Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner May 2017

Witnesses needed for semi-secret wedding (Newcastle)

HappyGoldCars770, 18 of March of 2017 at 14:46 Posted on Planning 0 6

My partner and I are getting married on 6th May at Newcastle registry office, and we intend it to be a private ceremony without any guests, but we also need 2 witnesses. The registry office aren't able to provide anyone to act as witnesses. Can anyone who has been in a similar situation tell me what they did? I've read various stories of people getting witnesses by asking around beforehand or asking random passers-by, but we're only going up to Newcastle the night before the ceremony and I'm not sure how many random passers-by there'll be outside the Civic Centre at 9am on a Saturday morning!

Has anyone got any bright ideas for what to do about witnesses that won't involve leaving it until the last minute? Getting myself ready and to the registry office for 9am is going to be enough of a challenge...it's lucky I'm a low maintenance kind of person :-)

6 replies

Latest activity by HappyGoldCars770, 21 of March of 2017 at 20:32
  • Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

Hi, your the second hitcher this year that I've seen eloping to Newcastle Smiley smile I know there are a couple of Newcastle based ladies on here, they may be able to help. Or you could look at joining a Newcastle facebook group or something to try and recruit a couple of voulenteers!

Good luck xx

• BrideintheToon
    Beginner September 2017
    BrideintheToon ·
    • Hide content

Hello, indeed you are the second eloper to Newcastle in quite a short space of time! Is there anything in particular which attracted you to Newcastle, just out of interest?

I live nearby and am free on that date so I'd be happy to help, and I could see if my fiancé is up for coming too so then you'd have two witnesses.

• H
    Beginner May 2017
    HappyGoldCars770 ·
    • Hide content

I saw the previous thread about a wedding in Newcastle, in fact that's what got me to this board in the first place! We chose Newcastle for a combination of reasons - firstly, I was born there, but moved away when I was 7, and it still holds a special place in my heart. When I was a kid I was obsessed with the statues/sculptures outside the Civic Centre, not sure why! Secondly, we're on a very tight timescale as we're moving abroad in a few months and have only just decided to get married before we go, so we had to find somewhere that could fit us in on a Saturday within the time we needed, and we wanted it to be somewhere we had a connection with. Newcastle fit those criteria, plus the clincher was that we're spending our wedding night at Lumley Castle which will be fabulous!

• H
    Beginner May 2017
    HappyGoldCars770 ·
    • Hide content

BrideintheToon, you're very kind! I'm waiting to hear back from a friend of a colleague in Newcastle who might be able to witness for us, but if that doesn't work out then your generous offer might be just what we need! I'll keep you posted, thank you.

• BrideintheToon
    Beginner September 2017
    BrideintheToon ·
    • Hide content

OK cool, just give a shout if you need me - I check the forum regularly. You shan't end up witnessless Smiley smile

• Annelie @ Annelie Eddy Photography
    Annelie @ Annelie Eddy Photography ·
    • Hide content

My husband and I eloped and got married in Fort William in Scotland, just the two of us.

We hired a photographer for an hour to capture the ceremony so we had some pictures to show to friends and family. He also acted as our witness. The other witness was an off-duty registrar. But he might have been able to bring an assistant along if the registry office wouldn't have been able to provide someone.

It sounds like you will be sorted for witnesses @happygoldcars770 but just in case things don't work out, hiring a photographer could be an option. And you get the added bonus of having some photographs to relive the memories. :-)

• H
    Beginner May 2017
    HappyGoldCars770 ·
    • Hide content

I was pondering whether to look into whether we could get a photographer for a short time, I wasn't sure if that'd be possible on a Saturday as they'll probably all have full day weddings to do. It's a possibility, I'd like to have some nice photos but we also both hate having our photo taken and we have a horror of being marched around and made to stand there for loads of posed photos, so i don't know if we'll end up doing that!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics