Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Ducky*
Beginner July 2012

A step-by-step guide for DIY *crystalising* or *encrusting* your shoes...

*Ducky*, 23 of January of 2012 at 22:19 Posted on Planning 0 28

I know a few of you have already done this, but I have seen even more questions about how to do it over the last couple of months. So I thought I'd attempt a step-by-step guide. It worked for a previous pair I did for a friend. These shoes are for another friend, they aren't finished, but you'll get the idea!

You will need, tweezers, Gem-Tac glue or E6000 glue, non-hotfix flat back crystals. I have used resin ones from eBay (about £25 worth for both shoes, I can post the link if people would like it), if you're feeling flush you can use swarovski but they will set you back more than £100 to cover an entire shoe.

I have used three crystal sizes, 2mm, 3mm and 4mm (ss6, ss10 and ss16).

Step one:

Out line the area to be crystalised in the smallest of your crystals for a small area, or alternating one small followed by one medium gem for a larger area like the sides of the shoe. Squeeze a blob of glue onto a piece of scrap paper/card, and use your tweezers to dip the back of the crystal in the glue, the press onto the shoe.

Step 2:

Using the largest of your crystals, make a random polka dot pattern

Step 3:

Using the middle sized crystals, make a polka dot pattern in between the large crystals already on the shoe

Step 4:

Use your smallest crystals to fill in between all the other crystals

And ta da! A sparkly shoe:

I only did the toe tonight whilst watching rubbish TV (about an hour or so), I'll update when I've finished the rest of the shoe! I think it will take another 3 or 4 evenings though...

For the sides of the shoe, I outlined like above, then filled in from one corner working my way across the length of the shoe. I tried to use even amount of each size for a random effect. Here is the fully gemmed and now being pearled shoe:

28 replies

Latest activity by Peaseblossom, 24 of January of 2012 at 17:13
  • gemchoo
    Beginner May 2012
    gemchoo ·
    • Hide content

Very pretty and clever! sure this will be a great help x

• Peaseblossom
    Beginner March 2013
    Peaseblossom ·
    • Hide content

I just wanted to add that I used a gem picker rather than tweezers which is like a pencil but with wax instead of lead... I think it made it easier! I could be wrong tho.?

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have two of those, and maybe I was using them incorrectly, but the blob of wax was soooo massive, and my crystals so tiny, I couldn't get on with it. Or maybe I just got a duff gem picker...

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

Thankyou for doing this, could you put the link to the ones you use please? I'm thinking of doing it with the pearl ones.

• Peaseblossom
    Beginner March 2013
    Peaseblossom ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry, wasn't sure if this was aimed at me?

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry, anyone, where did you get your crystals from and roughly how many?

• Peaseblossom
    Beginner March 2013
    Peaseblossom ·
    • Hide content

Got crystals from eBay,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270779631934?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

This seller is really good! I got about 2000 in each size (2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm) and have heaps left over, tho I think I got more in the 2mm as they are good for filling in spaces.

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much for this! very useful! I have leopard print shoes and was thinking of crystalising one of the spots on each wedge heel - so a perfect guide for hoe to get a good effect. Thanks

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thankyou!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I think I used the same seller as Peaseblossom :-)

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

Thats very clever & very helpful of you Smiley smile

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, that's a great tutorial. I have a gem picker from pinflair and it's really good.

• D
    Beginner August 2013
    debs35 ·
    • Hide content

Wow! these look fab! im tempted to buy some shoes and do them for my own wedding!

Is there a material that works best that the gems stick to? or does it matter? Do you get the shoes from any supplier in particular?

Sorry re the questions!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

No particular type of shoes needed, this pair were £30 from Next. I would say the glue would adhere better to satin shoes as is has something to 'sink into' but I have seen it done on faux leather types of shoe too. I have only done it on satin shoes (only twice mind, I'm not quite an expert!) and they have stuck really well and so far lasted the wedding and for several further wears. So I'm confident dishing out that info!

Maybe someone else could confirm about crystallising leather-type shoes.
  • lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

I suddenly really want to crystaluse my shoe but its got a bow on the front & then the heel is only an inch so probably wouldnt look right Smiley sad

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You could crystalise the heels? That looks really cool, and takes just a fraction of the time than the whole shoe.

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

Do you think it would look ok?

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

This company have encrusted every style shoe imaginable!

https://www.facebook.com/theglassslippercompany

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd do the whole shoe and leave the bow as it is.

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

hmmmmm theres an option.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Oo yes they would look lovely!

This shoe I can currently crystalising, I am doing the entire shoe, apart from the bow too. It looks really nice with a bit of contrast.

• D
    Beginner August 2013
    debs35 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks sammiV!

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

any chanceof a flash.... i'm not sure im brave enough in case i ruin my shoes....but i want to be brave enough haha

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Those shoes do give a WOW factor.

I think they, and Christian Louboutin were what kicked this trend off. And then the minions like me realised if you have the patience of a saint, you can do it yourself and not pay the Glass slipper company £200 to do it for you, or Christaisn Louboutin £1000+. Maybe I should start charging my friends...

I do quite like the reaction of 'you stuck ALL of those gems on yourself?!' 'Are you mad?!' - probably, but there are soooo pretty!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Of course! I just need to finish them first... I'll give you a flash later this week.

This is what my friend has requested:

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

Oooh that does look nice....ooooooh i need to make my self brave!!!

• Peaseblossom
    Beginner March 2013
    Peaseblossom ·
    • Hide content

My shoes were suedette and worked fine!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Yes I can see suedette working nicely, it has a nice texture for the glue to stick to.

I think the only type that perhaps wouldn’t take so well, is patent, shiney leather/faux leather. They may lend themselves to easily pinging gems off as they are so smooth. But perhaps someone out there has added gems to these and it worked fine?!

So far we know suede, suedette and satin all work just dandy.

Your shoes look lovely Peaseblossom. They reminded my of the Wizard of Oz (Emerald City) then I remember Dorothy actually had ruby red shoes. Still gorgeous though!

• Peaseblossom
    Beginner March 2013
    Peaseblossom ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am doing red ones for my sister, well red gems on black shoes. The main part of the shoe is suedette but the heel and platform are patent so will let you know how I get on.?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics