Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner August 2010

Do all wedding Dresses come up small

esser1, 22 of November of 2009 at 13:28 Posted on Planning 0 12

Do all wedding Dresses come up small? Im a size 18-20 but the dress is a size 22 that i have ordered does that seem normal? I know it can also be altered two sizes smaller if i loose weight it just seems weird. Not that bothered - just wanted to know if its normal.

12 replies

Latest activity by Paris09, 22 of November of 2009 at 18:05
  • H
    Beginner June 2010
    hkj ·
    • Hide content

I am in a similar position to you. I have been desperately dieting to get from a size 20-22 to a size 16-18 and was a bit gutted when the ladies in the shop told me i should order a size 20. But i have heard it said plenty of times that the dress sizes do come up small, guess it depends on the designer.

I wouldnt worry about it though, it is the fit on the day that counts.

• The BFG
    Beginner August 2010
    The BFG ·
    • Hide content

This does seem to be the way things go for dress sizing, although im still at a loss as to why????? its like you can be one size in one shop and another size somewhere else, surely if you are a size 10 18 or 26 it shouldnt matter where you shop weather its jeans or a wedding dress that is your size!!! i also think it seems particularly cruel to 'downsize' wedding dresses as most of us would like to lose a little before the day and if we have tried our hardest and then still come out a size larger than our usual dress it can be quite disheartening!!! x

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

It does seem to be the norm although my dress was a size 14 and I'm a 10 up top and 12 below and I needed it taken in a good bit. Mine is a Ronald Joyce.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I left my bridal shop nearly in tears as I was a comfortable size 10 then and needed a size 14 dress. They said my hips needed the bigger size but that doesn't make sense because my hips are the smallest part of me and all normal clothes are too baggy over my hips and bum.

I know what Kerri is saying is true that is doesn't matter what size the labels says but it's so disheartening that when you want to look your best you are left feeling fat and huge because of the label.

x

• Broody_wife
    Beginner
    Broody_wife ·
    • Hide content

Oh no, I'll never find a wedding dress then. If I see a top that I love and my size is too small. I REFUSE to buy it a size bigger. lol I know all high street store sizes are difference but it's the principle. lol

TBH - I probably won't be that bad with my wedding dress(i hope) as long as I feel and Look like a princess I'll be happy!! xx

• Blackkat
    Beginner July 2008
    Blackkat ·
    • Hide content

I'm a 10 on top and 12- 14 on bottoms depending on how fitted they are so the bridal shop recommended a 14. They measured me & that was the best fit. I was happy with this as I tried a sample that was a 12 of my dress and it didn't fit over my hips! I'd rather it fit there & have to be taken in on top because I know however much weight I lose it won't effect my hips very much at all

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

Mine came up a size smaller than i usually wear, i guess i'm the odd one out. I made sure they checked the measurements over and over and i got measured by 2 different women as I wasn't convinced! Make me Smiley smile though!

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content

Yes they do come up small - one thing to learn (especially for bigger girls) before you start trying dresses on - all wedding dress designers are EVIL.

actually, wStarstruckS.

(i am a sz 18, dress was a 22, i just cut the label out!)

• Broody_wife
    Beginner
    Broody_wife ·
    • Hide content

Haha i may have to do that depending what size i end up needing!! lol

L xx

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

Mrs Spink it's not just you! I was wearing a high street 20 when I got my dress (lost a stone since then) and the shop sample was an 18 and that fitted! However my dress has an a line skirt and my hips aren't particularly big plus it's also got a corset back - so there's probably a fair amount of leeway depending on the style?

• jen52637
    Beginner
    jen52637 ·
    • Hide content

Mine was exactly the same size as I wear on the high street! The woman did want to order me a size larger than that, though. She was speaking to one of her colleagues right in front of me and said 'I'd order her a size up. Her hips are only 0.5 inches smaller than the size, she might split the seams'! Made me [:'(]

• P
    Beginner August 2010
    Paris09 ·
    • Hide content

Hi All,

The sizes of the wedding dresses are odd. I'm usually a size 10 dress but have tried a number on over the weekend and an 8, a 10 and a 12 all fitted in the same way - all though were by different designers which shows that they do cut their dresses differently as they were all very similar in shape! I went into one shop and there was actually a sign on the wall saying that you should pick a dress a size above your normal dress size as they come up small, so don't be disheartened, just go with what fits best, no one will know what size the label says - especially if you cut it out! ;-)

xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics