Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lady Zith

Random question re wedding planners & image

Lady Zith, 26 of April of 2015 at 11:26 Posted on Planning 0 19

I thought I'd ask you lovely hitchers first about this. If you were looking at a wedding planner, how much is that person's physical image important? Would it bother you if, say, the planner had bright coloured hair & piercings? Would you expect them suited & booted?

Would a quirky alternative style say 'creativity' to you? Or would it be more likely to say 'unprofessional' and therefore you wouldn't quite trust them to plan your wedding effectively?

Any views / opinions would be welcome. Thank you!

19 replies

Latest activity by Lady Zith, 28 of April of 2015 at 12:43
  • M
    Beginner July 2015
    mrsgzd ·
    • Hide content

I'd say they were probably more creative and open to try things. I honestly don't think image matters much though.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

I would go off of their portfolio, nevermind what they looked like.

To me, suited and booted is boring anyway :-)

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    Manda79 ·
    • Hide content

Their personal image wouldn't bother me, I'd be more interested in seeing examples of their work/reviews.

time keeping would be a bigger deciding factor- if they were late, I wouldn't consider them.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

If I was to use a wedding planner, I would be looking for examples of their previous work or a recommendation initially.

However, what would really matter to me, as it mattered with all my wedding suppliers, was how well I clicked with them. I would want to make sure they were professional, not going to let me down and that they were going to listen to my wants and needs, not thrust their own ideas on me.

I would be unlikely to book someone with bright coloured hair and piercings but only because their sense of style wouldn't match mine - I have nothing against bright coloured hair and piercings, but it's not my kind of thing and therefore I wouldn't expect other ideas they had to be like mine either.

On the other hand, I wouldn't necessarily expect them to be suited and booted either.

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Bright hair and piercings wouldn't bother me or if they were suited but I would expect them to look smart as you want them to look like they take their business seriously

• critter1066
    Beginner September 2015
    critter1066 ·
    • Hide content

I think I would perhaps give them a few ideas on what you'd like and see if they get your vision and then reply with complimenting suggestions, some people are great at picking up on other's tastes and ways to interpret them even if it isn't their personal style. Definitely agree with the others on viewing a portfolio of previous work, just to check they were varied in terms of style or even similar to what you'd like, and not all in an alternative style that doesn't suit what you're after.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

That's exactly what my tog looked like :-) I think image is important for, say, a wedding co-ordinator at a hotel, but not so much for this. Although as Auntie B says, someone quirky may well lose out on more conservative clients as they may think they don't suit their vision. We're both tattooed and laid back when it comes to image. I would never have wanted a wedding planner though, and haven't heard of many that have who got married in this country, so I'm guessing clients would be a bit niche, probably professionals themselves, so that might affect it.

• CBeckford
    Rockstar July 2015
    CBeckford ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This!

• Lady Zith
    Lady Zith ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much for all the comments - they are much appreciated. My target market will be the more alternative / niche / quirky market anyway (and how to meld that seamlessly with as much of the traditional as is wanted) so I'm hoping my blue hair won't be a problem. However as I'm determined to make this work, if it means I need to change my hair colour to something more 'conservative' I'm happy to do it. I'd never be scruffy (I'm not good at scruffy unless I'm having a duvet day which is rare!) but I do tend to have a bit of a goth / Victoriana look.

On the basis of your comments I won't worry about that then! Thank you! Smiley smile

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Oh please dont dye your hair - that is the perk of being self employed! I would love to be able to dye my hair blue haha!!

The alternative wedding market is booming at the mo anyway :-) Stay you, and as long as you have the talent and ability, you will always get clients! Good luck with it all!! :-)

• Lady Zith
    Lady Zith ·
    • Hide content

Thank you!!! It's the alternative side I'm aiming at, particularly where I live (Bristol) & seems the ideal time to pursue a business I've wanted to get into for years.

But don't worry - I'll never stop being me!!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like you are perfect enough as you are to attract your ideal client ?. Don't change a thing.

• Asmurfette
    Beginner September 2015
    Asmurfette ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can't afford a wedding planner, BUT, please do this, from looking at ideas out there for planning my own wedding, i have noticed the more "alternative" (hate that word but you know what i mean) people don't get much of a look in when it comes to weddings ... if i could afford it i would most certainly hire someone with edge..

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content

At risk of being jumped on here, yes I would take it into account. Meeting the person would be the decicder though. In other words I wouldnt rule them out just seeing them on a photo or on their website for example.

This is because I am a cutsie, girly, floral, oldy wurdly, type person with no tattoos or peircings and i've only ever had blonde hair. I'd worry that tastes would be a massive factor. I'd still meet them and discuss requirements though!!!!!!!!

Our photographer has a very cool edgy look about her, with a dress sense i wouldnt go near! but loved her work and loved her, so booked her.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Not a planner, although I have come across some ministers who have a strict dress code for the photographer. If they don't adhere, they wont let them inside the church.

Not common practise, although this does exist....

Peter

• Lady Zith
    Lady Zith ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all. I do appreciate the feedback - including the ones that may mean I should consider changing! Seriously - I'm after honest opinions so I do appreciate all of them.

I do recognise that the end of the market I'm looking at isn't going to appeal to everyone - but that's kind of the point of focussing on it. I'm also aware that I'll need to prove my credentials and abilities before I really get lots of business - and that people will need to 'click' with me before hiring me. I'll be honest I hadn't considered the church element - so thank you for that. I'm happy to do things like cover my hair etc if needed - I do understand respect particularly in religious settings!

My conclusion from this seems to be that I'll stick with it as I am for now, but if it seems to be stopping people connecting with me or using me, then I'll reconsider. After all, I dye my hair every 2 - 3 weeks so changing it to a henna red type or black wouldn't be THAT big a deal tbh.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you're aiming for the alternative market my lovely, don't change a single thing ?

The worst thing you can do when starting out in business (IMO) is to try to cater for everyone. We did it and honestly, it just held us back.

It's really tempting to want to appeal to everyone because you want the bookings through the door, but long term all it tends to do is bring in more of the type of work you weren't necessarily looking for. When we started out, we were doing a bit of everything- family shoots, weddings, portraits. Hoping that more clients would mean more of the work we really wanted to focus on (weddings) All it did was get us more family shoots and things we didn't enjoy.

At some point we had to make a decision about what we wanted to do and run with it. That was the time our business really flourished. It's the longer road, but it's the more rewarding one I think.

Happy to help in any way if we can. Best of luck with everything ?

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Lady Zith - we are having an alt wedding and have no planner, however an on the day co-ordinator might be handy, would you do something like that? Or just plan the whole shabang? We are getting married in South Wales, not far over the bridge :-)

• Lady Zith
    Lady Zith ·
    • Hide content

Oh wow! Yes absolutely I'd love to do that. I'm certainly not going to limit myself with only offering the whole thing - I want people to be able to pick and choose what elements they want - this whole thing is about the couple's wedding NOT me - so it's whatever people actually want.

I'll PM you. Smiley smile

• Lady Zith
    Lady Zith ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much for this. Part of my problem is that I'm still working out exactly what I am going to aim for - but you're absolutely right I need to stick to being me & do what instinctively is right. Thanks for sharing your story.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics