Best Man suit - who pays?

Spring
Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous12
Sort Posts:
  • Posted: 28 Jan 2009 16:32

RERe: REBest Man suit - who pays?

We are hiring our suits for all 12 people included in the bridal party.

TBH i wouldn't dream of asking someone to be in the party, tell them what to wear then ask them to pay anything towards it!

• Posted: 28 Jan 2009 16:38

Re: RERe: REBest Man suit - who pays?

I've been checking this out online and if you google 'best man suits, who pays?' then you'll get loads of sites popping up. All of these seem to suggest that it is actually the best man's responsibility to hire his own suit. 

I'd have thought otherwise but that does seem to be the norm. 

• Posted: 28 Jan 2009 16:45

I think its awful that they expect you to pay half, I wouldnt dream of asking my bridal party to pay half of the cost. Its their wedding they should pay for it!

• Posted: 28 Jan 2009 16:45

RERe: RERe: REBest Man suit - who pays?

I think it's a bit rude, we're looking into this at the moment too, we have thought about either buying cheap suits, or asking them to wear a suit they already own, and we buy shirt and ties to match things up.  It's crazy expensive to hire suits, i'd rather buy a cheap ish one and keep it... How often do you wear a suit!! x

• Posted: 28 Jan 2009 16:52

Re: RERe: RERe: REBest Man suit - who pays?

Mrs Spink to be!:

I think it's a bit rude, we're looking into this at the moment too, we have thought about either buying cheap suits, or asking them to wear a suit they already own, and we buy shirt and ties to match things up.  It's crazy expensive to hire suits, i'd rather buy a cheap ish one and keep it... How often do you wear a suit!! x

You can get lovely suits in Asda/Tesco for around £20 for both the trousers and jackets.

Jen - I've never heard of asking you're attendants to hire/pay for their own!!  At the end of the day they are *you're* attendants IMO if brides/grooms start asking their attendants to part with their hard earned cash for an outfit they've had no say in then it open up a whole can of worms with them then going on to dicatate how/what their money is spent on.

*I don't mean you personally here, but I think you get what I mean.

• Posted: 28 Jan 2009 16:53

Pfffft we arent paying for our best mans outfit. (He's a tightwad as it is!, LOL)  OH has said that he'll pay for their pre-wedding hotel rooms if the BM pays for his outfit. And thats what he's done.

• Posted: 28 Jan 2009 16:56

RERe: RERe: RERe: REBest Man suit - who pays?

I did a quick google search and found this in relation to tradtionally who pays for what for the wedding.

Its quite interesting reading -

http://money.uk.msn.com/guides/getting-married/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4754525

You'll need to scroll down half way to read the table!

• Posted: 28 Jan 2009 16:57

All our groomsmen all paid half towards their suits but that was because they all decided they saw a really nice suit in Selfridges and they wanted it to keep (not hire) so they paid the difference.

• Posted: 28 Jan 2009 17:05

On  the other hand, I found this: http://www.theweddingshop.com.au/welcome/page55.php

I guess if you are deciding what they wear then you can't really ask them to pay for it. But if you are letting them choose their outfit then I don't think it's totally unreasonable for them to pay (but only if they can afford it and are happy with the arrangement) for the hire!

• Posted: 28 Jan 2009 18:47

I just dont think its fair to tell somebody that they have to wear a particular thing (at your request!) and then expect them to pay for it! Wedding etiquette aside, its just damn rude!

I think the answre for this is for the best man to get back to the groom and say

'I'm sorry, but I cannot afford to pay £50 for the suit - can we talk about alternative options?".

If the groom offers to pay in full, alls good.

If the groom says "Well I cant afford to pay for it all" then the Best mans response is "Ok then - lets rethink the suit thing so that it works for both our budgets" and suggests any of the following situations which he is happy with:

-Wearing a suit he already owns

-Hiring a cheaper suit which best man can afford/justify/is prepared to pay for half of

-Buying a suit and paying for half each, which best man gets to keep (best man may feel this is a better deal for him - he still has to pay for half a suit he doesn't really need - but at least he has a suit to wear again or sell).

• Posted: 28 Jan 2009 19:02

RERe: RERe: REBest Man suit - who pays?

wow, im really the odd one out then.............still, its kilt hire he can afford!

• Posted: 28 Jan 2009 20:39

Re: RERe: RERe: REBest Man suit - who pays?

We are paying for the hire of our best man's suit. After all, we want him to be part of the day.

• Posted: 28 Jan 2009 22:38

RERe: RERe: RERe: REBest Man suit - who pays?

I think it is tradition for the best-man to pay for his own suit.  However I would imagine that if you have asked the best man to wear a specific suit then you should either pay for it. 

But ..  I do find these threads a little strange ...  If you are someones best-man you are either a good friend or relative.  If the groom cannot afford to pay for the suit and neither can the bestman, they should really talk to each other and come to an arrangement.

Marc

• Posted: 28 Jan 2009 22:49

Re: Best Man suit - who pays?

I agree with the others, and to tell you the truth I am quite shocked they could be that rude.

The BM does more on the wedding day than the CBM I think and we are hiring 4 suits for Groom, 2 dads and BM and I wouldn't dream of asking any of them to pay. They're all doing there bit, I want them to dress a certain way on our day - so I should pay.

Tell them to pi** off - sorry feel really strongly about this. Cat

Return to: Wedding Planning
Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous12