Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner October 2011

Local Council Interviews - Giving Notice Of Marriage Interview - What Should I Expect?

Mrs Poon, 6 of April of 2011 at 13:53 Posted on Planning 0 28

Hello Hitchers,

Me and O/H have our interview next month with our Local Council to get Marriage Licence. We were both born in the UK and have valid UK passports so why am I extra nervious about it. I hate interviews of any kind and when I get nervious I waffle on about crap.

Can anyone tell me how their interview went and the kind of questions I should expect.

Thanks

28 replies

Latest activity by Tl, 19 of February of 2024 at 19:21
  • Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I was nervous too but it was dead easy, the lady was really lovely and put us at ease.

She interviewed us together (although 'interview' is too formal, she really just went through our wedding date and our names etc) then she interviewed us separately and asked me his date of birth and what his dad does, and vice versa. We had to take our passports and proof of address.

Afterwards we went and had a pub lunch to celebrate... it was a really lovely day and made it feel very real!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

It's nothing to worry about at all. They interview you separately but they don't ask anything difficult. In fact, I don't remember that they ask you much at all about each other (bare basics), but they need to know you dad's full name, dad's occupation and all of your own details. You don't have to answer anything like "what year did he get that scar on his knee" or anything like that.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

We weren't even spoken to separatley AND I got H's occupation wrong so really don't worry! It's not a test!

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

I didn't realise that they asked you questions about each other!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

What everyone esle said! ours has been booked today infact so will be trotting off to registrer on June 10th!

• WhiteRose84
    Beginner
    WhiteRose84 ·
    • Hide content

We had ours in feb... it was so quick n simple. Like other hitchers have said, they just ask you each others details separately. My OH got my job title wrong - his answer was, I know she works with computers and stuff ?

And she even asked us if we were related.... bearing in mind, I'm Chinese and OH is English.... lol xx

• M
    Beginner October 2011
    Mrs Poon ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Guys, feeling a little better now ?

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

I havent had one of these!! should i have? ?

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

While we are on the subject, when you call to make an appointment how soon do they make them for? I'm getting permission to marry rather than giving notice, but I assume there's not much difference?

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ur having a civil ceremony right?!

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Yeah a humnaist one in scotland!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

might be different in bonnie scotland then, maybe one of our lovlies scots can advise!!

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Phew, rung the registry office in scotland that we gave our notice to and that is all fine, seems it is different up there, will stop panicing now

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

phew indeed lol

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Naboo, out of interest, how did you give notice without going in and having an interview? Did you just call them up?

Scotland's rules always seem better than ours LOL!

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

First of all Naboo, unlike England, Wales & Ireland, Humanist ceremonies are legally binding in Scotland so I would say you would have to refer to your celebrant rather than registrar.

We had our notice ‘interview’ a couple of weeks ago and we were both a bit nervous but the Registrars are lovely, I would recommend going first if they interview you separately as she asked me most of the questions and I know that OH would have panicked and got them all wrong! As long as you are both British citizens then they are not testing you or looking to trip you up, they just need all the information to check you are who you say you are and are legally free to marry!

We felt all lovely afterwards as it is quite an ‘official’ thing to do!

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Cheers guys, i had got info from my celebrant and basically you just apply for an M10 form from the locally registry office, they sort it all and then you pick up your marriage schedule, the registry office did call to check some bits but thats it was really easy, thats why i started panicing and then googling which only made it worse lol

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OH isn't a British citizen (though his country is in the EU so there's no possibility that we would be marrying so he could stay in the country) does this mean we get asked more/different questions or is it the same?

• D
    Beginner
    Dancerlady ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think it is the same. I am not British, but my home country is in the EU and they just asked us our names, birth dates, have we been married before, fathers names and occupations and I think that was it.

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

All they are trying to do is weed out the fake marriages and also ensure that they have the correct information on record to ensure you are not already married/underage/not who you say you are so if you are none of the above then you have nothing to worry about!

The questions I was asked (and my OH too I assume but he couldn’t remember…typical) were mine and OH’s full name, DOB, address, length of time at address, occupation, father’s names and occupations, where we are getting married and when, if we have been married before and I think that was it!

• massuch
    Beginner July 2011
    massuch ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I just checked today and how it works up here is 6-8 weeks before they send you out the application form and you send it back, job done!!!!!

• MrsBear2b
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsBear2b ·
    • Hide content

Haha Raef and LakeGardaBride I got my OH's job wrong too. But it's in the system now and we have to change it later on I think.

Regarding the 'are you related thing' do they have to ask that? They asked us and we were clearly not similar looking at all - OH being Indian and me Vietnamese. For crying out loud, our nose shapes were a dead give-away!

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOL I know! But I guess they have to ask EVERYONE by law. They asked us too. It's to avoid people marrying relatives. I know that in your case it would have been impossible NOT to spot that you were not related but who knows, you could be half-siblings?? LOL

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

Oh its so easy. You go in together to begin with just to confirm your wedding venue and date, time etc. Then you have to have a separate interview.. you both get asked the same questions but separately. Just things like your date of birth, place of birth, ethnic origin, address, all that kind of thing. Standard stuff. They wont ask you anything you wont know the answer to.. ?

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content

All we had to do was go in, get a form, fill it in and pay some money - simples!!

There are some up sides to living in Scotland! lol

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

Ours was a real interrogation lol... seriously thats how it seemed, we were interviewed seperately and asked loads of questions, it really made us both nervous. When we gave notice there had neen a lot of fake marriages reported in our area and immigration had caught loads at a church so maybe that was why. ?

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Woop, I have done that so im all good!! cheers massuch

• Tom
    Beginner October 2022 Hertfordshire
    Tom ·
    • Hide content
    Hi all,

I know this is an old thread, but anyone know if the questions are about biological father or the man I call my dad?
    Am estranged from my biological father as not a good guy unlike the man who raised me. Is my O/H going to need to know questions about biological father or would they ask about the man who I actually call my dad?
  • Tl
    Beginner May 2024 West Sussex
    Tl ·
    • Hide content
    Felt like a test! They asked me for my partners date of birth, full address, occupation, how long been at his address, his middle name, how his last marriage ended!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics