Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

How Much Did You Tip Your Venue?

12 of May of 2012 at 11:28 Posted on Planning 0 46

Hi All,

I got married last week and on the info sheet, I tipped the box that I didn't want the venue to mention a tip on the day as I feel it should always be at the customers discretion (I always tip good food, service, hairdressing etc).

Not really sure how much I should be looking at though. The wedding was a great success and everyone has been talking about how fantasic it was and how great the venue is.

What did you all do re a tip for the venue? Even a 5% tip works out at over £750. Did you buy flowers/champagne for your wedding planner? (just the one at the venue - we didn't hire anyone)

Thanks in advance for your help.

46 replies

Latest activity by Nik_Nak, 13 of May of 2012 at 01:48
  • S
    Beginner July 2013
    swcbride ·
    • Hide content

Huh? I didn't even think about tipping the venue. I've not heard of this at all :/ Don't they get enough with everything else we pay for? Or is that just me being really cheap? Smiley laugh But seriously, I've not factored in any tips in our budgeting!

• stephanieeff
    Beginner July 2014
    stephanieeff ·
    • Hide content

I've never heard of tipping the venue, and if I'm honest I think it sounds ridiculous!

The place we are most likely booking for our reception requires us to spend £4000 minimum on food & drink, You'd think that + the business we'd bring in terms of the bar and guests staying at the hotel (which isn't exactly cheap, even with the discounted rate) You'd think the money you pay for the day would be enough!

As a thank you I will most likely send a Thank You card and possibly a box of baked goods for the staff but that's about it, and maybe a bottle of wine for the wedding organiser, but only if they've done a really good job, after all it is THEIR JOB, they do get paid at the end of the day. I'm all for honouring people going above and beyond for you but giving a mandatory tip seems cheeky!

• Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

Seriously? at nearly £50 a head just for food they can bugger off if they think they're getting a tip too

• Puddycat
    Beginner December 2012
    Puddycat ·
    • Hide content

Here here & well said stephanieeff ?

• smazzy_smoo
    Beginner June 2014
    smazzy_smoo ·
    • Hide content

True, but you'd probably find if you did give the venue a tip it wouldn't be shared with the staff!

• stephanieeff
    Beginner July 2014
    stephanieeff ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank You!

I think a lot of places that mention tips, honestly, are just trying to bully you out of more money. If you feel someone's done an exceptional job reward them in whatever way YOU deem fit. And if you do want to tip cash, try giving it straight to the waiting/bar staff etc, because that extra tip the venue mention will most likely not be seen by those guys, who do hard work for minimum wage, most likely.

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

I won't be tipping our venue. I will probably send a thank you card to our wedding coordinator but thats it! ?

• Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

I've never heard of it tbh, not that I plan a lot of weddings ?

The bar staff will get tips on the night I would have though, I've worked wedding bars and a lot of people will buy you drinks.

• Aurora Borealis
    Beginner June 2013
    Aurora Borealis ·
    • Hide content

I am paying my venue over £6000, for this I expect good service and I will not be giving a tip.

• L
    Beginner
    Louise_E ·
    • Hide content

What? No, there's no way I'd tip them. I'm paying a lot of money and expect a good service for what I've paid - no tip necessary. Not being stingy here, just can't see why a tip is needed.

• Kylie541
    Beginner February 2013
    Kylie541 ·
    • Hide content

No tip here! We have the hotel for two nights guarantees them £4,000.00! Plus 49.50 per head for food, people plus £15.00 per head drinks, plus what my guests will eat on the Friday night and what the bar will take on those two nights and a further £120 on extra guests at the taster evening and drinks we have paid for during the planning process......I hope they have the cheek to ask for a tip! I will send a nice card, tin of choccies and something for the wedding co-ordinary but they are making enough money from us!

• Kylie541
    Beginner February 2013
    Kylie541 ·
    • Hide content

Duplicate post

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

In what way would your venue 'mention a tip on the day'? I don't understand.

Anyway, I didn't tip my venue. I've never heard of this before.

• Nik_Nak
    Beginner September 2011
    Nik_Nak ·
    • Hide content

Ambs, I had the same venue as you and we didn't tip. Don't get me wrong, I'm no tight wad - I've been a waitress inbetween jobs and I know what it's like, and when I eat out, I always tip at least 10% BUT we didn't think it was right to then pay out another £500 - £1000 for an already expensive (sometimes over priced) day. The venue is out in the sticks and if the staff wanted a job that gave regular tips, they'd surely look for a job elsewhere, in a bustling bar, restaurant, in town somewhere? Anyway, that was our decision and I am sure some people would not agree.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

I've not even considered tipping the venue, I'll most likely leave a large box of choccies or something for the staff to share along with a Thank you card. As for the normal 10% they have no chance !

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

We didn't. We got the wedding co-ordinator a card and some champagne, and a big box of chocolates to share between the staff.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am paying for their service which includes bar staff wages and don't see the need to leave gifts or tips. If our guests wish to tip excellent service at the bar or waitresses etc then it is up to them. I might send the venue themselves one of our thank you postcards - if all goes well!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Why would you tip a venue? I tip people, not companies. Their reward for good service should be your gratitude and recommending them to other people, not extra cash.

We tipped the college porters about £30 and gave the events manager some flowers and a card.

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    Lauko ·
    • Hide content

No way! ive never heard of this and we will certainly not be paying a tip... We pay for a service and dont expect to have to pay anymore...

• L
    Beginner June 2012
    lannybird ·
    • Hide content

I didn't even think about this! I'll send my florist/MUA etc thank you cards, but the venue have had enough from us!

• *tinkerbell*
    Beginner March 2013
    *tinkerbell* ·
    • Hide content

I find it very unprofessional for a venue to be mentioning a tip in anyway .... i already find it rude when restuarants automatically add it on to your bill. It should be at your descretion wether you feel them worthy of it. I will in no way be tipping my venue as the price we are paying i feel is enough . However i will send a thank you card and perhaps a small gift to the co - ordinator . If after the day i feel she had done something that i deem to be ' beyond the call of duty' then i would perhaps give vouchers for a spa or a meal . I would never tip cash for this type of thing .

• Sparkly Bride
    Beginner August 2012
    Sparkly Bride ·
    • Hide content

I have never heard of tipping venue before. I wont be anyway I will skint by the end of it! I will be sending thankyou cards as others mentioned.

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

Have they not effectively worked it into their costs? i mean most places now include a 10% service charge for groups of six or more.

• tybalt
    Beginner April 2012
    tybalt ·
    • Hide content

I didn't. Don't see why you should have to given you're paying for a service. I didn't even send thank you cards to any of our suppliers, just thank you emails. Tips should not be expected and I think it's extremely cheeky of your venue to ask for one!!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

You must be joking! Why on earth would you tip the venue. Of course the wedding planner has been helpful- its there job to be!

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Anyone tpping their venue has more money than sense. This is just ridiculous and isn't even worthy on an explanation!

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Anyone tpping their venue has more money than sense. This is just ridiculous and isn't even worthy of an explanation!

• **Shelley**
    Beginner October 2012
    **Shelley** ·
    • Hide content

????? I nearly choked on a monkey nut when I read this!!! No way are we going to be tipping! We'll be forking out enough. I think a thank you card and a batch of my delicious cupcakes will be suffice.

• S
    Beginner July 2013
    swcbride ·
    • Hide content

I'm so glad that there are so many people who think tipping is not necessary. I was surprised when I first saw this post, and glad I'm not the only one who isn't even entertaining the thought of a tip!

• Dana_leigh
    Beginner August 2013
    Dana_leigh ·
    • Hide content

My OH works in a hotel and has never mentioned anything about tipping the venue....if people do it for their hotel my OH (Who is a manager) never see's any.

It is true that Hotel staff will be on a low wage though so some venues I suppose may expect it? I know my OH only just earns above min wage so god knows how the ones under him cope.

My Oh is always really greatful for tips so perhaps if you do want to give tips, save some change and give it to the staff helping you on the day/night....even a few quid makes such a difference to my OH (and me because I normally get a little treat )

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Very wise! I'd have been mortified if my venue mentioned tips to my guests!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

We have a service charge included in our quote that will be added to the final bill...i will also probably give out a few bottles of bubbly to the wedding coordinator(s) if they deserve it lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics