Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner October 2010

Unique Bridal - Wimbledon - Anyone else ordered a dress through them?

KAJ2B, 26 of July of 2010 at 16:05 Posted on Planning 0 5

I ordered and paid in full for my wedding dress from Unique Bridal in Wimbledon (in Elys department store) back in December 2009. I'm getting married in 10 weeks time and despite initially being told that my dress would be delivered in May, it still hadn't arrived. In May, I was told that it would arrive before the end of July.

Last week, when no-one was answering the phone at Unique, I was beginning to get concerned. It turns out that Unique have 'ceased trading' from the beginning of July but they are relocating to a new shop in Wimbledon. Well - that shop doesn't exist and I still can't get hold of anyone there.

Elys have been great - they have a duty manager dedicated to dealing with this issue and they will do what they can. As I have a little time, I decided to take the full refund Elys offered (rather than asking them to deal with the manufacturer on my behalf to chase up the dress in the hope that it will arrive in time). Some people may not be so lucky or have as much time.

I phoned Love me do Bridal in Walton on Thames as they stock the same dress and they couldn't have been more helpful. They were able to see me without an appointment and Sharon and Emma were just fantastic. They were calm and have placed a new order for me - fingers crossed they can organise an express make/delivery and that my dress arrives in time to be fitted!!

I'm sure that other people will have the same problem as I've had with Unique - I just want to let people know that if they have ordered a dress from Unique, they should try and contact them ASAP.

Good luck everyone

5 replies

Latest activity by g3rmany, 12 of August of 2010 at 10:59
  • KEBO Jewellery
    KEBO Jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I live not too far from Wimbledon, Sutton to be precise!! I can't believe they are gone, I am sure that is one of the places I went to try on dresses. I understand stores going out of business but the owners should take the responsibility to ring everyone who has placed an order to get it sorted. Do they not realise that B2B are relying on them to buy in their dress for their big day.

So glad you are getting it sorted, I have also heard good things from Love Me Do. I have my fingers crossed for you. It sounds like the Love Me Do ladies are doing all that they can to help you.

• missmidwife
    Beginner January 2011
    missmidwife ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

Im actually not surprised they went out of business. The woman tat owned it was soooooooooo pushy she was awful. Even if I had found my dream dress I wouldve tracked down somewhere else that stocked it. First question she ask my mum was what was the budget! when my mum said it didnt matter we'd by the right dress she said 'oooooo plenty budget!' couldnt get out there quick enough.

Ive ordered mine from All that glitters in wimbledon, vicky there is fantastic nothing is too much trouble and she gave me massive discounts on my bridesmaid dresses as we ordered them there as well.

x

• KEBO Jewellery
    KEBO Jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Is All That Glitters the one opposite Morrisons that you aren't allowed to go in unless you have an appointment? They have some lovely dresses in there!

• missmidwife
    Beginner January 2011
    missmidwife ·
    • Hide content

No not sure what that one is called. They lock the door and dont let you in without an appointment. lol

All that glitters is on hartfield road, near the white hart pub and the tram stop. They have one in croydon and guildford as well.

x

• KEBO Jewellery
    KEBO Jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Ah yes, I think I know it!

• G
    g3rmany ·
    • Hide content

My sister ordered her dress in December 09 too, and the awful woman there forced her into overpaying the deposit 'to balance her books' - she was told it would be ready in the April, when she went she got the impression the dress hadn't been ordered and was re-measured and told to come back in June. In June she was told July and in July told 'probably' August - her wedding is September! I had the same issues getting through, basically the woman has a new shop opening in September (so she will still be trading, beware all you bride to be's out there!) but the dept in Elys has been closed and is being run from a changing room in the womens dept. The assistant is useless and fobbed us off with lies for a week which she later admitted she had made up. I finally found the manager and she tried to blame my sister for ignoring her calls from Dec to April to come in to be measured (despite having already been measured at the time). The dress did finally arrive last week and she took £50 off it, but given the measurements were 'so the dress could be fitted for her' she has now got to pay out £300 for the alterations where the dress is an off the peg one. The dress isn't sold anywhere else in the UK and was pretty expensive so my sister had to stick with her this late in the day, but it seems like a lot of people are having these problems with her company so if you are thinking of buying your dress there DON'T DO IT!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics