Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

How Much Did You Tip Your Venue?

12 of May of 2012 at 11:28

Posted on Planning 46

Hi All, I got married last week and on the info sheet, I tipped the box that I didn't want the venue to mention a tip on the day as I feel it should always be at the customers discretion (I always tip good food, service, hairdressing etc). Not really sure how much I should be looking at though. The...

Hi All,

I got married last week and on the info sheet, I tipped the box that I didn't want the venue to mention a tip on the day as I feel it should always be at the customers discretion (I always tip good food, service, hairdressing etc).

Not really sure how much I should be looking at though. The wedding was a great success and everyone has been talking about how fantasic it was and how great the venue is.

What did you all do re a tip for the venue? Even a 5% tip works out at over £750. Did you buy flowers/champagne for your wedding planner? (just the one at the venue - we didn't hire anyone)

Thanks in advance for your help.

46 replies

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Ahh, I see. Still, good choice.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

This is something that worrys me! as i did hear somewhere about a place adding a 'service charge' we just don't have it in the budget to give 10% again...i work as a waitress and we keep our tips and it makes a massive difference and i always find it amazing if people leave big tips but lets face it 10% of a few thousand is on a different level to restaurant tipping!! it's just silly!!

we have been looking at some restaurants (on an exclusive basis) for our reception and i keep wondering if they will try and add service! where i work tables over 6 have the service put on BUT if the customer doesn't want to pay it they don't have to (even though the total on the bill includes the service!!) so in this case i think i would just be embarassed but still say i didn't want to pay it!

i would consider giving a member (or two) of staff say £20-£50 on the night if i felt they had done an outstanding job but other than they i won't be tipping! tips should never be asked by a venue IMO, they are an incentive/thank you to the people who have served you well NOT a given!

if you ticked the 'i don't want to be approached' box then they should leave it now..if they do mention it again then i would just tell them you will see how the service goes on the night.

x

• Dana_leigh
    Beginner August 2013
    Dana_leigh ·
    • Hide content

Oh I wouldn't worry....I'm sure there may have been a few staff drinks added in lol. it wouldn't suprise me if a few drinks didn't go to your guests. (my OH wont allow us to put money behind the bar for this reason or have wine served by the staff as he recons each person gets less this way as glasses are kept topped up, meaning they use less bottles that you pay for)

• Nik_Nak
    Beginner September 2011
    Nik_Nak ·
    • Hide content

Ambs - the tip question got asked during our final planning meeting when we were going through the detailed schedule / run down of the day. We had the basic schedule emailed to us before our final meeting and we saw the question (can't remember the exact wording but it was something like) "If you would like to tip our staff, would you like us to ask you about it on the day? You can delegate this job to your best man and we recommend 5-10% of the total food / drink cost." The OH and I were like "WTF, we're already paying over the odds for drinks / corkage and each evening guest is costing an additional £5 cover charge to cover your staffing (apparently), which is a bit ridiculous because your drink prices should cover this (but we love the venue)...NO to the tip!!!" So when we had our final meeting and got asked by our planner, we said "No need to ask us on the day...we will consider it and cover it if necessary."

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics