Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner March 2017

Held hands walking down the aisle

RomanticPinkDecor768, 17 of April of 2017 at 02:49 Posted on Just Married 0 3

Hi all

I got married a month ago. It was a beautiful day at Parklands Quendon Hall. We tried to follow tradition but keep the day fun and quirky too.

Anyway, when my Dad and I were about to walk down the aisle, I went blank and turned to him and said "what do I do?.. walk beside you, hold your hand or hold your arm or what?" Already feeling overwhelmed I panicked being only seconds away from walking in. My dad just said "the hold my hand and off we went.

So my dad mentioned the other day that my Grandma "told him off" for not taking my arm traditionally. And Yeh, I guess it's more formal to do so. It was strange enough having that kind of close contact with my dad because although we are close we're not very "touchy" (with want for a better word!) We hug to say goodbye but we dont have the kind of relationship where i would go uo and hug hom randomly I don't think. He's not overly sentimental (or as he's told me since, he doesn't tend to show it all that much)

When Dad mentioned this to me I just said it doesn't matter, we did what felt natural on the day and he said that he held my hand as he did when I was a child and in a way it symbolised the fact he was letting go of that little girl and he was handing me over to my new husband. Since the wedding whenever I see him, he tells me I look different. He said I've changed. He can't pinpoint what, but me being married has made me look different. More grown up, taller and new. Probably his perception of his first born growing up I guess.

Back to the point, Is it really that big a deal how you walk down the aisle? Is holding hands that bad?

Some outside opinions would be good.

Thank you xx

3 replies

Latest activity by RomanticBrownCakes683, 11 of June of 2017 at 20:35
  • N
    Beginner July 2016
    nileta ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I think it's the sweetest thing you holding hands with your dad whilst walking down the aisle. Like you said, you both went with what was comfortable at the time and in my opinion that is exactly what your wedding day should be about. It's not meant to make you feel awkward or out of your depth and should be looked back with the fondness that it was intended for. Good for you, I think you both did exactly the right thing.

• H
    HappyPurpleCars799 ·
    • Hide content

To me it's a beautiful thing. Far too many people these days feel they have to conform to a certain format or what is deemed to be 'acceptable' in the eyes of others. It puts unnecessary discomfort and pressure on to what should be a beautiful, memorable day. What you did was perfectly natural at the time, and was exclusive to you and your father. To me that can't be bettered. Not many can say the same. Good on you.

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

I got married a couple of weeks ago and my Mum walked me down the aisle- we had exactly the same 'moment' as we were about to go in 'link arms? hold hands? what?....ummm...errrr...'

We too did what felt right and natural and held hands- it was perfect for us, as it was for you and your Dad! Don't let what your Grandmother thinks taint a lovely memory- she is entitled to her opinion of course, but at the end of the day what YOU wanted was what mattered!

• R
    Beginner June 2018
    RomanticBrownCakes683 ·
    • Hide content

I held my dads hand walking down the aisle too - dads hold their daughters hand as a child and through their life why not hold their hand to the alter? some of my favorite photos of my wedding is me holding my dads hand as he cried walking me down the aisle.. traditional can go screw itself that felt natural to you x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics