Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner August 2014

Poll - How Long was your Wedding Breakfast?

CristaMB, 18 of July of 2014 at 23:07 Posted on Just Married 0 8

I've told my venue that the meal and speeches won't take longer than 2 hours (3 speeches - 1 of them's more of a toast - won't be longer than 30 minutes & meal is 3 courses)

but they insist it will take at least 2.5 hours.

So I'm just wondering how long it took you guys to get through the meal and speeches? Did it take longer than you expected?

x

8 replies

Latest activity by ClaireD*, 22 of August of 2014 at 19:58
  • L
    Beginner September 2014
    LuxuriousBlueCars171 ·
    • Hide content

Crista, I was told that 3 courses should take 1.5 hours and 3 speeches normally take 30 mins (if you can get them to keep each one to 10 mins!)

So it looks like yours will be within 2 hours. I haven't got married yet though so I don't know. Would be good to get some married brides' opinions on this!

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content

I got married 10 days ago and mine started at 4:30pm (every one was seated and we entered) and finished at 7:30(ish)pm that consisted of a 3 course meal, coffee, speeches and gift giving. My evening started at 7:30 and I remember greeting the first evening guest as we came out of the wedding breakfast x

• C
    Beginner August 2014
    CristaMB ·
    • Hide content

Wow! Thanks for that infor! So it could well be 2.5 hours then. (Really don't want the venue to be right though! :p)

Were your speeches long?

Were there any breaks in between finishing one course and beginning the next?

x

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content

Your welcome, each speech was about 5-10 mins long and there was about a 5-10 min break between each course which was staff clearing the tables and bringing the next course out x

• claire_91
    Beginner July 2014
    claire_91 ·
    • Hide content

Ours took over 2 hours. Don't underestimate how long the speeches take! They may look short on paper but they always take longer on the day.

• L
    Curious August 2015
    Leah3425 ·
    • Hide content

Great info. Cheers!

• ToBeMrsHouse
    Beginner August 2014
    ToBeMrsHouse ·
    • Hide content

Mine was on a boat that set sail at 6pm and returned at 8pm, so it all HAD to fit into 2 hours. Our (joint) speech was only around 5 minutes though and there was only one speech and a toast.

• ToBeMrsHouse
    Beginner August 2014
    ToBeMrsHouse ·
    • Hide content

Mine was on a boat that set sail at 6pm and returned at 8pm, so it all HAD to fit into 2 hours. Our (joint) speech was only around 5 minutes though and there was only one speech and a toast.

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

We had predicted 2 to 2.5 hours including speeches, and it was more like 3 hours. Again, our venue host was correct in telling us it'd be 3 hours, but we didn't believe them, LOL !

That's for 3 courses, for 100 people. You MUST take the number of people into consideration. It's a serving thing. We got served first at the top table, and we'd have almost finished eating the course by the time we saw the people on the back tables getting their dishes. That was with a decent amount of staff on duty too.

If you have less guests, eg. 50, or an uber posh venue where they have 25 waitresses silver-serving to 100 people, it'll probably speed up the dining process.

I definitely think this was the issue we didn't predict, and the cause of the lengthening of the breakfast. We just didn't think the gaps between courses would be so long, but they had to be as they wouldn't start bringing out the next course until everyone had finished the previous one.

Just be flexible with your evening schedule, if your meal goes on longer than you had predicted. We had intended to cut the cake straight after the meal, but as we finished late, we decided to leave it to later, and cut the cake at the same time as the evening buffet would be served. No biggie.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics