Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sparkles82
Beginner April 2013

When to order dress? How soon is too soon??

Sparkles82, 6 of November of 2011 at 19:14 Posted on Planning 0 4

How soon did you order your dress? I went shopping yesterday for the first time, and found one I loved.... as soon as it was on, I felt like a princess and cried like a baby!!! But, we arent getting married till 2014, and last night 2 people both said to me that my taste and fashions will change loads in 3 years,so now I am unsure what to do. I am not ordering till at least Spring as I want to lose more weight by then.

4 replies

Latest activity by 50's pin up bride, 6 of November of 2011 at 20:40
  • Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

I would say that 2014 is quite a long time for you to wait if you purchase your dress now. I ordered mine in feb of this year for my June wedding next year. I normally would say as soon as you want would be ok. However 3 years is a while, and like your friends have said, your tastes may change. If I were you I would try on as many as you want too, so you can get an idea of what suits you. As you have said that you want to lose weight, why not enjoy trying them all on, then say end of next year go to look properly. Plus this way it means that you get the fun of trying soo many dresses and makes your experience last longer!!

Enjoy

x

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

I would hang fire until at least 1 yr before its very true your taste changes, i ordered mine in june just over a yr before and i have had major dress wobbles ever since, once that deposit is down your not always able to change your mind i went to try mine on again friday and fell in love all over again but still felt unhappy about me in it, i have several body issues that i need to address before the dress comes, if you want to lose weight etc the same dress may not look the same depends on how much obviously but then a different style or trend may come along and you could be stuck with a dress your not sure is 'the one' its great trying on dresses and lovely to see what you might look like but i personally wouldnt order that far in advance xx

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

I understand why you want to go and try on dress - it is exciting and after the initial 'buzz' of getting engaged if you decide to wait a while before getting married (as you have) things do go a bit quiet and it's tempting to try and get things going. That being said though, 3 years is a long time - even in 'wedding dress' terms (bridal fashion, although it does change, rarely changes particularly drastically over such a short period of time, unlike regular fashion). I am not planning on getting anything sorted until at the earliest Jan/Feb, and to be honest I'd prefer to wait until about 6 months before to finalise my dress choice.

That said, there's no harm in looking, but be careful you don't end up a bit wedding-ed out!

• luckylola
    Beginner September 2012
    luckylola ·
    • Hide content

I think you are doing the right thing, looking around early. gathering ideas and styles that you like.

I would suggest that you keep an open mind, your taste may change in the next few years.

I found looking in magazine was a huge help. I found which designers I did/didn't like. Tbh, not only has my taste in dresses changed since we started planning, but our venue and colour scheme has too!! ?

ETA- I would say about 1 year before would be a good time to buy.

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

As the most impatient person ever, I can totally understand you wanting to get going and trying dresses on!

I would say wait as well though. Although we only got engaged 3 months ago, we'd been discussing weddings and I'd had the odd browse online for ages before, and I can promise you that 2 years ago my dream wedding dress was strapless with a fully corsetted body, fairly full skirt but not OTT and full length but an inch or so off the floor, all in ivory with black accents (like black boning, black lacing, some black sparkly detail on the skirt).

My dream dress now - and the one I've just ordered and paid 50% of, with 8.5 months to go - is tea length, not a corset and has straps! It's totally not what I thought I'd ever go for, but it is totally 'the one'.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics