness.
We had a lovely evening in wrapping gifts and getting our things together for Sunday.

Sunday 11th December

It was MIL2B’s birthday! So we all took the annual winter trip up to the Christmas Shop in Crieff when OH and I bought the candles for our ceremony, had a lovely lunch and headed back to MIL2B’s house for cake. I ended up booking an appointment to get my nails done on the Tuesday with MIL2B and her other Daughter in law. We also decided to give out our thank you gifts at this point. MIL2B got a framed print of a painting she loves. OH’s SIL got a lovely charm for her bracelet. BIL2B got a Sgian Dubh, our nephew got his first guitar and our littlest niece got a wee bracelet with her name and the wedding date engraved on it. MIL2B then gave us a beautiful ornament and a rather large amount of money as our wedding gift. Afterward OH and I headed home. We opened a bottle of wine in the evening and planned out the rest of our week. It was a very relaxed evening and I was beginning to think that I was much more organised than I gave myself credit for.

Monday 12th December

I spent most of the day wrapping presents for everyone, and generally just chilling out as I had a slightly busier day ahead of me the following day. I ordered SKY to be installed on the 19th. It wasn't until afterwards I realised that I had ordered it in what would be my maiden name when it arrived. I figured it didn’t matter and that I would sort it afterwards. (Still haven't i might add)

Tuesday 13th December

The busiest day of the week (wedding day not included). OH had to go and pick up the Kilts from the hire shop, which meant a nice wee lie in for me again. Got a text from one of my bridesmaids to say that she would be in Glasgow at 3.30pm the following day, which meant that I’d need to rearrange a couple of things so that I could go and pick her up from the train station. So after picking up the Kilts, OH was back to pick me up for my hairdressing appointment that afternoon. The weather had taken a nasty turn and was blowing a gale and starting to snow. Great! What was Thursday going to be like? I quickly came to the conclusion that there was no point worrying about it because I couldn't change it. So into the hair dresser I went. And came out blonder than before. OH nearly didn’t recognise me as I walked towards him. He loved it though and commented on how it wasn’t unlike how it used to be when we first got together. We then had to go to OH’s mums to pick up things to go to the venue and I was getting my nails done too. We ran into a small problem with the ribbon for our OOS! But my mum phoned to say she had lots more of that ribbon so I said I’d pick it up the following day.

When we eventually got home, I had a lovely relaxing evening with a glass of wine while OH tidied up the house because I had to watch I didn’t ruin my nails before the wedding.

23 replies

Latest activity by 1234ABC, 20 of June of 2012 at 16:16
  • O
    Beginner August 2012
    olderbride ·
    • Hide content

Loving it so far. Look forward to reading the rest and seeing the photos x

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

RKB you are almost as bad as me, I still haven't done mine from OCTOBER!

Loving it so far, awaiting flashes....

• D
    Beginner May 2012
    dlees81 ·
    • Hide content

Gorgeous and giggly! Lovely and fab! Good start! Looking forward to the rest and the flashes! (I'm busy doing mine, a bit diff to yours, but it's heavy going ey?)

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

More more more!

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This! Keep it coming Smiley laugh

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Mooooore!

• Mrs Mack
    Beginner May 2012
    Mrs Mack ·
    • Hide content

Looking forward to the rest!

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

Wednesday 14th December (The Day Before)
    The days seemed to have gone past in a blur. Suddenly it was the day before and I had a minor panic attack that we hadn’t done everything, but after a coffee and a quick run through of all our lists, we realised that we were in fact completely ready. We spent the morning packing everything that needed to go to the venue. We headed up to drop various things off and I had the chance to pop in to see our decorator at work. She gave us a lovely tree decoration with our wedding date on it. I was so consumed with the venue coming together that I was late leaving to pick up my aunt to go see the cake! Turns out I was only 10 minutes late to see the cake which looked AMAZING!!

We left the cake lady at half 1 and headed straight for my mums to pick up the ribbon she had, then it was straight into Glasgow to pick up one of my Bridesmaids.
    We got back to the house at about half 4 and within a couple of hours it was time to say ‘laters’ to OH. I bubbled when he left, and he told me not go in our room until he text me to say I could. So I sat with my Bridesmaid drinking pink fizz and watching the TV.

I eventually got a text from OH to say that I could go into the room. He’d left 2 presents and a wee note. The note said that I could open one of the gifts, but not to open the other one until I was going to bed. Bless him, OH had got a photo of one of my rabbits printed on a canvas and framed. It was gorgeous and I bubbled again. I text OH’s mum to ask her to give OH’s my gift. I’d had a slight problem with his. I’d written out the Gorgeous Groom Journal for him, but my hard drive had broken a few weeks before with all my photo’s on it, so I didn’t get the chance to fill it with images for him. So I improvised and wrote ‘pages reserved for the future memories we’re going to make together’

One of the groomsmen who was coming from France text me to say he was on his plane, but it was having technical difficulties. I told him not to worry that I was sure he’d make it. Just to make sure that he kept me up to date on what was going on.

My Chief Bridesmaid said she’d be over for 10pm as she had to run someone to and from their Christmas do. By 8pm I hadn’t heard anything from the groomsman which I took to be a good thing that his plane had finally taken off. 10pm and I get a text to say that he had landed in London and now had to make his way across London to get the sleeper train up to Glasgow. I wished him luck and asked him to let me know when he got the train. I refused to believe that he wouldn’t make it. And I was right. He was on the train with 20 minutes to spare!... which wasn’t that much considering he’d built an hour and a half buffer into his timings. I told him to get some sleep and I’d see him soon!

Cue midnight and I get a text from CBM to say she was on her way!

I didn’t really know how I expected my last night as a single woman to be, but I did enjoy sitting up until half one drinking decaff coffee, and eating mince pies and apple pies. I decided half one was getting a bit late so I retired to my bed.
    I took the other gift that OH had told me not to open until I was going to bed. I opened the bag to find one of his t-shirts folded at the bottom which he had sprayed with his aftershave. So I put the shirt on and climbed into bed. I fell asleep really easily and dreamt that my rabbit was chewing huge holes in my carpet.

Thursday 15th December – The Big Day!!!

And suddenly the day was here!! I woke feeling refreshed and very relaxed. I got up and poked my head out my room. My chief bridesmaid had just come out the shower and she looked at me “You’re getting married today!” I grinned “Yeah I am!!” so we went into the living room where my other bridesmaid was waiting. I was still smiling “Can’t believe I’m getting married today!” I said to her “Really?? You’re getting married today? You should have said something!” She replied with a smile on her face.

I put the kettle on and we sat and chatted. I still hadn’t finished putting my bag together for the wedding night so I went off to do that while the Bridesmaids made the teas and coffees. The next thing I know it’s half past 8 and the door goes. It was my little brother (who was dressed in a suit and tie and looked so smart and handsome). I nearly burst into tears. “Thought I’d better make an effort for the bride” he said. I laughed “I’m honoured! Your just in time for tea!”

So I finished getting dressed and got my bag ready, we had our coffees and teas and 15 minutes later than I was supposed to leave, I left the house with everyone taking my bags from me. I locked the door and turned to go to the car to find that my little brother and my mum had spent the morning decorating his car with ribbons and bows just for me! – Cue me nearly bubbling again.

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

09:00

We arrived at my grans house and met up with the 3rd of my 4 bridesmaids (this was the bridesmaid that saved the day and fitted into my little sisters dress)
    My older sister and my nieces were due to arrive at 09:30 so I had another cup of coffee and a catch up with my Gran and Aunt who were working away in the kitchen making up sandwiches for the torrent of people due to arrive at the house. My aunt told me that everything was in the rooms upstairs ready to go, so I went up to the rooms to check that all our things were where they could be easily located when we started to get ready. I got a little flutter in my tummy when I saw my dress and the girls dresses hanging up behind the door. I really couldn’t wait!!

09:30

The wonderful woman who did my hair for the day arrive right on time. And began setting up. The first of my bridesmaids went to get her hair done.
    By 09:45 my last bridesmaid (and my parents) still hadn’t arrived and I was starting to get a bit worried.

10:00
    My parents finally arrived with my older sister and my nieces. Relief washed over me that she hadn’t suddenly changed her mind….although she had a face like thunder when she came in complaining how unwell she felt. I felt a little down that she wasn’t excited about the day, but my other girls were quick to react and cheer me right back up again.

The wonderful lady who did my make arrived too and began working her magic on us all.

Fast Forward to 13:00

Hair and makeup done, all that was left to do was to have some lunch, get a touch up on my hair and get photo’s taken. My dad and little brother arrived all dressed up looking smart and I got a little teary when I saw them looking so handsome.

The photographers arrived at 13:30 and began taking all the before shots before heading up to the venue to get some before shots with my soon to be husband!!

The ceremony was due to start at 2pm, and at 1.45 I still wasn’t in my dress, and the cars had arrived. I started to panic. I had to get the girls in their dresses!

Once they were dressed they began the task of getting me into my dress, which proved to be a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.
    Lacing up the back of my dress proved a job and a half. All 4 bridesmaids were trying to lace the dress up, I breathed out….. *SNAP* - I had barely got the ‘Oh’ out for the statement ‘Oh My God’ when I was swarmed by the 4 of the girls waving their hands at me with a collective “It’s fine, don’t panic! It was just the panel! The modesty panel has poppers to hold it in place, but I neglected to tell the girls that they’d never been popped into place when I was being fitted for the dress, so when they were trying to pop the panel into place….it popped back off again.

This happened again when my mum came into help, she freaked out when the panel popped again and the girls jumped to tell her that it was fine again. I was laughing for ages and it really settled my nerves that had suddenly appeared.

1.55pm and it was time to go. The girls piled into the waiting bridesmaid car and off they went just leaving me with my dad and our car. It was starting to feel real.

The Bridesmaids car

The car journey to the venue only took 5 minutes, and I sat in silence watching the road I’d driven so many times with my OH go by me hardly believing that this was it. I was about to get married to the man I loved.

All those finite details that we’d spent months looking at, discussing and even arguing over faded into a blur as I made my way down the aisle holding onto both my parents.

My dad stood on my dress causing much hilarity between the three of us.

Before I knew it I was beside my wonderful fiancé. That one moment when he looked over his shoulder at me with the biggest grin on his face

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

CEREMONY
    The ceremony was a bit of blur. Our mums lit two candles at the beginning. There was a good giggle when my mums candle wouldn’t light. OH leant over to me and whispered ‘maybe we should have tested the candles’ I started laughing ‘I didn’t think we’d need to test a candle to make sure it lit….’

(You will note that my new husband didn't help me with my dress here. tut tut.)

At 8pm it was time for the cutting of the cake and our first dance. H was so nervous about dancing, but I talked him through it as we dance and he even managed to spin me which was met with many cheers.

We then treated our Guests to one of the most amazing fireworks displays that even we’d ever seen. But we’d used an amazing company who I would highly recommend . One of our guests managed to get some of it on video via this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zs4uLiJ6fc

By 10pm I had to give up on my Wedding Dress and my Dad and Chief Bridesmaid had to leave (yes, I left my wedding) and go back to my house to get another dress to wear.

We were back by half 10 and I danced the night way while H chatted with his friends. Starting Married Life truly as we meant to go on.

• K
    Beginner April 2013
    Kadypants ·
    • Hide content

Aww what a gorgeous report! And a gorgeous wedding! I swore I wasnt going to cry at this one, BUT I started blubbing when I read about the bauble!! Such a nice idea! I especially like the Christmassy feel to the whole day.

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Looks so romantic with the setting. Beautiful! X

• quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content

Amazing report, fab pics, and worth the wait ?

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

N&P

Wedding Dress - June Brides, Glasgow
    Bridesmaid Dresses - June Brides, Glasgow
    Boys Kilts - Slaters, Glasgow
    Venue - Culcreuch Castle, Fintry
    Tiara - Own design created by Galleria Luti, Callander
    Cars - Carrs of Loch Lomond, Gartocharn
    Bouquet - My Bouquet by Rainbow Florist! - Mahoosive Thanks to this fabulous lady!
    Cake - Shirleys Cakes, Kippen
    Wishing Tree - My Parents
    Ginger Bread House - My Aunt
    Venue Decoration - Creative Balloons, Kirkintiloch and EventDecor, Killearn
    Fireworks - 21cc Fireworks, Edinburgh

And the Band who don't normally do weddings, but made an exception for us - Carson City!

And my parents for doing the Disco in between

And of course we would like to thank all our Family and Friends who were there on the day to make it the most perfect day for us!

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

What a lovely wedding report! The whole day looks so romantic and you look BEAUT!

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Ooh lovely, worth the wait!

We had the candles and ring warming too! Everyone loved them! Love your photos esp the sunset ones!

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful report!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Awww what a lovely report. Well worth waiting for RKB. You looked so pretty! Love the handwarmers too, fab idea, and your ceremony room was so lovely with all the little lights.

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

Fab, fab fab!! congrats and all looks wonderful

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

What a lovely report and lots of gorgeous photos!

I actually said "aww" out loud when I read the bit about your OH giving you one of his t-shirts.

You looked beautiful, I'm a sucker for red so I love your colours. The ring blessing was a really nice idea, I've never heard of that before.

I'm getting married in December so quite excited to read a December report. I might have to have a 2pm ceremony too and have been worried that it will get dark too early for photographs but you seem to have plenty!

Congratulations and all the best for the future!

P.s. I think I know one of your guests! In the photos of your BM's walking down the aisle - male on the right, blue shirt, purple tie, initials MF?

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Looks like a perfect winter wedding ?

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's right. He's dating one of my friends.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics