Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner

What I wish I had said

ErIndoors, 18 of April of 2011 at 12:04 Posted on Just Married 0 45

To readers My apologies I know this is a long one, but I have kept it bottled up so long that it is now leaking over in to the rest of my life. I can’t explain the amount of heart break I feel over this. I feel like I sold my soul and now I am slowly burning myself down trying to pay the price. Everyone was somehow involved in the wedding so I don’t have anyone to talk to without upsetting someone... These are the things I wish I could have said

In laws

We are both not in to religion, and going to church for me was a big pile of guilt and hypocrisy. What you choose to believe is your business. But please don’t force it down my throat. Did you ask your son what he wanted? Did you know that he backed you over me on this and we rowed? He wanted to make you happy.

Then after all that you tell me you don’t really go to church that much, only Christmas and Easter. Did you know I wanted to do my own vows and choose modern music? Both were things to make the service personal to me and H, and were not allowed by the church.

The hymn you wanted - and the vicar suggested you have another, as it was not really appropriate for a wedding, you just couldn’t let it go you have to be right. You call the vicar to get your own way. Then later change the hymn anyway, until a week before the service, and you want to change it back.

I was not impressed that you spoke to the vicar and organist and tried to get our music changed. And, kept ‘suggesting’ other music to me. Then you keep pushing and pushing, nagging and nagging, I had no choice left but to snap at you. How dare you! It was a week to go, do you really think I need any more stress or change???

When we ask you for a guest list we really don’t expect you to tell us who really, really must come to our wedding, who must come all day, and at least give us the option of saying I don’t think so . Did you know that I had to double my side’s guest list to balance out the families? No course you didn’t, because you didn’t care. Remind me at what point you asked us what we wanted?

Inviting people just because they will give you a lift home, were your friends but H2B doesn’t know who they are, and adding guests at the last minute or filling any ‘drop out’ spaces with more of your guests is not acceptable, especially when it’s not your money, we don’t even know these people or if we do when was the last time we saw them?

Offering, or rather telling your son that that you would pay for my dress, yes, started off as a nice gesture. But then making me realise that I couldn’t say no, had to budget, and had to choose something you (who are much older than me) would approve of really didn’t help me. At all.

So when I found the budget dress shop, and my own mother was outside throwing up as she wasn’t well, talking me in to picking a dress on the day, in the first shop we had been too, really made me lose all hope that this was my wedding. Let alone anywhere near the idea I had in mind.

Yes I cried for three days after that, I had a dress that was too old and it wasn’t me, really, none of them were. I knew what I wanted, but I knew it wasn’t in that shop. Red, I wanted red. And comments about me being ‘a scarlet women, a harlot’ really were not helping, but yeah, thanks for that one! Yes I went back and changed the dress, but I was stuck wasn’t I, the shop had the deposit money and it was either pick another dress from here or lose the money, so that’s what I had to do.

You picking a dress that cost more than my whole outfit hurt, you weren’t budgeting on that one, and I bet you didn’t pay by cheque and hope you could get it in time for any alterations?

If you say you want to pay money towards the wedding then pay it, don’t argue the toss over how much we estimate things to cost. Don’t make us down grade our wedding because you think it’s too much.

Cutting out the canapés, good one. Did I not say over and over that the dinner was a late one and everyone would be hungry? I tried to compromise with you, and you suggest kitkats in a plastic bag to be given out in the car park. Nice. Then you have the cheek on the day to say ‘oh hungry ages till dinner’. And after the day to say we should have had canapés. Well der!!

And to keep me waiting for the money, when you got married you may well have paid for the flowers after the wedding day but that’s not how it works now.

I was embarrassed and annoyed that I had to keep going on about it, keep hinting that we need the money to confirm the bookings. You were all about cutting cost till it came to the things you thought were important, what about what we wanted and thought were important?

We didn’t want a master of ceremonies by the way, we had both agreed on that one, and then you book one any way. You didn’t even ask us you just did it.

Sulking to your husband, who then passed it on to my H2B – That you were upset that I had not said thanks for your buying my wedding dress, I did actually say thank you. But again you talked over me. And to be honest I wasn’t that thankful because I was cornered in to you buying it and me having that dress. Then on payment day when I can take the dress home, you pay by cheque meaning I can’t take the dress home, and you spend over 15 minutes in the shop mucking about with the debit card and sorting out payment showing your card, and then you are doing it by cheque. The shop manager was not impressed and neither was I. Funny that you didn’t mention any of that to your husband... Oh and by the way I had to go back to the shop to hire a petticoat , the manager remembered me straight away and I had to apologise on your behalf (not for the first time either).

How F’ing dare you sit at the top table and say to my fully grown, mother of two, sister ‘I hope you’re going to behave’. What right do you have!! Do you wonder why five minutes after you had been sitting there I suddenly demanded that the parents switch sides on the top table? I might have to put up with it and bite my tongue at your snide remarks and catty comments for the sake of H. But you can damn me to hell if I will let you do it to my family. You left me seething for the rest of my wedding day wondering what else you had the cheek to say out of my ear shot. I already had my worries about you and you go and prove me right. I am sick and tired of justifying myself, listening to you knock me, and apologising to other people because of you and things you say or do.

Parents

When I really have my heart set on something like a mini coronet crown for my head, telling me that if I dare turn up on the day with it you will stamp on it is not funny or nice. And if it’s my damn day why the hell can’t I have one! And telling everyone else this too, not good. So that’s a crown ruled out then...

Letting your mother invite people to the wedding not acceptable. I know she’s my gran but it’s not on, no matter how nice she puts it or the blackmail she uses. All it did was pass on more guilt to me and I again had to bend and do it. All this after I had very strong words with H about his side doing it, what a fool I looked.

I don’t particularly like large groups like this as it makes me nervous, nor do I like formal ‘sit stand jump through a hoop’ affairs. Someone telling me how to hold a bloody knife to cut cake. Or how I should stand hold H’s arm... and I don’t want to spend all night saying hi to people. I want to relax and actually get involved in a conversation. I didn’t even have time to speak to those I wanted to. There were people there who I never even remember having time to say hi to, my own close family and I never even saw them...

Did you not notice in the wedding dress shop when we went back and changed the dress that I was trying to put a bit of ‘me’ back in by wanting to add the diamante safety pin ‘rock chick’, which you said no to? Did this not tell you that it wasn’t right that ‘the dress’ wasn’t ‘me’? That I had settled, and wasn’t happy, again just making do?

Telling me ‘it’s what the family expect’ really doesn’t help, it’s not what I want or expect so why do I have to? Just because I am X’s daughter, that suddenly changes what I want in to what I must have? No pressure there then...

After us trying to explain how we felt about the wedding spiralling out of control on a couple of occasions, saying ‘well if he doesn’t go through with it your marrying the milkman’ was not helping, did you ever think what I was actually feeling at that point?

Candles on the tables, i said no, i said no for a reason. Yes there were two small fires on the night no one was hurt and it was only paper. But it was just another thing I let bug me but go ahead. Like the amount of stuff you kept buying and adding to go on the tables in secret. I had you and dad practically throwing money and things at me and the in-laws on the other side tut tutting at ‘wasting money’ and me stuck in the middle just keeping my mouth shut and my head down.

If I wanted my hair in soft glamorous waves don’t talk me out of it, I ended up looking like a bloody war bride the way my hair was done. Giving me changes to explain to the stylist on the day at the last minute went great, I felt like *** for the day with ratty ringlets and hate every photo of me. That hair is what I wake up looking like. This is pretty much why I have had it all hacked off from being half way down my back to just below my ears, in spite.

I liked my long hair, loved it, but it was just another reminder.

H

Telling me months later that I was wrong to put a deposit down on the venue before you had seen it, yeah I agree with you on this one I should not have done it. Hold my hands up in guilt. But by the way both your mum and my mum wanted it and let’s face it your mum would have talked you in to it had you not liked it any ways. You should have told me though, not let it slip out when you were drunk with your mates...

Would it kill you to grow a bit of backbone and not back down to your parents? It drives me mad that they can sway you so easily after we spent hours discussing and agreeing something we wanted. You don’t have to agree with them especially when it’s not what you want, you leave me fighting my corner and turn it in to a three on one battle. Then I have to back down what choice do I have?

Why were the suits changed, why did you end up with the trousers a different colour to the jackets? I know we had a discussion about you looking like a butler and yet you ended up changing to this option...

When I say to you six months in advance you need to save for this, here is a check list of stuff that will need to be sorted out. I expect you to do it, to follow through. You were the one who said yes, if it was a problem why didn’t you say anything. I love you, but you need to stop and look at what you were doing to me. You tell me you have no money for wedding things when you promised me, promised, that you would have your half. So I make up the difference with my money, and then off you go out with your mates. I had no money other than enough to get to work, and your off out. Worse than that, you actually borrowed money from me to keep going out. My mates have stopped asking me to go out now because I spent so long saying ‘no sorry cant’.

Thanks for the wedding necklace you totally forgot to buy me, remember you were going to get it for my 30th birthday and then didn’t? I must have looked so ungrateful when I opened the presents on the morning from my brother and sister and no gift from you. Ok so it’s a gift and I have no right to assume it will happen but you promised, and it was just another piece of my heart that was stolen away.

Bridesmaids

You choose the dresses, I warned you when I brought them that the wedding was after Christmas and you had to fit in them. I offered to get larger sizes and have them taken in nearer the time if needed. I even gave you emails saying how many weeks to go to give you a polite heads up without mentioning your weight. But no you both struggled to get in them; I had them altered with lace up backs for extra room, with the last of my money to look nice, so you would be comfortable in them. Then you still weren’t comfortable and covered them with bloody pashminas, in every photo, for the whole day...

All/me

Did I want a white dress, no, you knew, you all knew. I swore I would never have a white dress, what about me says white dress? I wanted red, you all knew I wanted red.

I had by the point of the shopping trip already realised that this day wasn’t about me. Because if it was, you would stop, just all stop, stop telling me.

The photos I wanted by the way if any of you are interested, were of my two baby nephews in their matching little wedding suits, backs of the bridesmaids with all the detailing showing, the groomsmen all showing their matching socks or cufflinks and fun ones of me and H. Never got any of these.

Yeah ok, so I wanted a couple of the wedding ‘normal’ ones but not all of them. Nor do I expect a professional to give in the final chosen photos pictures of my brother with his eyes closed, or the bridesmaid licking her lips, really these are my final choices, so the only photo of me with them has this flaw?? These are the ones I get to keep forever?

Do you know how many nights I sat there staring blankly in to space thinking what the hell have I unleashed. When I joked about us running away and eloping I wasn’t joking, I was testing the water, and I was already in too deep huh.

I guess no one noticed the pause when I said my vows to you. Not because I didn’t want to marry you. But because just for one second I wanted to stop and run away, I didn’t feel comfortable let alone a princess or anything like that.

I remember people keep asking me if I was excited in the run up to the day. And I never was, it was just a chore and job that had to be done. I never saw it as my day, you all said I organised everything, it was the only way I was coping to keep going just get on with it. Control what little I could and hopefully I would get through it.

I was lying through my teeth wasn’t I. Why did I never speak up, because somewhere along the way I just wanted to make everyone else happy, and in that I forgot about myself.

And me I put on weight I think, well I must have, because in every photo of me for the day I can see fat rolling out of the top of the dress. Bad hair, why oh why did I not look in a mirror before I left the house. So with the dress, the fat and the hair, dodgy shots and formal stance I hate the photos, no I don’t want to show them to people, no I don’t want them on my mantle. No I don’t want a reminder of that day. Yes they do make me feel physically sick and I hate them.

I feel like I am grieving for the day. I know it’s sad and stupid but I can’t help it. Yes I am crying most nights about it. When I don’t think about it I am fine, but you all insist on keep bringing it up. And every time I am trying to bite my lip and not let all this pent up emotion slide out.

Mostly I have so much rage and anger at myself, I hate myself for it, and that just adds to the guilt I already feel , all this money has been wasted. But worse than that, I feel like I can’t talk to any of you, which I can’t bear but it would upset you all. Again adding more guilt to me, I know what you are all saying that I am depressed & that I need a project.

Well no and no. I am not depressed; I am now just trying to get over what I have done to myself. Think about it I just spent a year of my life being stressed and pushed and pulled in to all the bits that had to be done and dealt with.

If I don’t get reminded about the wedding then I am ‘normal’ just living my life, I am getting on with stuff able to laugh and smile etc. Then along comes someone who says ‘oh, you got married how was it?’ and in seeps the rage.

Projects, well I have now decorate two rooms, taken on extra stuff at work, sorted out a years worth of paperwork and pretty much stopped myself from having a spare five minutes, which means I am now exhausted and still not really able to have time to process things. I feel like I am being a spoilt selfish bratty child. Which is why I am keeping all of this to myself, well trying to. I know some of you know bits and pieces and some of you nothing at all. That’s how I think it should be kept because what’s the point right, all I would do is piss everyone else off. What I should have done is stuck to my guns and been a bridezilla and fought for it while there was still time.

And to all of you who say it’s just one day. Really? It’s just a normal Saturday that happens to have cost more than the deposit I put down on my house, and spent a year of my life planning, negotiating and arguing over, and I have all these photos and mementos and reminders that I must keep of just one day...?

I’ll let you in to another little secret, what I really want to do to claw back what remains of the soul I sold for this wedding is to burn the photos, cards, dress and all the memories I have of the day and the run up to the day. To run away from anyone else asking me how was it and me slapping on my big fake smile and saying ‘yeah it was great’

To myself, you know you just need to get over it, and hopefully finally getting it all out and written down will allow you to let it go.

45 replies

Latest activity by zheshi, 3 of January of 2012 at 07:40
  • WhiteRose84
    Beginner
    WhiteRose84 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Erlndoors,

I've just read your post and I'm heartbroken for you ? I didn't want to read and run. I hope writing it all down has helped.

I hope that the feeling you have can be 'pushed' to one side and you can look forward and enjoy married life?

I'm not so good at giving advice, but if you need someone to talk to, you know where I am! xxx

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ditto, absolutely heartbreaking, I hope things get better for you and I'm here if you need to vent. ? xxx

• Mrs_T2B
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs_T2B ·
    • Hide content

I can't echo what Beckstar has said enough. It is so sad that you felt that way and evn worse that you went throught with a day that you clearly wasn't happy with just to make other people happy.

I hope the writing of it helped, maybe in the future, as suggested, you could renew your vows and do it all over but YOUR WAY! x

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

This is just so devastating to read, my heart really breaks for you, I hope you can manage to get over the anger and hurt you're feeling and that it doesn't continue to consume you whenever it's mentioned.

You've made me even more determined to have the wedding we want and not to give in to other people's demands.

Hope you can have a long and happy marriage and that writing it all down has lifted some of the weight off you

xxxx

• E
    Beginner
    ErIndoors ·
    • Hide content

Thank you to all for your kind words and support. Have to say I am still suffering and having problems... On reading back through what I had written I stand by it I did wonder if it would be a moments anger and I would change how I felt. I am starting to accept that that was it and I cant change it, at the same time I read through and see how many other things I forgot about. I am trying to be better for me, baby steps.

But again thank you to all

• N
    Beginner September 2011
    nobumbooby ·
    • Hide content

Hey there

I'm really sorry that the day wasn't what you wanted and that you felt railroaded into doing things in a way you wouldn't have chosen. All I can say is that you need to look on the bright side of all of this and strip everything right back down to basics- you are now married to someone I assume you love and you have made the decision to be together for the long haul and that's a great thing Some people never find someone who they feel sure enough about to marry. And the fact is, sometimes weddings don't go well- I have a friend who all but missed her wedding day as she (and 3 of her bridesmaids) had a vomiting bug. We all sat at the dinner hoping she'd make it down from her en suite before the day was over. Another friend had her wedding day during the recent floods in Morpeth and hardly any of the guests were able to get there. I'm not saying this to somehow trivialize your experience but to show you that at the end of the day, a wedding is just one day (ok I've said it!!!) out of your whole life with hubby. Don't let it spoil things. We all end up compromising in some way when it comes to weddings Smiley winking

Another thing I meant to say is that my friend who missed her wedding is planning on having a renewal of vows at some point soon and a little party with close friends. Maybe you could do something similar- doesn't have to cost a fortune and be a massive organisational task, just a few of the people who mean the most to you and a dress you feel nicer in.....

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

I feel awful for you, I truly hope you can put it aside at some point so these emotions don't colour the rest of your life...... but remember if and when you have children (if you want them) you are going to have to stick by your guns and defend your choices and decisions and make sure no one else imposes on you ever again in such a way that is so detrimental to you!

wishing you all the best for the future!

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

You poor poppet. What a horrible experience and I feel so sad that one of the best days you ever should have had was taken from you.

I hope you feel better for writing it down but I really believe you must get this out to the people around you and not let it consume you anymore. They should know they hurt you and attempt to make it up. I worry you will resent this all for a long time otherwise and it will give you a difficult start to married life.

You can renew your vows in the future, the way you want to when you feel ready. You maybe need to learn to stand up for yourself more and not let people bully you around.

I really hope you find some closure with this pain and disappointment x

• Frugal Splurger
    Beginner September 2011
    Frugal Splurger ·
    • Hide content

Oh my lordy, this is the most heartfelt thing I have read about someone's wedding. i really feel for you :-(

I think you should have a cheap, fun vow renewal, wehter you bugger off to Gretna Green, Vegas or wherever! Make it the wedding you should have had and put plenty of photos up around your home xxx

• L
    Beginner October 2012
    listenwong ·
    • Hide content

This site may help you: www.weddingdress.com.ph

To Buy Amazing Cheap Designer Shoes & bags, click www.oppell.com

• ScillyB2B
    Beginner June 2012
    ScillyB2B ·
    • Hide content

Oh gosh my heart goes out to you, I really couldn't read and run. How much of this does your husband know? I think you can move on with feeling this way towards your parents and in-laws but it must be eating you up keeping so much from your husband and seeing him everyday. Does he not know you cry so often about this? I definately echo the suggestion of a renewal of vows YOUR WAY, but also feel you need to get this out, to him at least.

I hope your marriage is going well, such a shame it started in that way, but it was only the start and I hope the rest of your lives can be left to run how you want.

Huge hugs xxx

• gsijane
    Beginner September 2011
    gsijane ·
    • Hide content

Hi sorry i couldn't just read and run. I really hope that for you writing this all down has helped you get through this. Have you spoken to your husband, i think he needs to hear these things.I think you should pick out a few points, especially the dress and go and get your vows renewed in a gorgeous RED dress!

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Didnt want to read and run. big hugs to you. xxxx

• P
    PeruvianAide ·
    • Hide content

Oh my, I'm so very sorry; to have your day stolen like that is so dreadful, I cried for you & your pain & anger ☹️

I agree with others about you maybe having a smaller-scale do with just those YOU want there. Try to explain to your husband how you felt it wasn't your day to be a princess; & it SHOULD have been! Isn't that how we all want to feel on this most special day of all days? I know I did..

Maybe worth thinking about having some counselling, as it's still, understandably, upsetting you so much. It may ultimately, help you to move on from it, which you'll need to do before it makes you seriously depressed & jeopardises your marriage, which would be best avoided! I'd even suggest some assertiveness training or book that you can read at your own pace - I needed this sort of help following an abusive marriage, and I'm VERY glad I did now..

I married a wonderful man 9 years ago, & wore white to please everyone else, especially him, but didn't really mind too much... Then, 5 years later we had a Blessing, & I wore deep, shimmering RED, & I loved it! H was thrilled too, & now I wear it whenever there's a special occasion! And I felt absolutely wonderful ?

(((HUG)))

• P
    PeruvianAide ·
    • Hide content

Think my reply may be in the wrong place, sorry..

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

I really dont know what to say, how terrible that you went through all this with no one on your side, i really hope that venting it has helped you in some way and that you find a way through how you are feeling x

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

That's some pouring out. I'm not quite sure what to say.

They say that weddings bring out the worst in most people and it seems that you encountered more than your fair share.

• B
    Beginner October 2011
    Bumblebee Bridal ·
    • Hide content

You poor thing!! This sounds too nightmareish to be true!! It's like everyones worst wedding fears & you lived every one of them.

I really hope you can get past this though & move on. I hope writing this helped. You really need to speak to H & tell him how you feel or it could come between you. Perhaps you can renew your vows & do it YOUR way how you wanted it! You sound like a bit of a rock chick so get them all back by makign them dress up in something they will all hate but you love Smiley smile!

Or run away to vegas for the weekend & do it again. So that's it's just yours & H's. Claw back some of you!

One of my biggest fears for my wedding day is that the day was taken away from us. That that moment wasn't our special moment together. So i know how you must feel!

So to help heel you maybe do something like that so you can eventually put this behind you! But definitely speak to your Mr & tell him how you feel!

I hope you are ok

Michelle

• M
    Beginner November 2011
    mrsdoubtfire ·
    • Hide content

I feel for you. Its obviously affected you a great deal. You must try to look at the positive side, At least you have a husband you love and it wasnt a total disaster. I think as much as we like to beleive people think about other peoples feelings esp when its there big day, Unfortuately most of the people that anoyed you will be totally oblivious how they made you feel unless you tell them.

The way you wrote the post makes me feel like you tried to tell people how you want it but wasnt forceful enough or couldnt be bothered with the hassle what ever the case may be. But once you let people treat you like that then they will push it further and take advantage. Maybe something that can come out of this is to be strong and tell people straight in future so you can live with no regrets.

I think you will have to try to draw a line under this somehow and move on or you will resent everything about your marriage and your husband will suffer. The people around you certainly wont be losing any sleep.

It must have been devastating for you I certainly wouldnt want to be in your position, but you cant dwell on it. I think you should maybe delete your post (or not keep reading it) and try to forget everything but the good memories of the day. Then maybe one day you can look back at the day and think of something nice about it.

Ill also echo defanately renew the way you want asap and tell your husband how you feel.

• B
    Beginner September 2013
    beckymartin90 ·
    • Hide content

No wonder you're grieving for that day - it sounds awful. Kit kats in the car park - classy! I suggest an intimate trip to Vegas in a scarlett dress with your hubby to remember a good day Smiley smile

• D
    Beginner May 2011
    Desi ·
    • Hide content

Hello

This is absolutely heartbreaking....... I really am sorry that you experienced this. There are a lot of people who don't get what they want on their day and in the end, they end up imposing it on their children, sisters, friends, etc etc...... It sounds like that is what has happened here. I hope you don't dwell on this so much that you allow it to dictate your life or worse, do the same to your future children. I hope that you can build on this, to use it as lesson learnt to be MORE of you.

I'd recommend as others here have said, to show this note to your husband, it's more powerful than you might realise. You could start with placing it somewhere he would 'accidentally' come across it ....... so he has time to digest the impact of what happened... Then the two of you must discuss the way forward together. He probably felt just as railroaded as you but thinks you were okay with stuff.

Hopefully, you will both chose to have a vows renewal........ a second wedding..... on your 1yr's anniversary (or earlier)..... just the way you want..... burn the other pics and memories....... get some new pics for this day and THIS should be the day you remember. It doesn't sound like you wanted a huge expensive thing anyway...... so more do-able.

((HUGS))

• W
    Winterly ·
    • Hide content

Hello, your picture is so nice.?

• C
    Beginner January 2011
    callway ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful? I didn't see!!!!!

• A
    Beginner April 2011
    Angelgirlie ·
    • Hide content

This made me want to sry for you and everything you went through.

I am so sorry that your day wasn't yours. I was lucky and looking backnow the few things I did get stressed and angry about were really nothing now I've read your post.

I really do think you need to talk to your husband about this print off the post and show him. I dont want to make things worse but my sister married a man who was lovely but he never once stood up to his parents over anything, the little silly things or the huge life decisions (not talking about weddings now) and unfortunately 11 years of this got too much for my sister. Constantly being pot down having her ideas, opinions feelings just shoved to one side. She became very ill and eventually they split up. now a man who i thought of as my brother is someone I can not even stand to see and his fdamily to be honest we all hate them. Its a terrible thing to happen to two people who were in love.

Talk to your husband let hinm know your feelings the only way to move on is to open up completely and talk it through.

GHood luck and I wish you everything you dream of x

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Aww dear how awful, you have really helped put things into perspective for me. I am very angry wtih my mum at the moment over some demands she's trying to make and I am doing my best to be forceful back, but it has cast a wee bit of a shadow over things at the moment, its not even anything major (just the guest list and more specifically my H2B's friends baby getting to come)

I agree with what almost everyone here has said, do a blessing and wear a stunning red ball gown. (Im not being funny but you will get one custom made for you the exact way you want it for much cheapness from hong kong etc on ebay or some such place and I've heard brill reports back from many many people)

• Isabella 1988
    Beginner November 2011
    Isabella 1988 ·
    • Hide content

It's a long and sad story, do you feel better now?

I don't know what to say, but just believe you deserve happy and good luck!

Cheer up!

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

My friend told me to read this last night - so I just did and I feel like crying for you. As a newlywed I had one issue that arose on my wedding day that I still think about and it upsets me I cant begin to imagine how you are feeling but worse how you are coping. I dont think there are any words that could make you feel better, but I hope by writting it down it gave you some comfort. I hope in time you can put this behind you and maybe in the years to come you could reknew your vows, tie it in with a holiday get the dress you always wanted have your hair done how you want it and stick your fingers up to everyone who stopped you from having the day that you wanted. xxx

• brenda.hu
    Beginner June 2012
    brenda.hu ·
    • Hide content

Seems like you experienced a long terrible journey,everything will be fine,you could over it.

• E
    Beginner
    ErIndoors ·
    • Hide content

Firstly thank you to everyone who took time to read my post. And your lovely words of support

Its now coming up to six months after the event and mostly I just refuse to talk about it or even acknowledge that it even happened.

I have been told by H/in laws/parents that i should take anti depressants. Which for a while i did, but they were not really helping as i was not depressed in general but, I dunno how to put it angry/depressed/annoyed/upset etc etc over this one thing. I still am not over it and it still affects me. Now i just hide it better and wait till i get home or to a locked room so i can have a good cry in private... I couldnt even watch the rerun of the weddings on Friends without grinding my teeth and holding back tears.

Most annoying things for me i guess - The whispering, like i know that H has been discussing 'my moods' with in laws as they have mentioned things they should not know about as they happened or were said in private. and also the lies that have come out after, that people say 'but i didnt do that' as if i was not there and witness to it. Also that 'my moods' have been used as an explaination for other peoples rudeness. That if someone shouts at me (for no reason) and i walk off away from the situation, that it is me in the wrong because i am over sensitve and a bit funny in the head... lets just say a lot of Sh*t has come out of the woodwork since the wedding day

I admit wholeheartly that i have lost a lot of the person i used to be, and have become some what of a shadow. I am now working hard to rebuild me and make sure i am strong enough to say no without justification, and to stop automatically apologising when i have not done anything.

in regards to re-newing my vows i am no where near ready for that, I still feel sick at the thought of it, or weddings in general. I am just working towards being strong and ready for our anniversary.

Again thank you to everyone for reading and putting up with me.

To all those Brides-To-Be : your wedding is supposed to be the best day of your new life, a platform to launch you and husband as a couple, make sure you are happy with it and the reflection it is of you.

XXXXXXXXX

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Aww hun, I know how u feel when you talk about people saying they didn't say things when you know they did. This happens to me a lot. Way worse when I was younger. In fact what happened was (and this was years ago when me and my H2B were just best friends instead of partners) I ended up getting referred by the doctor to a therapist, the pills were just doing nothing. I had a few issues that were building up and refusing to go away and the therapist did CBT with me (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) It was amazing the way my outlook on things changed. Basically they teach you to look at things from all ways instead of from the same jaded way you have come to know and expect things to be. Its retraining the brain really actually (and now i'm having my own mother issues with my own wedding I am starting to feel I need a refresher course!) One thing that made me quite angry though was when the therapist showed me how I was twisting things slightly in my head always making it worse than it was- nobody wants to think that of themselves, I don't even now want to believe it and believe me when I say I certainly don't want to accuse you of doing it! I am not saying this is for you or anything, just explaining what happened to me when I felt like that. The worst of it is, when I look back on it now, I can see they were right and that hurts more than anything. That therapy taught me to pick out what in life I was unhappy with and told me how to deal with it - one thing at a time. Its unbelieveable but within the 8 weeks of that therapy I had a new job and had convinced my H2B that he was being silly to be so scared of getting in a relationship and that he should just bite the bullet.

As I say, this may not help or apply to you but hope u don't mind me getting my own wee story out in your thread.

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

Reading this broke my heart for you. Your wedding should have been the best day of your life and you should be living with amazing memories, not this anger and hurt. I'm gutted for you that you didn't get the day you had dreamed of and it's appalling that those closest to you, who should have your happiness at heart, were the cause.

I hope that writing everything down is a step closer to you healing and being able to put it behind you. Ignore the people telling you to get medicine, given what you have been through I think your reaction is only natural. If *you* feel you need more help, then you can make the choice to see a professional who will be appropriately qualified to advise on what help would be best for you. I don't think your family have any right to be the ones to 'diagnose' you.

It may take time but the memories will fade. Take one day at a time, have fun and create new memories of lovely things to squeeze out the bad ones.

*big hugs*

• B
    Beginner
    bellabride123 ·
    • Hide content

I feel so bad for you.

I wanted to get married in red too but was worried about what everyone would say so I didn't and I also did do a lot of things to please other people.

I made sure that there were times when I did the opposite to what people wanted or expected from me on the day though to show a bit of rebellion! Smiley smile

You should probably renew your wedding vows in the red dress you wanted. Don't tell anyone about it and just organise it with a few select group of friends who you know won't try and interfere, or just organise it so it's just you and your hubby without anyone else there.

You could write your own renewal vows, play the music you want, wear the dress you want, etc. It doesn't have to be an expensive dress or venue. Maybe a good idea would be to have a renewal on your wedding anniversary if poss so your "day" is made special again and something you will want to celebrate in the future.

It is ok to feel sad for a while, - you are grieving for the day you wanted but never had.

Maybe writing it all down and getting feedback will help you in some way.

Good luck with your future.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics