Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2017

Grooms - what are you wearing?

Mr_P, 11 of April of 2016 at 15:31 Posted on Planning 0 14

Seeing as this forum is a little light on content, I thought I'd post a question here! Not sure how many grooms there are on the forum but I hope there's more than just me!

So - as the subject asks, what are you wearing on the big day?

Are you wearing the full morning dress with top hat? Or maybe you're considering a stroller instead of the morning coat? Not bothering at all with a jacket and just turning up in a waistcoat? Jeans and a tee-shirt?

And what about your groomsmen? Are they wearing the same? Contrasting colours and outfits?

And how much say have YOU had in the final selection? Have you been free to choose? Or is the bride insisting on dressing you all?!

Personally, I'm still deciding. I've thrown some ideas out to my bride for feedback and have an idea of what she likes and dislikes... but I'm still making the final decision myself!

14 replies

Latest activity by LuxuriousPurpleStationery590, 1 of August of 2017 at 14:56
    Beginner November 2016
    1987RAF ·
    • Hide content

Puts on Sir David Attenborough's voice "A lone male wonders out from behind the keyboard totally unaware of the danagers he faces lurking just around the corner. The rarest of rare breeds in this part the to be married male".

Yeah, its a little quiet in these parts Ive found as there doesnt appear to be many of us on here so I just join in on the main boards. Im sure half the girls think I'm a female as well. Im probably not much use to you either to be honest as my answer is simple being a Scot - family tartan with jacket and vest.

Ive been left to everything my side but its simples as we are all wearing our tartans so not much to get wrong there Smiley smile

Just decide on what you want - everyone talks about it being her big day but ts yours just as much and you will need to feel comfortable as its a long day.........

Deffo the need for more guys on here though so if you know anyone else, bring them along.

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Mr_P ·
    • Hide content

I did see another groom post on the main board... maybe we could get him to come in to the grooms room....!

Yeah, I guess it's easy being a Scot - your wedding outfit is pretty much standard! Will you be wearing matching tartan underwear or... ! Smiley winking

I did poke my head above the parapet the other day on the main board asking about 2017 trends and got shot down very quickly! I'll learn....

When's your wedding?

Beginner November 2016
    1987RAF ·
    • Hide content

A true Scot would never tell although my brothers wedding was interesting with all the ladies wanting to see what was underneath ?

Mine is November this year so not long to go. I wouldnt worry about being shot down, thats just the way they are. I tihnk its becuase they have been planning their weddings since they were little girls and want everything to be perfect but us lads are more relaxed about everything as I think there is less pressure on us wanting everything to be perfect. Just look at wedding fayres - I went along and was basically ignored the whole time as they thought my parents were getting married. I went with my mum and dad for some ideas on my own and no one was really interested apart from one vendor who was really into a guy going to one and being allowed to make some decisions. Subsequently we booked her up.

I see you are a 2017 groom. Early or late year?

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Mr_P ·
    • Hide content

I'm in the middle of 2017 - July 29th!

It's been quite an interesting experience, planning the wedding. I have done lots of research and stuff basically putting ideas under the accountants nose (the bride to be!) for her to say yay or nay! I must confess, I have loved doing it!

As you say, the ladies of the forum have probably spent most of their lives planning, dreaming, wanting. I just want a big party, lol!

We have done two wedding fairs and at each, my OH has said to use my email address for correspondence - I have actually set up a separate email address for the wedding stuff just to keep things in one place!

I have been to a wedding in Scotland once - there were lots of discussions between the ladies as to whether the kilt wearers were wearing anything but kilts... I'm, sure some of them found out as the night wore on.....!

• R
    Beginner November 2016
    RomanticGoldDiamonds599 ·
    • Hide content

I got a fancy suit tailored for me in London, cost an arm and a leg but its what the bride wants! It didn't come with a shirt, tie or pocket square though, I was thinking of just getting a wedding tie set online from somewhere like http://www.tiesnsuch.co.uk/necktie-sets/wedding-tie-set.html

don't know where I'm going to get my shirt from, I'm no longer in London & there's not so many classy clothing shops near where I live! Normally I'd go to Primark but I feel that isn't an option here lol

Beginner November 2016
    1987RAF ·
    • Hide content

Have a look at the outlet villages if you are just after a plain shirt. It wil lbe better quality than Primark

• S
    Beginner April 2016
    samwillow ·
    • Hide content

I think hat isn't important

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Mr_P ·
    • Hide content

So as I started this thread, I thought I'd better contribute now that I have chosen!

I have decided to hire from Moss Bros - 2 Lingfields for me and the best man and the rest of the groomsmen will be in the Wedgewood. These will be complimented with claret and amber waistcoats, claret cravats and pocket hanky and claret & amber socks! My best man is suggesting him and I wear burgundy brogue shoes too, but that might be overkill! LOL!

Am I the only groom left on this site now? Smiley sad

• W
    WeddingWill2018 ·
    • Hide content

I'm still trying to decide where to buy mine from, I would like to unconventionally buy rather than rent. I can't seem to find anywhere in Hampshire except the usual highstreet brands like Debhanams etc.

I just know that I want a three piece suit and I am tempted to go with a double breasted jacket.

You're not the only groom left, maybe one of two Smiley winking

I would go to my best man but she's a women and is more clueless than me on this stuff lol!

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Mr_P ·
    • Hide content

Oh wow! There's another groom!

Have you thought about going to a tailors and getting something made? Or maybe buy on-line from somewhere such as a suit that fits? I did consider going that route myself but as I'm paying for all the groomsmen's suits, I decided hiring was the sensible option.

We have all got bespoke waistcoats which will be a little different.

• E
    EdwardLynch1966 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, new here and this is the only male section I've found!

I'm the best man at my brothers wedding. I was wondering like someone else said if it would be good to go with men's suits from an online retailer or if it would be better going for a full hire and something special?

Thanks in advance

• E
    EdwardLynch1966 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, new here and this is the only male section I've found!

I'm the best man at my brothers wedding. I was wondering like someone else said if it would be good to go with men's suits from an online retailer or if it would be better going for a full hire and something special?

Thanks in advance

• R
    Beginner October 2017
    RomanticPinkStationery680 ·
    • Hide content

I wear a suit everyday for work so wanted to go quiet casual but still formal. So decided on some smart black skinny jeans, with a nice tweed waistcoat and shirt to match.

• M
    Beginner August 2018
    mowgli85 ·
    • Hide content

Just signed up and glad to see a blokes corner!

we officially book our wedding on Wednesday and I have decided I'd like to be hands on involved which seems to have went down well.

for my suit I'm thinking greys, with brown shoes and then a pinky/purple tie. Though I was told my tie will have to match the bridesmaids dresses. Hope the girls don't mind wearing pinks/purples then haha.

• L
    Beginner August 2017
    LuxuriousPurpleStationery590 ·
    • Hide content

I've gone with Moss Bross also. Groomsmen and fathers are in blue Ted Baker suits with lemon ties. I had one tailored by moss bross. I get married three weeks tomorrow

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics