Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner July 2016

Those of you having an outdoor ceremony

Little_MrsA2B, 21 of October of 2014 at 15:26 Posted on Planning 0 11

I have a question for you.

I would absolutely LOVE to get married outside however, I am of course concerned about the Great British weather! Did/do you guys have a contingency plan in case it rains cats and dogs? Was your venue able to accommodate this? I'm not sure where to start with trying to find an outside venue that also has a back up indoor area!

Can any of you point me in the right direction?

Thanks Smiley smile

11 replies

Latest activity by Forever&always, 28 of October of 2014 at 11:44
  • R
    Beginner December 2014
    rambosmum ·
    • Hide content

I've been a guest at two outdoor weddings. One had a contingency plan of an indoor alternative and the others contingency was large umbrella's! Neither needed them though. The second one was on a farm, the first one at a hotel.

• M
    Beginner July 2016
    MellieMoo ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married at a farm/ woodland. We have a huge marquee and two smaller marquees. We are not sure exactly which we're going to use yet as we'd prefer everyone mainly outside with straw bale seating etc and then join the two small marquees together for an informal bar/ buffet area. But if it's looking like rain closer to the day we'll probably put the big one up and have all the tables and the stage in there. We're fortunate to be able to borrow all the marquees from a friend who organises events, otherwise you're looking at having to hire.

before settling on our venue we looked specifically for farms with barns we could use as well as a field, and campsites with some kind of indoor alternative like a bender x

• N
    NHGirl ·
    • Hide content

Planning for an outdoor wedding -- and having to make alternative arrangements if things have to move indoors -- can cause you needless worry and expense trying to cover for all contingencies. What works outside may not work if it all has to be brought indoors. Even if it doesn't rain on the day, the ground might be muddy, and even if it doesn't rain, don't forget about high winds, cold or hot spells that would make it uncomfortable. If you've ever watched "Four Weddings UK or US" on TV, you can see what can potentially happen, and to date, I've never seen a wedding brought inside that worked as beautifully as it could have been outside.

Maybe look for somewhere that gives the feeling of being outdoors, such as a large conservatory or a facility with floor to ceiling glass that can open completely to the outdoors, or covered patio or pavilion.

Check out these ideas:

http://www.waddesdon.org.uk/weddings-at-waddesdon/the-dairy/the-dairy.

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/hilliergardens/weddings-at-hilliers/hilliergardens-weddings-pavilion.htm

http://www.hambletonweddingphotography.co.uk/cheshire-wedding-venue/stephanie-and-jonothans-cheshire-wedding-at-peover-golf-club-a-preview.html -- The barn at Peover Golf Club looks

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Just so that you know that in this country you can only get legally married in an approved premises and if outdoors it has to be in a permanent structure with a fixed roof,so no marquees.It can be a small building just big enough for you two and the registrars and may the witnesses but everyone else do not have to be under the roof like the picture, which has a fixed metal roof. But the way around this is to do the "paper work" in the register office before hand which is what I believe MellieMoo is doing.Then you can do what you like.

• M
    Beginner July 2016
    MellieMoo ·
    • Hide content

Yes we're doing the legal bit at the registry office. I couldn't imagine having our special 'real' ceremony indoors though, no amount of dryness and comfort makes up for being under the sky with bare feet on the grass while all your lived ones watch you join together in nature Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner July 2016
    Little_MrsA2B ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all for your replies.

I had heard about the 'permanent structure' thing but that has really clarified it so thank you for that ?

That's a good idea to do the legal part in a registry office and then we aren't so restricted. Will definitely keep that in mind and talk to H2B about it.

Thanks ladies!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

We're planning an outdoor ceremony with the legal bit done a few days before at the registry office- no thrills, vows rings etc.

Our Plan B is...well there isn't a plan B, we'll just get very wet! We're keeping everything crossed that it'll be a lovely day, or at a push just not raining too hard!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

As mentioned above, the roof has to be deemed permanent although the structure can be open around like below....

Peter

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This! Although we have an oast building for the meal/ reception, the ceremony will be outside, just with brollies if needed!

• L
    Beginner June 2016
    Little Girl Red ·
    • Hide content

I was MOH at a wedding in May and the ceremony was supposed to take place outside the venue (a barn) under a wooden pagoda. Unfortunately it rained in the day but the venue was completely ready to move everything indoors. This was Kingscote Barn in Gloucester. Try having a look for venues with similar options perhaps?

As it turns out I'm going to be getting married outside myself, on the beach in Ibiza - I don't think we have a contingency plan!!

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Only in England and Wales - in Scotland you can marry anywhere as long as you have a registered minister (not a registrar) and a humanist wedding is legal too.

• Forever&always
    Beginner September 2016
    Forever&always ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married at High House in Althorne and the registar decides on the day if we are able to get married outside. If not the venue has a barn where they will set up instead

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics