Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*ginni of the lamp*

Do beaded door curtains keep out/discourage flies?

*ginni of the lamp*, 30 of May of 2009 at 17:12 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 11

If not, what are they for? On outer doors, that is.

11 replies

Latest activity by SunnyYellowCars83937, 24 of June of 2018 at 19:11
  • H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content

Yes, that's the point. Or those strips of coloured plastic ones like my nan had across her pantry, as it were

L
    xx

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

My mum and dad used to have one in the 70s. As far as I remember they didn't really work! Although I used to plait them, so that probably didn't help!

• *ginni of the lamp*
    *ginni of the lamp* ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Lois. I think I could probably just about cope with a beaded one (though not one with a pattern) but probably not with the strips of plastic. We're about to move house and the back door opens up from the kitchen, so I want a way to have the door open in the summer without making it open house for the neighbourhood flies ?.

AliLindsey, I'm pretty sure I've done the same - I'll have to try and resist the temptation!

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure if you can get them in the UK, but here we can buy window stickers, usually flowers or butterflies, that attract flies, and then have poison in them which kills the flys (but they aren't sticky like fly paper). You put them up in the top corners of the window, and they don't look too hideous, and they really work. it does mean you end up with a mountain of little fly corpses (or you would if you didn't pick them up).

We have a big sliding door from our kitchen out onto the balcony, and it is pretty much open all summer, and we don't have much of a fly problem at all when we use the stickers.

• Taffie
    Beginner July 2007
    Taffie ·
    • Hide content

My MIL has this sort of thing, in 5 or 6 strips: http://www.flyscreenqueen.co.uk/Heavy%20Duty%20Panel%20Doors.html

• C
    Beginner January 2012
    carolinabena ·
    • Hide content

Flowery i've bought those in the UK, perhaps from lakeland? or a garden centre, with sunflowers on them.

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

These are the ones we have, from Raid.

• *ginni of the lamp*
    *ginni of the lamp* ·
    • Hide content

Flowery, I've got a couple of those on my windows, but I still get loads of flies in. I'll probably get a couple anyway - they're all weapons in the war ?

• Katchoo
    Katchoo ·
    • Hide content

How about something like this instead - http://www.habitat.co.uk/fcp/product/browse/Curtain-panel/988020

We have these at our french doors and we don't get a single fly in.

• E
    ExpensiveBlueConfetti54124 ·
    • Hide content

Fast and Easy The order was perfect in every detail. orthofeet had no way of knowing that I have used a heel support or Viconic shoes for years, so all of the instructions were really nice but I didn't need them I was looking for comfy slippers not slip ons with no back and I found them. Will be buying from these folks again. I'll be happy. I've ordered three pairs already from other dealers and had to send them back because they didn't fit my feet

• E
    South West London
    EntertainersWorldwide ·
    • Hide content

Try to get hold of the material used for mosquito nets and fit into doorway - allows the breeze but keeps ALL the pesky buzzy things out

• S
    SunnyYellowCars83937 ·
    • Hide content

Just arm the kids with badminton racquets and watch them swat the pesky blighters ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics