Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner February 2014

Gypsophila as flowers

Wifeytobe88, 12 of May of 2013 at 18:06 Posted on Planning 0 19

Hi everyone Smiley smile

I'm getting married Feb 22nd next year, so a late winter wedding. My colour scheme is going to be duck egg blue and silver. For my flowers (four bridesmaids and me) I'm thinking about having gypsophila ('baby's breath') in duck egg blue. It's just for the bouquets as my centrepieces won't involve flowers.

What does everyone think, are they suitable for a wedding, in particular winter? I just really love the look of them, and the bonus is that they're cheap too by the sounds of it (£35 for bride's bouquet and £30 for each bridesmaid - is this cheap for wedding flowers?!)

Thanks in advance!

Miss D soon to be Mrs S!

19 replies

Latest activity by Marilyn, 14 of May of 2013 at 16:39
  • *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I'm having gyp too as I love how 'soft' it looks. My bm's are having it and it'll be the centre pieces too. I'm getting married at the end of March but I think it suits weddings all year round to be honest.

Also, I think my bm bouquets are the same price as you've been quoted (I'm having a different bouquet).

Some people have noted that it can smell a bit but I've heard that the better quality stuff doesn't smell (and you'd be getting the better stuff I imagine).

• Dizzygal
    Beginner December 2013
    Dizzygal ·
    • Hide content

1. I love the idea of gyp reminds me of fluffy snow!!! Combined with the duck egg blue, it's like winter shimmer. Without bring to obvious ie using holly during a winter wedding. Loving your theme one of my more recent choices!
  • W
    Beginner February 2014
    Wifeytobe88 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks girls! I wasn't sure if they looked wintery or not, thought maybe they looked to 'spring', so glad others think they do!

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Gypsophila are lovely in a bouquet and very much all the rage right now, it sounds like it'll be perf. I can't comment on prices though Smiley smile

• C
    Beginner March 2014
    cornishbride2bee ·
    • Hide content

Sounds lovely....we marry March 30th 2014 nd having a lot of gyp too. xx

• Katie V
    Katie V ·
    • Hide content

DO IT!!!!!!

Seriously how stunning is this bouquet???? I love a bit of Gyp!!! :-)

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Here you go (Sorry for the watermarking, but this is my stuff ready for my blog in a week or two).

• M
    Marilyn ·
    • Hide content

Gyp is the up and coming flower of the moment it only comes in white or pink though and I would not recommend trying to dye it but white on duck egg blue will be lovely.

It shouldn't smell, it is what they have to spray it with before they import it that causes that and as long as it is unwrapped and handled correctly I have never had a problem with it.

• Dizzygal
    Beginner December 2013
    Dizzygal ·
    • Hide content

I'm opting for this, as my theme is red & ivory & will be perfect for my December 28th 2013 Studley Castle wedding. I'm opting for a rich warm, theme with a shimmer of winter bling.

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

I love gyp too! But I've also fallen for these astilbe bouquets....I just think they are gorgeous for a wintery wedding Smiley heart

• M
    Marilyn ·
    • Hide content

Astilbie is really a summer flowers so if it is avaliable it would be expensive in the wineter, depending on the date of the wedding you may find it is not avaliable

For Dec 28th I hope you have found a florist who is willing to supply fresh flowers. A lot of florists can't do them as there are very limited deliveries between 23rd Dec and Jan 3rd.

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

Awwww shame for OP but I like it even more now I know I may be able to add it into mine :0)

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Im having bunches of gyp dotted all over my venue. I think its sooo pretty and simple!

I'm planning on getting mine from the supermarket the day before to cut costs as it doesnt have to be "arranged" as such!

• Dizzygal
    Beginner December 2013
    Dizzygal ·
    • Hide content

Marilyn, I'm so glad to hear what you just said i to get married 28th December 2013. I searched high & low for a florist with them ALL refusing to do my flowers! Most people assume its due to it being Xmas!!!! It's not is it, is due to the delivery of flower to the UK (I believe come from holland). They don't deliver flowers to the UK during Xmas until the new year. So basically their last delivery to the uk i think is either on a Tuesday or Thursday (Begins with. T either way!!!!!) that's providing its not a Xmas eve, Xmas day ect. If you can find florist the flowers will NOT be fresh. Even people i knew turned me away, even I was surprised. I do have a friend that's doing my flowers now, I'm optimistic as I know he'll nearly dead!!!! Anyhow I'm "boxing clever" as hey say I'm not using them for my bouquets they're crystal or for my button holes they're feather. I'm using them for top table ect. Hence gyp being my choice, it was that or holly and greenery. Due to these types of flowers having good longevity! all with just a few red roses. Late December brides please DON'T forget this as we attended a wedding reception 27th/12/12 they had roses for button holes they were supposed to be ivory. They looked more brown!!!!!

• E
    Beginner October 2013
    Emma158 ·
    • Hide content

We are having astilbe bouquets and some centrepieces in October so I hope it's OK...bit worried now, although my florist seemed to think it'd be fine. (I hope)

• Dizzygal
    Beginner December 2013
    Dizzygal ·
    • Hide content

If this makes any difference I just had literally a 30second check on the net!!!! Basically If you were to plant it in your garden it flowers from July until October. i checked 5 UK sources i might add, still think I'm at university!!!! Anyhow I would say you have nothing to worry about you've just made it and I'm sure it will still be available & gorgeous for your october wedding Smiley smile Your florist is trustworthy, I hope this helps settle your nerves. I can't believe I'm actually enjoying these forums & commenting!!!!

• E
    Beginner October 2013
    Emma158 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks dizzygal :-)

• Dizzygal
    Beginner December 2013
    Dizzygal ·
    • Hide content

You are very very welcome!!!!! Smiley smile

• M
    Marilyn ·
    • Hide content

October should be fine what I was worried about was if someone was expecting Astilbie in Jan / Feb as that would be unlikley to be avaliable.

December brides yes do check, there is usually one deliver between Xmas and New year from Holland but the way the dates fall this year it could be Sat 28th and it is always very limited. If the wedding is that day it is too late to get the flowers in and make them up into bouquets and arrangements etc, Ok if it is a Sunday / Monday wedding. Having said that many florists close down from Dec 24th to Jan 3rd for a holiday for exactly that reason so you may struggle..........

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics