Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Calella
Beginner August 2016

Hoops!

Calella, 4 of August of 2015 at 17:01 Posted on Planning 0 11

Not the spaghetti kind sadly, but the under-your-dress kind!

I'm just curious, how much can I expect to pay for one, and am I better buying from a bridal store or elsewhere? I was thinking of buying one second hand since I can't imagine people are too bothered about keeping them after the day!

I know you get different materials and sizes, but apart from that I've not got a scooby!

11 replies

Latest activity by Kittylove, 13 of August of 2015 at 12:19
  • Kittylove
    Beginner August 2015
    Kittylove ·
    • Hide content

I got mine from Amazon for about £14. It is adjustable so you can make it bigger or smaller. Bridal shop wanted £25 to rent one, plus a £25 deposit. No brainier I think.

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    Manda79 ·
    • Hide content

Mine is £25 to hire as well. I know you can buy cheaper but I was a but wary about whether it'll be exactly the same/fit etc.

in the grand scheme of wedding planning I've decided to bite the £25 bullet for peace of mind!

so yes, I would say you can buy cheaply- just be sure you're buying exactly what you need. There were plenty new on eBay for about a tanner when I looked.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Not sure about prices, because my dress didnt need a hoop, but here is some info which might help you choose one:

http://www.mygowns.com/choose-bridal-petticoat-slip-crinoline.html

https://www.facebook.com/notes/dressilyme/how-to-choose-a-petticoat-for-your-wedding-dress/349635711721082

• Inspyre
    Beginner August 2016
    Inspyre ·
    • Hide content

Amazon/Ebay or second hand.

To buy from a bridal shop they're pretty expensive.

You might find one in a charity shop? I'm planning on borrowing a friend's if they still have it by then, they got it for about £20 online Smiley smile

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

We got our daughter one from a different bridal shop to the one we bought her dress from. Both wanted £25 to hire for the day but we asked to have a look at them and they were well worn and quite grubby looking. I didn't see the point in spending all that money on her dress and then putting a less than perfect underskirt/hoop underneath especially as she had to walk down stairs on her entrance and had to hold her dress up slightly as she descended. We paid £45 for a new one so, for us, it was worth £20 extra for peace of mind that a less than perfect underskirt didn't end up showing on the photos.

• CornishBride89
    Beginner October 2015
    CornishBride89 ·
    • Hide content

I got mine from the bridal shop and it cost £75 to buy! ?

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to jump on your thread Calella with a potentially silly question - but how do you know what type of hoop to get for your dress. As I purchased mine second hand I'm not sure which one to get? Also following with interest as to where to get a hoop from!

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

If I'm honest - I don't know what size I'm supposed to buy! I intend to use my good friend google to try and find more info. I may also pop into the boutique to ask them what size hoop they think, I bought my dress ex sample but will be taking it back for cleaning and storage in January.

I was told £70 to buy new, which I think is a bit much! But I also remember reading on here about a lady that bought a plastic one off amazon and it wasn't actually strong enough to hold her dress so it was a waste.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I think they are one size. The one we got had an opening with a long velcro piece so you could fasten it where you wanted. They reckon double hoops are easier to walk in but if you get a double skirt you can either add or leave out the second hoop as they just thread through.

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £60 from the bridal shop and comes with a little blue bow on it!

Expensive I know, but I did look online and there were so many different ones, I didn't know which was the right one and if it would fit my dress. Also the quality, as I saw cheap ones on ebay form china.

In the end I just got it when I bought my dress. She had a few different hoops so I knew I was getting the right one for my dress.

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    Manda79 ·
    • Hide content

Same here my shop had several. I know she said I needed a size1 large A line. -when I looked online they still varied quite a bit. Size 1 I think relates to the size of the hoop mine is literally to lift it up a smidgen so it didn't need altering. Large is the dress size- it has a stretchy waistband. So they do accommodate a range of sizes eg 8-14 I think mine is 20+ kind of thing.

• Kittylove
    Beginner August 2015
    Kittylove ·
    • Hide content

I know this post is slightly old but thought I would share my experience of the hoop I bought from Amazon.

It cost me about £14 and I got it from Flora's Boutique. It was an adjustable size 1 hoop for A line dresses.

it was strong enough, and didn't snap, I know some people had concerns over this. It was really comfy as it had a Lycra top and stayed put all day, I know sometimes the draw string ones can start to fall down. I like that it was adjustable as I didn't want the skirt too big.

The only problem I had with it, was that it was a bit too light, so after getting up from sitting down it didn't reposition itself properly. A couple of times I had to send my friend up my skirt to retrieve it and put it back in place. I think this was partly to do with the number of layers of petticoat in my dress though. I didn't need the hoop to make it hang properly, I bought it to help me walk a bit easier.

Overall I would say it was a bargain.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics