Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

halloweeny
Beginner October 2013

Mould - washing machine

halloweeny, 28 of November of 2014 at 12:15 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

We've had a few threads about mould with helpful suggestions so i thought i'd try and get some input from you lovely ladies.

When i turn on our washing machine some really foul smells come from our kitchen sink (it's connected to the drain there). I've put drain cleaner down the drain and have also used washing machine cleaning products (Dr Beckmann deep clean powder stuff), but it hasn't made a difference. I've now found a discolouration on the rim of the washing machine door which looks like mould.

OH bought it about 6 years ago and he and his then flatmate had a tendency to leave the door closed all the time. I have a suspicion that perhaps the damp has caused mould somewhere in the machine, but I can't see anything and have wiped the bits i can get to.

OH thinks i'm making it up and has decided it is not a problem ?. I don't want to just leave it to get worse as the thought of washing my clothes in a dirty machine makes me gag.

Has anyone got any suggestions how I can get rid off the smell and what it might be?

9 replies

Latest activity by Erin8, 8 of December of 2014 at 22:25
  • jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

When ours was bad i used white vinegar I put a large cup of it into the drum on its own and put it on a hot wash at least a 90 and left it to do it's thing. it smelt a lot better after that.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I've tried wiping the seal and always find there's water in the 'grouve' in the middle. I'll try and pull it back to see if there's something I missed on the seal and will also try the vinegar.

Thanks so much ladies!!

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried putting it through the hottest possible cycle it can manage? (empty of course). How is your detergent draw? My old machine's draw got a bit manky, a good clean helped with the smell.... Sorry if I am not of much help!!

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

If it's discoloured the door seal probably needs replacing. Sounds like the mould has festered a little too long Smiley sad

You might have a blockage in your standpipe?

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I've tried the hottest setting but that didn't seem to get rid of it.

ive now pulled the seal back and found some under the seal :-( So frustrated with OH who claims nobody ever leaves their washing machine door open to avoid damp. I'm pretty sure that's caused the problem as the seal folds back on itself when the door is shut making a lovely home for mould. Grrrrr...

ill see if I can whipe it off with bleach but have a feeling you're right DD. OH is still in lalaland and says it's not serious. I'll try the vinegar solution and some more drain cleaner before seeing if we can afford a new one. Might be at the laundrette this weekend. :-(

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Same here Flora! My mum always told me to leave the door open and make sure I whipe it out.

I suspect my MIL does the same but failed to inform OH of this basic necessity. Bless him... he's normally really good around the house. Just annoying as this is a very annoying and expensive mistake.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Quick update - i tried the hottest setting with the vinegar and that seemed to make a bit of a difference (i.e. smell was pretty much gone).

My friend's mum recommended 300g of soda crystals on the highest setting which I also tried. I'm now not 100% sure which one did the trick but it seems to have improved matters no end. The smell has gone and i'll just keep an eye on the discolouration.

so pleased! ?

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I ALWAYS leave the door and draw open after using the washing machine. I should have mentioned the soda crystals trick, l use them for sorting out our rubbish drains

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics