Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Pill to stop period?

31 of July of 2008 at 17:11 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi all

I'm sure I read on here somewhere that there is a pill to stop you having your period that you can get from the Doctor's?

Am I imagining this?!

Thanks

Jo

11 replies

Latest activity by kc 2b, 1 of August of 2008 at 10:39
  • Saracroft251
    Beginner August 2010
    Saracroft251 ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I think it is called utovlan - but it might only be legal in the US at the moment

other option is tranexamic acid pills (prescribed by GP) to lighten the flow, when I took them they made mine stop completely,

Either way defo go and see your GP as he/she will give best advice

X

Edit - Sorry just read my post and I wansnt clear - Utovlan doesnt stop them it delays them each day that you take a pill

• summer solstice
    Beginner June 2008
    summer solstice ·
    • Hide content

Jo you aren't imagining it. Ask your doctor for norethisterone.

I took this the month before my wedding to knock my period out by long enough so that I wouldn't be due for the wedding or honeymoon ?

Turns out I knocked my cyle out enough that I was ovulating on honeymoon and I'm now expecting a honeymoon baby! ?

• wonderstuff
    Beginner August 2009
    wonderstuff ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Congratulations ?

• M
    Beginner August 2009
    MrsK ·
    • Hide content

Hi, yes there is tablets that you take, I took them last year when I went on holiday. I took mine the day before I was due on, and took 2 tablets each day for around 3 days and never got the period, but next month they returned as normal. I'd definitely use them again. Ask your doc for 2 weeks supply of these if you are going away.

• summer solstice
    Beginner June 2008
    summer solstice ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Smiley smile

I have no experience with the implant, but it's probably worth having a chat with your doctor to see if it would be any use to you!

• summer solstice
    Beginner June 2008
    summer solstice ·
    • Hide content

Well I know when I took it I had to start taking it 3 days before my period was due - so if you knew when yours when yours was due you'd probably still have time. It may well be different in your circumstances though!

• FIONATS73
    Beginner August 2009
    FIONATS73 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

I am on cazzerete (sorry on the spelling), this is the mini pill where you do not have a period full stop. I started on the injection, which did not suit me but these actually do. I was at family last night and I spoke to them about a number things including when to come of the pill to start a family trying to let them give me the combination pill again. No joy, she said there is no difference except you have a false bleed on the combination, and the mini is better for me. I no doctor, so best to speak to them good luck x

• P
    Beginner July 2011
    puddledops ·
    • Hide content

Im ob microgynon (sommat like that) and say u r going on holiday. and ur due on u can carry on taking it and make ur period late.

hth

• kc 2b
    Beginner October 2008
    kc 2b ·
    • Hide content

Hi joflake,

I had the injection and it didn't suit me I was bleeding all the time (I mostly still am- 2 weeks out of 4- even though I've changed back to a pill) and the doc gave me mefenamic acid tablets which you take 3 times a day and it lightens the bleed (it stops mine after a day or so) for 5 days (but i think you need to be bleeding).

Norethesterone (or however you spell it) is another hormone based pill so not sure they'll give it you on the implant.

I've had to take my pill through (and am now having a 3 week bleed) to make sure I don't bleed for the wedding or honeymoon- fingers crossed!

Hope the doc sorts you out x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics