Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Koshka
Beginner July 2002

Tax and National Insurance -quick query

Koshka, 13 of August of 2008 at 17:01 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 18

Can anyone help?

If a job is 24 hours a week and pays the national minimum wage, after tax and national insurance what would be the take home pay?

We're thinking Mr Koshka may be getting underpaid at work, hense the query. We'd rather have all the facts first then go to his employer or payroll department rather than the other way around.

Thanks

18 replies

Latest activity by SunnyGreenCars93930, 17 of November of 2017 at 22:16
  • Mrs S Smith
    Beginner August 2007
    Mrs S Smith ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm not sure, but google "salary calculator" and you can put the details in there.

H and I use it all the time ?

xxx

• Zooneycat
    Zooneycat ·
    • Hide content

I usually use this for a guide: https://listentotaxman.com/

• Ice Queen
    Beginner January 2007
    Ice Queen ·
    • Hide content

Why do you think he's being underpaid? You should just do minimum wage * 24 hours per week

It depends on lots of factors - does he owe tax from previous years, has he had another job already this tax year, what tax code is he on, how often does he get paid?

• Zooneycat
    Zooneycat ·
    • Hide content

As an aside, check his tax code. If he's on BR, then he'll be on the maximum rate.

• Koshka
    Beginner July 2002
    Koshka ·
    • Hide content

IOn his pay slips all it says is the amount he gets in his hand. It doesnt mention any tax or national insurance contributions (or even his tax code). He gets £100 a week. He is paid monthly and its his only job. To my knowledge he doesnt owe any tax from previous tax years.

Thanks again!

• spacecadet_99
    Beginner
    spacecadet_99 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not an expert but would certainly check the tax side of things. Apart from anything else, if he was working past 5th April (new tax year) in his previous job then he may well be eligible for some of the tax back from that, as he may not have gone over his threshold. I know Lodger Girl finished work in June to travel for 6 months and her first pay packet when she came back was nearly double normal due to a large tax rebate which was rather handy! So I would speak to your local tax office and see if they can help.

• Ms. Scarlett
    Beginner April 2007
    Ms. Scarlett ·
    • Hide content

He's entitled to a pay slip showing tax and NI information. On that wage, he wouldn't normally be paying tax (or he'd be able to claim it back if he came out under the threshold), but he should be paying NI.

• Ice Queen
    Beginner January 2007
    Ice Queen ·
    • Hide content

So he does 24 hours per week, and gets £100 - no payslip, etc - is that correct?

If so, then this is illegal as legally he has to be given a payslip and if there has been no tax / NI deducted then he is not being paid minimum wage

• Koshka
    Beginner July 2002
    Koshka ·
    • Hide content

The last payslip he recieved all it had written on was his name and the amount he got paid - i.e £100 and the dates he recieved it. No mention of his tax code, national insurance info or even a payroll number.

• Ms. Scarlett
    Beginner April 2007
    Ms. Scarlett ·
    • Hide content

It's not actually a payslip in that case.

• Zo�
    Beginner July 2009
    Zo� ·
    • Hide content

My rough calculations works out at £124 a week after tax and ins. But it will be less if student loan is being taken.

Ignore me I was right the first time

• Zo�
    Beginner July 2009
    Zo� ·
    • Hide content

Just to give you a link about the law and payslips /payslips

• Koshka
    Beginner July 2002
    Koshka ·
    • Hide content

No student loan to pay off.

Looks like Mr Koshka will be having a chat with his employer tomorrow, or should that be the payroll department or even Acas.

Thanks again for your help, everyone

• Ice Queen
    Beginner January 2007
    Ice Queen ·
    • Hide content

I'd talk to work about it first and if he has no job then take it to ACAS

• Koshka
    Beginner July 2002
    Koshka ·
    • Hide content

Well Mr Koshka is going to ask his boss today about it all.

I called up our accountant and asked what to do, he said Mr Koshka could either speak to his employer or call the NMW helpline and explain it to them.

So in theory we should get his pay back dated for the weeks he hasn't been paid NMW - is that right?

I think its because Mr Koshka sees his employer more as a friend, especially as he loves his job and what he does, that he doesn't like to make a fuss about anything. But to me, they are breaking the law and using him and not valuing how much/ how hard he works.

• K
    Beginner July 2005
    KayJBee ·
    • Hide content

If the minimum wage is £5.52 ph (assuming Mr Koshka is over 22), the salary calculator shows that his gross per week should be £132.48.

His tax should be £5.59 and NI £3.02 leaving a take home pay of £123.87, so it would seem that he is owed some money, yes. Good luck with it all.

• Ms. Scarlett
    Beginner April 2007
    Ms. Scarlett ·
    • Hide content

It does sound very much as if he's being paid off the books (obviously illegal). Good luck!

• S
    Beginner
    SunnyGreenCars93930 ·
    • Hide content

I've had the same dillema last month when I started my new job, for whoever needs advice on the same topic in 2017, here is my breakdown:

• Minimum wage in 2017: £7.50
    • Weekly hours: 24
    • 24*£7.50 = £180/week
    • That's £9,360/year

Net pay after tax and national insurance (src: tax calculator):

• £9,2016/year
    • £768/month

I hope this keeps this page up to date and helps someone in 2017 tax year as well Smiley winking

• S
    Beginner
    SunnyGreenCars93930 ·
    • Hide content

I've had the same dillema last month when I started my new job, for whoever needs advice on the same topic in 2017, here is my breakdown:

• Minimum wage in 2017: £7.50
    • Weekly hours: 24
    • 24*£7.50 = £180/week
    • That's £9,360/year

Net pay after tax and national insurance (src: tax calculator):

• £9,2016/year
    • £768/month

I hope this keeps this

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics