Wedding dress shopping??

RomanticGoldFlowers498
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Posted: 17 Mar 2017 9:03

Wedding dress shopping??

Hi everyone, I am getting married on 21/10/2018 my venue, registrar and photographer are all booked. I was just wondering if it's too early to go and have a look at dresses not to particularly buy one just to understand what style I want. I will be paying for the dress myself and already have the majority of the budget saved but I just don't know if it's too early. As I've got all the major things sorted im itching to do something else lol. 

Thanks for for any advice 😊

• Posted: 20 Mar 2017 12:11

Re: Wedding dress shopping??

I got my dress about 18months before the wedding so I'd say you're fine getting it this early. I hadn't intended to buy one then, but it was at a fair so there was a 20% discount and I loved it I knew I'd regret it if I didn't.

The only thing is be sure you won't gain/lose too much weight in that time so that they'll still be able to alter it okay. In fact when my sister got hers she had to sign a contract saying she wouldn't loose more than 2 dresses sizes, as with her particular dress it was apparently impossible to alter it beyond that due to the way it was constructed!

• Posted: 20 Mar 2017 20:25

I'm April next year and I already have mine, it's in my mum's wardrobe! 

• Posted: 20 Mar 2017 22:41

I would say that even you go with the intention of not buying one, you should not rule out that this might happen as you might find one that you fall in love with. IMO, having gone shopping with no intention but then buying my dress 20 months out, I would advise waiting a few more months if you can. The wait to wear mine has been long and emotional and even though I absolutely love my dress, it is so hard to remember that in the middle of the long wait until your fittings start. Also, lots of new styles come out and you wont be able to stop seeing new and interesting styles on forums/tv/amgazines etc and you do question yourself about whether you prefer new things.

Why don't you get started on other things, there is still plenty you can do with 18 months to go. MUA, hair stylist (you don't need to know styles at this point, just get a good one booked), videographer if you are having, caterers if this isn't included in the venue, florist, cake maker. I had all these things booked at or just after the 18 months to go mark.

And if you want to get into dresses, just start familiarising yourself online with the designers and different options for each component of the dresses i.e. silhouette, neckline, waistline, details, materials.

Return to: Wedding Planning
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)