Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner May 2011

Need help with Toptable decorations

Desi, 2 of May of 2011 at 19:34 Posted on Planning 0 18

Hiya ladies....

Want to thank everyone for the advice and help this forum has given me....... I am here begging for more help.

After the shock of centerpiece prices, OH and I decided to make our own. ..... I am pretty happy with our creation and last week we finished painting them and will be dressing them in fake Ivy and candles to finish off.

My issue now is we can't use them on the top table as they are quite tall and I was told I can't have very tall items on the toptable because it would obstruct our guest view of us.....etc etc..

I got a quote from a florist to lay trailing ivy on the toptable with a few of flowers and was told £110!! Didn't know they were that expensive...... I am also told I am really paying for the florist time......

So now I've decided I would like something different on the toptable. I don't like the traditional toptable centerpiece arrangement as I they remind me of those things you place on top of a coffin....(macabre, I know but that's what goes through my mind everytime I see one!...... apologises if I have offended you, I know a lot of people like those.)

anyway I am open to creative ideas on what to do for the toptable...... even if I have to make it.

would you believe it, I was at the supermarket today, and started looking at the fruit and veg for inspiration!!....

Thank y'all in advance!!

18 replies

Latest activity by c-ross, 31 of May of 2011 at 12:36
  • Tracey86
    Beginner October 2012
    Tracey86 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

My first thoughts are you could swag the front of the table with Ivy (I'm pretty sure you can buy fake long swags of this- although can't think where I've seen it now... but I'm sure you'd get some), like this:

And then I know a lot of people have used these MR and MRS letters on their top tables, you can get them from ebay in plain MDF and paint them to tie in with your colours:

Then maybe you could scatter some loose ivy leaves along the front of the tables, put a couple of short vases at either end of the table for your bridesmaids to stand their bouquets in to finish it off nicely.

I don't know if this is any help or if I'm way of the mark but hope it's helpful.

PS- images pinched from google!

xxx

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

I am just putting the bouquets on the top table. But I like the MR AND MRS signs !

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

A Few ideas for you:

• E
    Beginner October 2011
    englishrosebride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

• E
    Beginner October 2011
    englishrosebride ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear that didn't work but what I was trying to say is that Hobbycraft have 3D cardboard letters on 3 for 2 at the moment. You can then paint them any colour you like. They're quite bulky so would stand up on their own too.

• CardiffInvitations
    CardiffInvitations ·
    • Hide content

Hi

At my brothers recent wedding, they put vases along the top table and then popped the bridesmaid bouquets in them. They looked really good

Anna

• excitedbee
    Beginner February 2011
    excitedbee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's exactly what we did.

• tmr1234
    Beginner June 2011
    tmr1234 ·
    • Hide content

We are having smaller topery (sp) trees at each end of the top table (having bigger 1s on the outher tables ) then i have a mr & mrs for the middle and a red swag

• F
    Beginner October 2011
    fatbride ·
    • Hide content

Im also having the Mr & Mrs sign in gold and on either side a small square vase with flowers in similar to my bouquet and the other tables are having a tall lily vase with purpl gerbera and bear grass.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

To make a garland properly, it's a timeconsuming job for a florist and takes hours of work which does count for the bulk of the cost just as a builder or plumber's work does. Do you have any ivy growing in your garden or know anyone who has some trailing down a wall or over a shed? If so, you could cut long strands of this off and tie them together with garden string or raffia. It won't give you the 'neatness' of a professional finish but will give a natural unstructured look. You can hide the joins with ribbon bows. If you decide to give this a go, make sure you soak the ivy for a good few hours in a bath of water before you start. This will condition it well so it doesn't droop and die on the day and also will help to get ride of dirt and creepy crawlies.

Another alternative, as already mentioned,would be an artificial garland but to get a realistic looking one, you will probably be looking at roughly half the price of a fresh one.

• massuch
    Beginner July 2011
    massuch ·
    • Hide content

I am having some of these lace jars that I'm making myself filled with waxflower and freesia, like so -

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

We've got a swag with LED lights in it which I've made to go along the front of the top table, one of our 'regular table centrepieces' at each end of the top table, and the bridal bouquet will be the centrepiece. I also have a fake autumnal leaf garland I got off of Ebay which will go along the top of the table at the centre, and that should really be enough.

We didn't want too much 'distraction' on the top table as surely the attention should be on the bride and groom?

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I bought 85ft of rose garlands off ebay from Malaysia to decorate windows and staircases and they look fab and really cheap. In fact they were so good I ordered more!! I have seen trailing Ivy on there too so worth a look. I quite like the idea of vases for the bouquets, at least you get your moneys worth out of them visually. The cardboard letters from Hobbycraft are good and stand up, but I haven't painted them yet to see finished product.

• vintageangel
    Beginner October 2011
    vintageangel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Could you give the ebay seller please?

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

The seller was fdghdn.

EDITED

Sorry just looked and the seller is owod09. 85ft garland 9.99 and 9.99 postage. Small flowers but you can double them up for depth

• D
    Beginner May 2011
    Desi ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

The creative juices are starting to flow........

So many great ideas. I am definately going for the mrs and mrs signs.....

The ivy garland is another good one, I have tons of it in the back garden but didn't know you needed to soak them in water..... great tip!

I like the bridesmaid bouquet in vases too but can't have that as they are wearing corsages........

• C
    Beginner
    c-ross ·
    • Hide content

I got mine from www.lovelettersdirect.weebly.com - wonderful personal service & a bargain!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics