Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner August 2014

Makeup help!!

KB-123, 15 of January of 2014 at 17:30 Posted on Just Married 0 14

I'm getting married in August and have decided to do my own makeup (partly because I'd rather spend that money and get all new makeup than just a service for one day, and partly because I'm quite picky with my makeup!). I know it's a bit early to be worrying about it just yet but I'm going to ask for certain bits of it for my birthday in Feb so want to get the ball rolling. I was thinking of going to debenhams to get my makeup done but there's that many counters I don't know where to start! Obviously I want quite a full coverage but don't want it all to be caked in my pores (especially if it's a hot day which I'm hoping for!). I usually wear a mix of brands from boots (L'oreal, maxfactor etc) so any advice on which top end brands to go to would be fab!

I did ring MAC but it was £50 for the appointment (redeemable on products) but I've heard mixed reviews about their products so didn't want to take that risk if I wouldn't end up buying anything from them.

Thanks ladies x

14 replies

Latest activity by .A.S., 18 of August of 2014 at 12:16
  • K
    Beginner August 2014
    KB-123 ·
    • Hide content

Arghh no way! I hope you didn't pay? Well I'd always heard good things about mac then when I was doing a bit of online research I heard more bad than good! Have you decided what you're using yet? I've had Estée Lauder foundation before so may give that a try? I've also heard good things about dior foundation but have no idea what they look like price wise. I know it's my wedding day but can't stand being ripped off ha! X

• K
    Beginner August 2014
    KB-123 ·
    • Hide content

I maybe made the schools girl error of mentioning it was for my wedding as she quoted me £50 for the makeover? I was planning on getting my makeup done in debenhams to test the look of the products then buy them to do myself on the big day! Eeek! Maybe I'll just call in to the MAC counter next time I'm passing and won't mention it's for my wedding to get it cheaper? As long as the products are nice I'm not too bothered whether the counter girl is any good as I'll apply it how I like so it's more 'me' on the day.

Would you recommend any of their other products or just the base foundation?

Thanks for your help! X

Beginner March 2007
    *Sarah* ·
    • Hide content

Bobbi Brown are really good for natural colours. They also do a few different makeup lessons. I've always really rated their products and staff, especially range of foundation colours.

Maybe search You tube for tutorials on technique and products too?

• H
    Beginner October 2015
    HarryJonMUA ·
    • Hide content

Hi

We're due to get married oct 15, im a hair and makeup artist but I know ill develope shakey hands on the big day. We're not all bad though!!

Im a big lover of airbrush makeup, its light and lasts but you need a pro for that. Bobbi brown & illamasqua are great. High street bases I prefer Dior and a friend of mine swears by Chanel lumineer- I think its called. If possible go for a few makeovers, just say you want good coverage but not heavy and whatever style you are going for - fresh faced, smokey eye wtc. It does all depend on the artist you get though but you'll pick up different pointer s up off different artists.

Like the other bride said you tube is good for inspiration and Lisa Aldridge site.

Hope this helps

Clare

X

• K
    Beginner August 2014
    KB-123 ·
    • Hide content

Hi ladies

Just to let you all know, I went to the mac counter in debenhams this weekend and was casually browsing when one of the assistants asked if I needed any help. I told him I was looking for a new makeup set and didn't know where to start. He said he'd try a few different options on me, but I ended up getting all my makeup done for free! Obviously it wasn't as in depth appointment as if I'd have booked the wedding makeover but I didn't want to spend £50 if I didn't like the products.

Anyway - I really liked the primer, foundation and setting powder and the assistant gave me a sample pot of some highlighter cream for free (which will last me AGES as you only need a tiny bit). I did think the mascara was crap and the eyeliner was ok but no different to many of the brands I'd get from boots for half the price!

So all in all - definitely worthwhile going but don't mention it's for your wedding or (like everything else) things get expensive!

Thanks for for all your advice x

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, I'm getting married in August and my birthday's in February too! I'm going with Bare Minerals - ordered their Romantic eyeshadow pallette for the day.

• JadeW
    JadeW ·
    • Hide content

The wedding day can be a stressful time so why not take the pressure out of getting ready by hiring a professional to do it all for you, so you can sit back whilst, creates flawless radiant skin and perfectly styled hair which will last through the day.

• GMC Weddings
    Beginner July 2014
    GMC Weddings ·
    • Hide content

Hi.

I am getting married in July and like you, I have decided to do my own makeup on the day.

My favourite make up is dior and I have visited debenhams several times and explained what I want, they have done my make up and I am buying it bit by bit - they do the makeup for free and I take my bridesmaid with me who she shows and explains how she is doing it and so if I have any problems my bridesmaid will be able to help!

Hope that helps!

Melissa

• P
    Beginner June 2014
    Pix-e ·
    • Hide content

I just got married and I was thinking about doing my own but luckily got a friend who is a make up artist to do it. You have to make sure your base is really good and use a primer as it will be noticeable in the photos otherwise. MAC tends to be over hyped in my opinion and not great at lasting. My friend used mainly Bobby Brown make up on me and it really stayed put. I was so happy with it and even my OH made a comment on how nice it was during the day. A tip I would pass on... My eye lids tend to get a bit greasy and crease eye shadow by the end of the day so she had to make sure the powder foundation was over my eye lids quite a bit before putting the eye shadow on to help it stay. It was brilliant and I even do this myself ona daily basis Smiley smile do some trials and practice on yourself too! good luck!! Xx

• L
    Curious August 2015
    Leah3425 ·
    • Hide content

This was great info from you all. I will take it all and hopefully have the the perfect makeup x cheers

• .A.S.
    Beginner July 2014
    .A.S. ·
    • Hide content

Hiya hon,

There are a few different routes you can go down:

Do it yourself with your own products
    Buy your products and hire someone to apply
    Go 100% MUA

(I personally like the second option but that's less common)

As to what to buy... there are a ton of different options to go for as well as what to avoid so it's quite difficult to just throw names out there willy nilly, but I would gladly help you in more detail. Drop me a line at the blog address below if you like.

xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics