Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

NikiST
Beginner July 2011

Place name cards.... etiquette?

NikiST, 9 of June of 2011 at 11:13 Posted on Planning 0 16

We're only having first names on the place name cards, we're also using people's shortened names, names they are more commonly knows as like "Tony" instead of Antony.. etc. So with that in mind, what do I do with mine and OH's Mum?

Do I put their real names? Do I put "Mother of the Bride"? If I put MOB then will it not seem strange with my step-Dad not having FOB? It seems strange to me to put my Mums real name. I don't know what to do really.

16 replies

Latest activity by caweena, 9 of June of 2011 at 12:35
  • Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

We had our parents real names. We used nicknames where appropriate for our guest. Only Mr CB and I had anything near a 'formal title' and had Bride & Groom. That was only for a bit of fun though!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Although we don't have any complicated family structure, I too am torn on how to label parents' place settings. Boy wants "Mam/Dad" (his) and "Mum/Dad" (mine) but that doesn't distinguish Dads. The Mother-of-the-bride etc doesn't fit onto our tags very well, although I completely know this will be what pleases the Mums more (the Dads lass so?). And first names seems wrong, simply because it doesn't distinguish them from other guests. Will likely go with Mother-of-the-bride etc and shrink the font Smiley smile

What do you call your step-dad? Dad or his name?

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

We used people's names bar some on the top table: Bride, Groom and Mummy T for my Ma (she gave me away and did the speech).

ETA: if we put nicknames on place cards, we had their proper first and surname on the table plan to save confusion.

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

We had full names on the table plan as had a few David's and the likes, but used "known as" names (including nicknames) on the place cards. Where there were multimple David's on the table they had the first initial of their surname on too. TBH, it wouldn't have mattered too much, i'm sure they would have worked out which seat to sit on. And you're not gonna care on the day if they sit the wrong side.

As for parents - it was also known as names, so Mam / Dad for my parents and as he has step-parents it was Mum & Dad and then first names for the step parents as that's what he calls them (so Jane and Fred - he doesn't call them Step-Mum or Step-Dad). Again, Dad's could work out where they should sit and even if they somehow swapped over, it wouldn't have mattered to me.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

At a good friend's wedding, my name was shortened and my surname initial used. Really annoyed me! If she hadn't have shortened my first name, she wouldn't have needed my surname initial to differentiate me from some of the other guests there.

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

Dont know about etiquette but we'll be using full names for guests and for top table it'll be first names only. We'll be bride & groom.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I think we'll put first names. One of our ushers has the surname Harrison and he's always known as Harry - don't think he'd even recognise his place if we put his real first name down! I think it's all in keeping with the formality of the event. For parents, we'll just put their first names although we'll have trouble with FIL2B who is Anthony, although Tony in work/football/professional life and Anth to his family. I work with him, so never know what to call him!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

WSpanglesS about full names on the table plan.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We only have two people with the same name and one of those has a unique nickname so we will use that. Then it's first names all the way.

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

We did the same, even for our parents. Some nick names seemed a little inappropriate to put on tables though...

Pudding had special names though for our top table members...

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I call him Tony. Just seems weird though.... Mother of the Bride and Tony?? Hmmm

• Cheeky_pie
    Beginner August 2011
    Cheeky_pie ·
    • Hide content

For name cards we will just use peoples first names. For me and my OH we will use Mr and Mrs ...... As this will prob be the first time I see my new name wrote down on paper lol!! Its sad i know but i thought it would a bit special to see it at the table on the day.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

And there's no kind of nickname/affectionate diminutive that you use?

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

My wedding is very informal so I wont put full names on.. first names and names that they are known by. So Rob instead of Robert because we don't know him as Robert. Tony instead of Antony because we don't know him as Antony.. etc. I know my Mum as "Mum" and OH knows his Mum as "Mum" so it's confusing and doesn't fit.

Think I might just go for "Mother of the Bride" and I'll just have to hope it doesn't seem too odd to have just "Tony" sat next to her...! I know it'll please my Mum to be known as "Mother of the Bride" so I'm going to do that.

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No.. although I'm close to my Mum I'm not all that close to my step-Dad. My Mum and step-Dad married when I was 15 and at 16 I had moved out and become independent and hardly had contact with him. So tricky! Would be so much easier if mine and OH's parents were still married!

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content

I just put everyone's names, only shortened them if nobody calls them by their full names eg wee sister never gets called Fiona so hers said Fee instead... we didn't even do Bride and Groom cos I got a kick out of putting my new name on lol (yep, I'm so sad)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics