Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chucklevision
Beginner July 2015

swimdresses...

Chucklevision, 27 of April of 2015 at 21:14 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 37

So I'm starting to build up my holiday wardrobe for the honeymoon and I'm seeing a lot of swim dresses and I'm not sure how I feel about them.

What do you lot think?

37 replies

Latest activity by miss_winter14, 29 of April of 2015 at 14:46
  • MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

As in, the things older ladies wear when they have fat thighs or can't be bothered to trim downstairs?

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

ERM.... I guess so.

One of these..y

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

It would definitely make me look even shorter and dumpier, but it looks good on her! Do you feel a bit exposed in normal bottoms?

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

Harsh, Mrs Shep! But you're a skinny minny so don't suffer fat girl probs. I wear one of these, mostly because it makes me feel a tiny, marginal bit less exposed with my ginormous thighs. But also because I think womens swimsuits are an effing JOKE, they expose your wobbliest bits, it's so awful!

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

I got a funky one from asos curve and a sexier one from BHS, of all places, by the way.

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

Haha! Classic Mrs Shep!

I like swim-dresses in theory, but I've never actually managed to find one I liked IRL (not on my body anyway). Also me I find that the skirts are too short for me to really feel any more covered up than with normal bottoms, so I guess it's be ok for sunbathing but for me I feel like I need more coverage even than the swim-dress offers when I'm moving around (walking down the beach, or actually swimming), I prefer to buy colourful gym shorts that match with the colours of my costume. The lightweight material is very much like blokes swim shorts, and I feel I get better coverage (and therefore have more confidence) than I would in a swim dress.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Pfft, not true! Ive always had thigh rub, even when I was 8 stone, but I put weight on in the same way my mum does, a little on my arms, a bit on my back and chin, but the majority on my belly! I can't do most of my jeans up at the moment ?

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

I'm not keen on them personally. I prefer the 50's style shorts and a tankini top.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I think they're cute, but wouldn't buy one myself.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

I hate my figure particularly in that area so I have been wearing speedo shorts recently and I have a speedo costume with shorts there not pretty but I don't drop out I don't feel it reveals me so my confidence is so much more it's good because hubby likes pratting about in the pool so was so conscious before

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

I just don't take my kaftan off. Ever.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I think they're nice but kinda pointless as it doesn't really seem to cover you up much more than big bottoms would anyway.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Really SW? I'd have thought you had a banging bod!

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Mrs Shep - you are an angel, slightly dilusional, but lovely none the less.

I bought three new pairs of jeans last week, they were all size 16. That's the first time that's ever happened. Not a laughing matter.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Oh, and, I found a stretch mark - not one of feint those silvery lines we all have on our thighs - it looks like someone has drawn from my belly button down to my cooch in dark red pen. You know like a pregnancy one? I'M NOT PREGNANT.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I'm really hoping that'll be one of the few positive things I inherit from my mother, lack of stretch marks! Got my fingers tightly crossed on that one, so far so good. I mostly wear size 10 jeans, partly out of stubborness, partly because of the weird way I put on weight, so my ass never gets bigger, but my belly does! New look used to do an amazing range of low slung jeans that were perfect for me, but alas, no more. I'm top heavy in a big way, broad shoulders, big boobs, varying degrees of huge belly, but I don't have hips, bum etc, which made wedding dress shopping amusing! Quickly realised if it didn't fake some hips, it was out. Also at only 5ft 2, I'm dumpy!

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

I think they're cute but prefer the 50's style swimsuit mentioned before..

I tend to go for a bikini but there are some really pretty full suits around atm..

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

I've always worn swimdresses, even as a teen, because fat thighs. my legs have always been chunky. I've only had the self-confidence to wear bikinis since meeting h2b, and I usually go with bikini top and bottoms with a frilly skirt, like a bikini version of a swim dress. Flirting with the idea of high-waisted bikini for the honeymoon, but i want one which will actually suck the belly in - the only one i've found so far was from bellissimo and about sixty quid :-

I've been a 14-16 my whole adult life, apart from one year as a 12 after WW. tried to get back to a 12 for the wedding, and have failed miserably Smiley sad luckily i have a classic hourglass figure, so altho to me i have massive love handles and thighs, I don't *look* as big as I am and people are often shocked to find out how heavy I actually am. and luckily h2b prefers me happy and fat rather than hangry and skinny!

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

They're cute but you couldn't pay me to get in one. at the beach i wear jeans and a t-shirt, and on the rare occasions i go swimming, i wear a full bathing suit and board shorts:

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have tons of stretch marks on my stomach. Only been pregnant once and certainly didn't get far enough along for it to cause stretch marks - I'm just fat. Don't worry about it!

On topic, I think swimdresses are cute, but I don't swim if I can at all help it. Swimming, especially in swimming baths, is the one time I feel like everyone is looking at the scars on my hip and thigh. Strangely I will wear shorts in summer and not care about people seeing them. I dunno.

• K
    Beginner August 2015
    Kerrypug ·
    • Hide content

I'm with Miss Winter, I always go for a tankini top with a built in bra and board shorts - they come in different lengths so if I'm feeling brave I'll get mid thigh ones! No feeling self-conscious in those. Also less chance of burning with my pale skin and no chub rub :-)
    I never saw the point in swimdresses, they only cover as much as a swimsuit would anyway so the only bonus is the slight bum coverage.
    Last time I went on holiday though (which was a couple of years ago and when I was at my biggest) I realised once I was there that no one else really cares what you look like. I still feel better wearing shorts though, especially walking around.

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

As i say kerry- i go full suit Smiley winking tankini top can rise up- full suit stays in place Smiley winking

and i'd never wear it to the beach so i won't burn Smiley winking hehe

jeans and t-shirt to the beach girls- it's the way forward!

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

Sorry only just checked in

I think I'm with YK that I like them in theory. It not on me. I was trying to find a funky tankini and notice that swim dresses seem to be the "in" thing this year

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

That's cute schwelley. Jeans and a t shirt miss winter?? there's no need for that!! What are you, like a size 8? Show it off!! I think being a swimmer as a kid really helped me with the body image thing, you had no choice but to wear a tiny swimming costume, its also why speedos don't bother me in the slightest!

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

Schwelley, that suit is gorgeous! good choice, not mumsy at all!

I stopped caring what I look like in a swimsuit after my first nudey beach experience. LOVED IT. I highly recommend it - there's nowt like swimming in open water in your birthday suit, and you realise how little other people care about your jiggly bits. and I have always had body image issues.

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Oooh this is very nice, where is this from??

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Despite the fact I have body issues, I still wear a bikini on holiday but mainly because I like to tan though. In the UK I wear a tankini or a swimsuit.

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Best. News. Ever.... I know where I'm off to over the weekend Smiley smile

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Surely jeans is the most inappropriate thing you could ever wear to a beach ever? Apart from maybe a big peni5 costume. If you want to cover up at the beach, there is more appropriate ankle length wear available. Urgh I'm feeling all itchy and sweaty and gritty just thinking about jeans on a beach!

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

The feeling of wet denim on skin gives me the heebie jeebies

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i only own two types of trousers- work trousers which seem even less appropriate, and jeans, so jeans it is Smiley winking hehe

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I never go to beaches, but if I wanted to go to one and stay covered, I'd wear a maxi skirt or dress. I wear those a lot in the summer anyway.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics